iPad "offline" mode

gwai lo

[H]ard|Gawd
Sorry if this has been answered, but I did some searching around and I had trouble finding stuff.

I'm contemplating getting an iPad, one of the major uses being to read while I ride the bus to and from work. However, I don't want to pay for a data plan...I have a blackberry and wanted to tether, but from googling around, it looks like I have to jump through a whole bunch of hoops and in the end it may or may not work. What I have in mind is grabbing stuff I RSS to via wifi before leaving the house and then going through them all on the bus...but I can't seem to find enough details about the RSS apps to see if they do this.

So can anyone with an iPad tell me whether this is viable? Or is anyone in a similar situation and have a pretty good solution?

Thanks guys

Reeder will download your google news feed, but not the actual article. I've been playing with Flipboard, but can't tell you if it will download the whole article. The amount of data you would need is like 15 a month for 250MB. If that's all you're doing.

Yeah I know it isn't too much, just trying to save money where I can. Looks like I'll just have to deal with it, oh well. Thanks for the response.

Pretty much all the RSS apps will cache all the unread articles and images if you tell them to.

Even the free ones. It's a standard feature.

Reader will do it, but only really works for feeds that are loaded up completely anyway. The ones that say "hit the jump to read the article" won't be downloaded.

I use Instapaper. When I'm in Google Reader in the morning I send a bunch of stuff to Instapaper. Sync it up before I leave, and then I have the whole articles on my iPad while I'm on my hour long bus commute to work each day.

I use Instapaper. When I'm in Google Reader in the morning I send a bunch of stuff to Instapaper. Sync it up before I leave, and then I have the whole articles on my iPad while I'm on my hour long bus commute to work each day.
Oh awesome, sounds like you're doing what I was hoping I could be doing.

I'll check out mobilerss too, it's kind of dumb how all these things seem so obvious *after* posting the thread.

Back