iPad Pro preorders start Wednesday 11/11

This article states 2gb of RAM, whereas plenty of others have been saying 4gb. Which is it?

I could see the extra ram being useful for the split screen multitasking, which is going to be more useful on this thing...

This article states 2gb of RAM, whereas plenty of others have been saying 4gb. Which is it?

That's interesting, I thought it was 4 GB also but from what I can tell that came from Adobe originally and they later pulled back the info. I'd be shocked if it were only 2 considering that side by side apps is something Apple is touting on this thing. That and the pen make an appearance in the first ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AZR8a5XVSs

And it looks like the Apple is starting the message on how this will be marketed, as a laptop replacement: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...ks-and-desktops-for-many-many-people.1936431/

Makes sense when compared to MacBooks but not so much when compared to PCs at this price. Looking at the comments in that thread however, it doesn't seem even too many Mac folks buy that argument. Of course it's a more technical forum. If all one needed were the basics like Office and web browsing something like an iPad Pro should probably be enough. Though as a laptop I'm guessing it will have similar issues with working in the lap as many tablet/hybrid devices do.

It makes no sense when compared to MacBooks. lol

Not saying it does. It looks to be Apple's marketing approach with the iPad Pro. It clearly isn't meant to compete with much cheaper tablets and is Apple's take on 2 in 1 devices for now.

I see the device doing very well at launch for something like it at this price. But longer term the idea of it being a laptop replacement at this price is a tougher sell especially outside the Apple ecosystem.

Not saying it does. It looks to be Apple's marketing approach with the iPad Pro. It clearly isn't meant to compete with much cheaper tablets and is Apple's take on 2 in 1 devices for now.

I see the device doing very well at launch for something like it at this price. But longer term the idea of it being a laptop replacement at this price is a tougher sell especially outside the Apple ecosystem.

I think it'll make a fine laptop replacement for many people. If it's not for you, I'm sure you know it.

A lot of people get hung up on the filesystem bit, but in many ways I think a traditional filesystem is messy for people who don't really need it. The walled garden approach simplifies things and is plenty flexible for a swath of the market.

I think it'll make a fine laptop replacement for many people. If it's not for you, I'm sure you know it.

A lot of people get hung up on the filesystem bit, but in many ways I think a traditional filesystem is messy for people who don't really need it. The walled garden approach simplifies things and is plenty flexible for a swath of the market.

I agree that it could be a laptop replacement for certain folks. But it's a good deal of money for a simplified device and as a device that needs to work in the lap for typing it looks to be problematic. But there is the pen which for me is the interesting feature.

I'm just wondering where this goes. It's being marketed as a productivity device and tablets, not even the iPad, have really cracked that market. That's why I think 2 in 1s have gained a lot of traction. The iPad Pro is certainly a better tablet than any 2 in 1 like the Surface line but there's more than just the file system that's lost on the laptop side. Like a trackpad.

Andddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd if I had the money to get one... I probably would.

I think these are too expensive honestly. And they REALLY stick it to you for accessories for this thing.

I think these are too expensive honestly. And they REALLY stick it to you for accessories for this thing.

The cost of the Surface line and the extra cost for the keyboard have long been sticking points for it but buyers seemed to have accepted it now so I don' think it'll be any problem for the people who will buy the iPad Pro. I would imagine most will get the keyboard cover, that almost seems to be a necessity for a tablet this size. I'm guessing most will pick up the pen eventually because that's really one of the main points here though it will be a fine touch tablet otherwise.

The cost of the Surface line and the extra cost for the keyboard have long been sticking points for it but buyers seemed to have accepted it now so I don' think it'll be any problem for the people who will buy the iPad Pro. I would imagine most will get the keyboard cover, that almost seems to be a necessity for a tablet this size. I'm guessing most will pick up the pen eventually because that's really one of the main points here though it will be a fine touch tablet otherwise.

I think the vast majority of users would be better off buying an iPad Air 2. The Surface is a REAL computer so to me it makes more sense to buy a Macbook if you want that.

