IPCop problems

doh-nut

Supreme [H]ardness
not getting much help from the ircop irc channel.

i have ipcop working fine, except for a couple things. the dynamic dns feature isn't working yet. i have a dynamic dns account with freedns.afraid.org, and ipcop has them in their drop down box of supported dynamic dns proviers. yeay. but its just not updating

i put in the relevant information, my domain, my username, password, although there is a hostname field, i have no clue what should go there, although ive tried everything i can think of. i force update and nothing happens.

anything special i have to do outside of the dynamic dns section to get dynamic dns to work?

Make sure the contact port is open? Not even sure if you need to or not. Does the log say anything about a firewall hit during the time you did a force update? Never played with dynamic dns on my box.

well the firewall log doesn't show anything that i can see related to it, but heres what the system log says:

ipcop Dynamic DNS afraid.org : failure ( ERROR: Missing S/key and DataID, check your update URL.)

there isn't even a place to put the update URL though. so i dont understand that. all the info is in there.

i emailed the guy at sourceforge who actually put in the support for it. i would have never figured it out. the username has to be your URL string you use for afraid.org(JSlehzdhe...), password field not used, hostname field not used. works like a charm

Glad to see you have it worked out. It was a little trial and error for me and no-ip before I could get that to work.

I have had my IPCop up for a week now and love it. How do you like it so far?

its really great. now i dont have to buy that dlink gaming router :D IPCop has every feature that i was looking for plus more that i didn't think were possible. i like how the different color interfaces work, its a awesome idea really. thank god for the web interface though, when i was presented with a commandline after logging in as root on the machine, im like oook i know SQUAT about linux. naturally i tried a bunch of dos commands and then felt really stupid eheh.

LOL. I downloaded the quick start guide, setup guide, and admin guide and printed them out before I started. Otherwise, that command line would have worried me too.

I have mine running on a 400 celery, 256RAM, and 3400RPM 1GB drive. I have the web cache set for 1000 megs and finally after a week, it is now using all the RAM. That web proxy is pretty nice. I am getting about 25% hits using it and it has it's own error pages so you don't end up with FireFox's dialog box.

so the web proxy basically loads a web page into its memory so that if 2 users load the same web page, they dont download it twice? or am i off?

im also wondering how people do their traffic shaping so that games/and refreshing game servers can be quick while bittorrents/downloads are going.

the web proxy works pretty much just like your temporary internet files, except it if for the whole network

Put it on transparent, then the proxy is automatic and IPCop checks to see if it has the files and uses them and downloads the new files it's doesn't have.

ah cool. know a surefire way to test to see if the web proxy is working correctly?

im also wondering about the traffic shaper feature where you specify a port and its priority. im wondering if the specified port priority is the destination port or the source port though. anyone know?

oh and ive been looking for a way to block outgoing ports with IPCop, is this possible?

Have you downloaded the manual? Alot of this is covered in the manual. It is well written with lots of screenshots. I was suprised at how well it was made.

As for the blocking of outgoing ports, I am not sure. Since this is an edge firewall, I don't think that is possible. My SonicWall has that feature as part of it's web filter.

yea i read the manual, but it didn't specify about which port is used for traffic shaping. i just emailed one of the devs though, and its the destination port that is affected, but you can't specify ranges, argh!

oh and i dowlnoaded an addon where you can block outgoing ports in IPCop:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=91530&package_id=137644&release_id=289368

works really well, but it blocks ALL outgoing ports by default(except if you have web proxy enabled, port 80 goes through). so then i just made one big rule to let everything out, and then you can block individually from there.

Hmm, I don't know if port 222 is standard for SSH or something, but how come they don't say that much in the documentation? Oh well it probably is in the manual, yes I read it, still didn't see it too clear though. I ended up seeing port 222 in some google search description just by chance when looking for possible types of addons.

Anyways I used WinSCP to transfer the files over, then putty to connect to the command line through SSH. Some addons require the addon server mod, some don't... I once accidently untarred a compressed file and tried to run the ./setup or something when it was supposted to be uploaded through the addon mod page... opps, everything still works fine but I bet I fucked something up. I ran the uninstall and ignored whatever errors came about, deleted temp files, everything works.

The only addons I find useful are the IP traffic real time viewer (through SSH) and the Net-Traffic addon.

Back