iPad Pro Performs Poorly In Teardown Report

It looks like as long as you can get the display off without breaking it, taking the rest apart is trivial.

It's surprisingly a very nice piece of hardware I have to say. It's not small, funny to put my old iPad mini on top of it, almost fit 2.5 of them. Feels solid and light, so I figured it was be glued. Guess I was right.

I figured, new digitizer and all would make it quite a bit more complicated

Well that's two points higher than what the Surface Book got. It does look like this isn't that hard to take apart when you get past the screen. But again it's adhesives that make these kinds of devices less than ideal for self-serviceing.

3/10 is actually a pretty decent rating on iFixIt. Poorly compared to what?

3/10 is actually a pretty decent rating on iFixIt. Poorly compared to what?

Isn't a lot of the score due to how easy it is to replace parts? iPads, Surface, etc. aren't supposed to be user serviceable at all. Most of the time when you send them in for repair, you're getting a different unit back. They aren't supposed to score high. I'd like them to, and be able to work on them, upgrade them, etc., but the reality of these new devices is that you can't. I accept that. So, the 3/10 score isn't bad for what it is.

Isn't a lot of the score due to how easy it is to replace parts? iPads, Surface, etc. aren't supposed to be user serviceable at all. Most of the time when you send them in for repair, you're getting a different unit back. They aren't supposed to score high. I'd like them to, and be able to work on them, upgrade them, etc., but the reality of these new devices is that you can't. I accept that. So, the 3/10 score isn't bad for what it is.

Every time you get a last post it changes the entire meaning of topic titles.

T8T2alx.jpg

Yes, usually about half the score has to do with how easy it is to open and extract the components, and the other half is how easy it is to source new parts (including tools like special screwdrivers) and successfully install them. iFixIt will change the weights of these slightly depending on the product in question, but the iPad Pro does decently well, all things considered. It scores better than the Surface Pro and Book, better than the other shipping iPads and equal with the Nexus 9. The improvement over the other iPads in repairability is interesting, but I wonder if it's mostly just the result of it being a first-gen product, since the original iPad was easier to open and service than the iPad 2, mostly due to all the glue required to get the 2nd-gen tablet so thin.

Its a sad day when a 3 is considered a good score. Oh and almost every device out there is easy once you get past the horrible screen if you don't break it incurring extra costs in the process.

I've given up and now my only concern is the battery. I simply will no longer buy a battery operated device in which I can't easily replace the battery. It would be nice if these types of devices were built to be easily serviced but given the way things are these days, the best I can hope for is the battery and that's where I draw the line (my Surface Pro 1 was the last sealed battery device I've bought--the cost of replacing the battery is ridiculous).

I'm not talking really cheap tablets like a $50 one where the battery life and the life of the device are probably synonymous but on the higher end devices (but even in the cheap devices it would probably be the deciding factor in which model I bought).

So, when the battery dies on these things you just throw them in the trash can? What a wasteful society.

Does anyone actually care about this score? I mean, does it figure into your decision to purchase a product? I know I couldn't give two shits about it because I'm never going to open it or try to replace parts. This applies to sealed phones, tablets, game consoles, toasters, TVs, etc.

Does anyone actually care about this score? I mean, does it figure into your decision to purchase a product? I know I couldn't give two shits about it because I'm never going to open it or try to replace parts. This applies to sealed phones, tablets, game consoles, toasters, TVs, etc.

I care, for anyone who has kids its really nice to know that a device wont be garbage or more expensive to fix once the battery goes down. Same for anyone who resells items.

Its not just about if YOU will open the device its about anyone. Simply put even if you pay someone to replace the battery in the device it will cost you more to pay them because its harder to replace. Sometimes they will just strait up charge you extra money for parts they are pretty sure are going to break when they pull it apart. Same with resale part of the price of reselling a device is the factored in tear down costs.

A great example was the HTC 4G LTE which I mistakenly bought, the phone was so sealed up and hard to work with the costs to replace anything became so high the phone was totaled if you broke the screen not that long after it released.

It's much more profitable to Apple to make it non-user serviceable so they can charge you a recurring warranty plan or make you pay $599 to replace the display without. To understand the decisions you have to think like Apple purely in profit$.

As opposed to what companies who don't think in pure profit$?

As opposed to what companies who don't think in pure profit$?

Google. They invest more in R&D than they do in ensuring profit margins. Great profit margins have been a result of their willing to experiment.

Case in point, Google Fiber. Everyone, including Google themselves, suggested that there was no way what they were doing would turn a profit. High speed for low price, aggressive rollout, etc.

Google Fiber is turning a profit.

There's a difference between profit and Apple greed like charging nearly the price of the device for just replacing the display component, giving you a joke of 32GB storage on a device that's suppose to be a PC replacement and charge the same as Surface Pro 4 with 128GB, etc.

Back