I think the vast majority of users would be better off buying an iPad Air 2. The Surface is a REAL computer so to me it makes more sense to buy a Macbook if you want that.

I think one of the things that's difficult to describe about devices like the Surface and other 2 in 1s is their flexibility. Yes, there are faster laptops for less money. And obviously better tablets for less money. But a 2 in 1 can serve both purposes in one device. And the Surface line is simply some of the best hardware out there with the flexibility.

You don't buy a Surface device unless as some point you're using it as tablet with touch or the pen. That would include even the Surface Book in my opinion. If one want's either a tablet or a laptop and doesn't need or want the combination then something like a Surface isn't the device for them.

My thinking is that unless someone just want's that really big touch screen then there's nothing an iPad Pro offers. Unless they want something like a 2 in 1 when attached to a keyboard or if they want the pen.

I think one of the things that's difficult to describe about devices like the Surface and other 2 in 1s is their flexibility. Yes, there are faster laptops for less money. And obviously better tablets for less money. But a 2 in 1 can serve both purposes in one device. And the Surface line is simply some of the best hardware out there with the flexibility.

You don't buy a Surface device unless as some point you're using it as tablet with touch or the pen. That would include even the Surface Book in my opinion. If one want's either a tablet or a laptop and doesn't need or want the combination then something like a Surface isn't the device for them.

My thinking is that unless someone just want's that really big touch screen then there's nothing an iPad Pro offers. Unless they want something like a 2 in 1 when attached to a keyboard or if they want the pen.

I was trying to say that most users should pick either the surface, an ipad air 2 or a macbook over the ipad pro. the ipad pro is expensive and less flexible than the macbook and certainly less than the surface. just my 2 cents.

<Personal Opinion that may rile buyers *be warned*>

This just doesn't fit into my workflow/lifestyle. I doubt it will be a big seller just due to cost and not really being a useful size for most people. Personally I feel the iPad Mini is still the one to have. It's big enough physically for basically any content, has the same resolution as the Retina/Air, and is small and portable enough to carry most anywhere (albeit not pocketable).

For the same price as the iPad Pro ($799) this is a much better alternative: The Wacom Cintiq Hybrid. It's already a proven device. Comes with a Pen. It has Wacom's digitizer and interface, which once again is proven and basically perfect. And it has the option of being attached to a Mac or PC and be used as a second display/pen device for Photoshop/Corel or whatever your pleasure. That last feature in particular is killer. For digital artists and retouchers it allows for work on the go seamlessly transitioning to work on a machine with more horsepower. (It's running Android, for those interested in OS).

No nickel and dime-ing either. The pen comes with it... and Wacom pens are serious business.

Wacom also makes a full blown computer called the Cintiq Companion 2 which is similar except that it's a full blown computer running Windows 8.1/10. i5/i7, SSD only (starting at 128GB), and starting at 8GB of RAM. That has a much more hefty price tag starting at $1999 (On Amazon, Wacom charges more direct). But if you're serious about pen displays for work then it's a far more useful tool than the iPad "Pro". If you need serious portability for on the go work, than this is the only alternative worth considering. Otherwise, most people are probably using a Macbook Pro/Air and a Wacom Intuos Pro. Which works just as well, it just means you have more stuff to carry, whereas the Companion 2 would be a single device.

I love using Apple products. All my computers and mobile devices are Apple. So I'm saying this is a very unbiased way: The iPad Pro is a limp-wristed product that doesn't really fit into the landscape for professionals and is out of reach for most casual users. I acknowledge that it is fast (Apple's A series of processors are no joke). And it's big. But the pen stuff and the keyboard stuff isn't integrated seriously enough for consideration. I can't see how someone would choose this over a Wacom or a Surface in order to get things done. And if it's just for consumption, then you might as well go with a smaller iPad for portability reasons.

