IPCop help

AMD[H]unter

[H]F Junkie
Hey guys, I am having trouble getting my IPCop machine workin. I want to use it as a firewall and keep my current router, which is a WRT54G v4. I am stumped as to the way to do this:

Cable Modem --> Router --> IPCop --> Switch

How would I go about setting that up?

your WRT54G has a firewall builtin... probably very similar to IPCOP's...

i'm thinking this may not be the right application for IPCOP... is there any other features (that maybe your linksys doesn't have) for IPCOP that you wanted besides the security of the firewall?

IPCOP is kind of supposed to be a replacement for your router (or what i like to call, a NIB, network in a box)

now if you wanted to use the linksys for wireless connection, and your IPCOP for firewall, NAT, and routing, i would go

cable modem -> ipcop -> LAN PORT on linksys (dhcp server disabled, set static address to admin access) -> LAN PORTS PCs/switches/etc

OR you could double up the firewall and nat on your wireless network by connecting the WAN port up to.....

cable modem -> ipcop -> switch -> PCs/ WAN port on linksys (all devices connected to this via LAN ports or wireless would be double firewall, double NATed) / etc

I would like to just replace the router, but then I would have to figure something out for wireless. The reason I am wanting the IPCop box is because more rules are possible.

it should, if you set up the RED to accept a DHCP address, hook the RED port up to your network, this is the way i have mine set up at the moment, just to mess around with it...

try rebooting, or click connect or refresh button on the administrative home page

i'm kind of new to IPCOP (installed and messed with it today) but it is my understanding that those buttons on that first page are for your RED connection

I have a similar setup.

Cable modem -> IPCOP -> 8 Port Switch -> WRT54G

Switch is for hard wired PC's.

WRT54G... well I'm just using it as an Access Point for wireless.

Like goodcooper said, disable DHCP on WRT54G and set to static IP

My IP's are like this:

IPCOP box 192.168.0.1
WRT54G 192.168.0.66 (66... just because)

Things I need to figure out with IPCOP:
1) setting up IPSEC certificates to have VPN going from my wireless laptop to my IPCOP box
2) Using a wireless NIC in my IPCOP box... This would remove the need for my WRT54G

Any takers?

Back