iPad & Apple Configurator

d4nnn

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi, I've been distributing iPads through the use of Apple Configurator, however, I have come across a problem with a request on the next batch.

It is a school setting, and youtube is blocked on the firewall. However, when a few of these go home, the ipads are not behind the firewall.

OS Version is iOS6 on ipad version 2.1

The request is to block youtube completely. Youtube obviously will work through the webbrowser, but also through the hidden youtube app within iOS 6.

The option under Restrictions within Apple Configurator does nothing to stop this. People can still login and access via this hidden app.

The only option I see possible is to set up a proxy to block youtube on the ipads and route it to some sort of content filter.

Does anyone here have any other ideas? Wondering if I am missing something.

Thank you!

The request is to block youtube completely. Youtube obviously will work through the webbrowser, but also through the hidden youtube app within iOS 6.

The option under Restrictions within Apple Configurator does nothing to stop this. People can still login and access via this hidden app.

The only option I see possible is to set up a proxy to block youtube on the ipads and route it to some sort of content filter.

Does anyone here have any other ideas? Wondering if I am missing something.

There is no hidden Youtube app in iOS 6; there is no Youtube app, period. So yes, you're going to have to block it at the firewall or proxy level.

There is no hidden Youtube app in iOS 6; there is no Youtube app, period. So yes, you're going to have to block it at the firewall or proxy level.

When you create a video you have the option of uploading it to youtube. I say hidden app, because its still there. You are able to login to youtube and publish it. Now, this isnt a true app at all which is why the settings inside Apple configurator doesn't block it. Aside from that, I was afraid this would be the case.

Is there any reason why you can't just disable the camera on these school machines? Seems like an easy decision to justify to the administrators, as I can't think of many necessary educational purposes for it.

I believe part of the reason is the camera app allows for 'video creativity' which can be OK. That's really all I got.

Back