</Personal Opinion that may rile buyers *be warned*>

If the iPad Pro's digitizer can match the Wacom and if it can be used as a display for Photoshop when attached to a Mac, then I'll eat my words. In that case, the iPad Pro would be worth its cost. But so far, no iPad has allowed usage as a display without hacks. It would have to be native and the pen would have to work with productivity apps when attached to a Mac perfectly.

===

EDIT 2: I may have to eat my words sooner than expected. We'll see. I watched the keynote, which helped me to better understand what this product is all about. The productivity seems at least "so-so". It will need something more robust than Photoshop Elements or Photoshop Fix to be considered. But it does have a list of other apps that take advantage of what it can do. If Duet (linked above) can integrate the pen usage into their display hack, this device might be worth it after all. But the problem I see is that even with a Lightning connector, the latency may be too great on a display of this resolution... making using "Pencil" in Photoshop un or less responsive than you'd want for a workflow of this type.

So in other words, it is yet to be seen. If the right apps get developed like a Photoshop that can do at the very least the basics of retouching: Clone Stamping, Healing Brush, Dodge & Burn via Curves adjustment, Layers, Adjustment Layers (Curves, Levels, Channel Mixer, Exposure, etc at a Minimum), and a Camera Raw conversion tool (with a full suite of control), and it can seamlessly move back and forth with Photoshop on desktop being used as an interface device, it could be killer for retouchers. Especially paired with something like a "Camera Kit" allowing photos to be "uploaded" directly from a CF and SD card.

As for other industries, I can't speak for them. I'm not certain if what they showed is really robust enough for designers, 3D modelers, or Illustrators. I will admit, even not knowing those areas nearly as well as I know photography, that I doubt those tools are robust and/or complete enough to replace work done on a laptop.

Last edited:
I was trying to say that most users should pick either the surface, an ipad air 2 or a macbook over the ipad pro. the ipad pro is expensive and less flexible than the macbook and certainly less than the surface. just my 2 cents.

I agree. Each of these devices is very different from the others.

I'm not an artist nor anything like that, but I do dabble in composing / arranging music from time to time. I'm hopeful someone comes out with an app that will allow scoring using the Pen. That'll be interesting for me.

Also I use my iPad Air to watch tv / movies at night before bed. Don't bring it out much. Considering the iPad Pro because, well, bigger screen is better right???

I have to say, the Pro is better than I expected. It looks big at first, but after a few minutes I learned appreciate the size, it's snappy to use, surprisingly light, and sturdy feeling. Maybe one of the most surprising features are the speakers, they sound pretty damn good.

Heh, I like it.

Just ordered one. Now to find a real good protective case. Not much to choose from on Amazon.com and they aren't shipping until November 20th.

Got the non LTE version today. I'm using it now writing this post with the logitech create keyboard/case. I like the feel of the logitech keyboard. Fast and full size keyboard. I'm using the iPad Pro more and more than my Mcbook Pro 2015 13" that I just got last month from here. THe backlit keyboard works wonder. Almost like the Mcbook pro keyboard.

Although the built quality is not as top notch. It's made of hard plastic but the case itself is very sturdy and the iPad Pro is well protected when its closed. Overall, I'd give the logitech keyboard 8/10. Easy to use, full size keyboard, backlit keyboard and additional functionality than the iPad pro smart cover keyboard.

Got the non LTE version today. I'm using it now writing this post with the logitech create keyboard/case. I like the feel of the logitech keyboard. Fast and full size keyboard. I'm using the iPad Pro more and more than my Mcbook Pro 2015 13" that I just got last month from here. THe backlit keyboard works wonder. Almost like the Mcbook pro keyboard.

Although the built quality is not as top notch. It's made of hard plastic but the case itself is very sturdy and the iPad Pro is well protected when its closed. Overall, I'd give the logitech keyboard 8/10. Easy to use, full size keyboard, backlit keyboard and additional functionality than the iPad pro smart cover keyboard.

I was thinking about getting that Logitech keyboard but I hear it weighs more then the actual iPad Pro. Is that true?

It adds a little weight but protects the iPad pro nicely. I dont have the exact weight but it feels great when it's enclosed. I could say this though; if you have this keyboard/case installed, it feels like it's a laptop/macbook.

Why not just get the keyboard cover?

Not enough protection. Three young kids around the house. They know they're not supposed to touch it. But when left alone for even a few minutes, they will get their hands on it.

Not enough protection. Three young kids around the house. They know they're not supposed to touch it. But when left alone for even a few minutes, they will get their hands on it.

Thanks. I was genuinely curious.

I went to the Apple store and checked out the Logitech keyboard/case for the iPad Pro. While I agree that it's a great keyboard and the cover offers decent protection the biggest problem is the weight. With the keyboard cover the iPad Pro weighs 3.2 pounds. That's more then most ultrabooks and over a pound more then my Macbook. Even the Macbook Air is lighter. I'm not sure if carrying around a 3.2 pound iPad makes sense for me personally.

I went to the Apple store and checked out the Logitech keyboard/case for the iPad Pro. While I agree that it's a great keyboard and the cover offers decent protection the biggest problem is the weight. With the keyboard cover the iPad Pro weighs 3.2 pounds. That's more then most ultrabooks and over a pound more then my Macbook. Even the Macbook Air is lighter. I'm not sure if carrying around a 3.2 pound iPad makes sense for me personally.

Yeah, the total weight of that setup is kind of crazy for a mobile OS tablet. The cover does and a lot of protection though.

Just wanted to let you guys know that the iPad Pro works amazingly well as a second screen. I'm using the Duet Display app. I've tested it with my Dell XPS 13 and my MacBook and it works great on both. The app is $16 but I personally think it's well worth the price.

I can't wait to get my pro. Just waiting to see if I can get it a little cheaper on BF. Going to be using it mainly for drawing.

Here's a terrible picture of the iPad Pro being used as a second display:

wgycsl.jpg

Using DuetDisplay or something else? Are you able to use pencil on it while it's being used as a second display?

Yes... I'm using Duet Display. The touch screen works perfectly fine while Duet Display is running. We can finally control OS X via touch controls! :D

Yes... I'm using Duet Display. The touch screen works perfectly fine while Duet Display is running. We can finally control OS X via touch controls! :D

Interesting. I'm wondering if there is any lag when doing photo intensive applications then. If you can use an iPad to replace a Wacom tablet, then that is pretty significant. Especially considering that it would "replace" a Cintiq. The iPad Pro in particular has an extremely high resolution display. There is a lot of potential there, once again provided it can handle 1GBish or so PSDs without any form of delay. The only other issue is whether or not Duet Display allows the iPad to be color calibrated/luminance calibrated like any external display.

Interesting. I'm wondering if there is any lag when doing photo intensive applications then. If you can use an iPad to replace a Wacom tablet, then that is pretty significant. Especially considering that it would "replace" a Cintiq. The iPad Pro in particular has an extremely high resolution display. There is a lot of potential there, once again provided it can handle 1GBish or so PSDs without any form of delay. The only other issue is whether or not Duet Display allows the iPad to be color calibrated/luminance calibrated like any external display.

So for this particular function I think you should look at this app:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/astropad-graphics-tablet/id934510730?mt=8

Duet Display works great as a second screen but at full Retina resolution there is a bit of lag on my Macbook. On my iMac it's perfectly smooth (60fps) at max resolution.

So for this particular function I think you should look at this app:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/astropad-graphics-tablet/id934510730?mt=8

Duet Display works great as a second screen but at full Retina resolution there is a bit of lag on my Macbook. On my iMac it's perfectly smooth (60fps) at max resolution.

Thanks. I added it to my wish list to investigate further. I don't have an iPad right now, I sold my last one, but this is just something interesting to consider. I currently work on a Wacom Intuos 5 (same as the Pro with minor differences). Retouching on an iPad isn't a solution I "need" as much as it would be interesting to see if it's more effective than my current method. For sure it is more graphics/CPU intensive.

Back