IPad/Airport Express/PC question

SR45

Limp Gawd
I’m getting an IPad soon, but doing some homework first…..

Questions for anyone in the know….

Since I have only a desktop PC, I must connect a USB Network Adaptor to the USB port (Using Windows 7 64 bit), so that I may connect the cable modem to the Airport Express input and hope that I will get this set up correctly.

Question: Should I install first the USB Network Adaptor, and then set up the Airport Express with the cable modem, or should I just connect the Cable Modem Ethernet cable to the Airport Express, connect it to the wall outlet, turn the cable modem on, and then connect the Network USB Adaptor. I know that I have to use the Airport Utility set up at some point, but cannot find on the web anything regarding the correct steps to take.

My guess is that I set up the Network Adaptor first, then the Airport Express/modem with Airport Utility immediately after.

Or am I missing something?

Many thanks to anyone in the know. I also checked the online Apple forum for this as well. No go for that as well

This sounds correct, but it would be so much more simple if you just bought a $50 Linksys router... You would save $50, more functionality, and you wouldnt need one of those lame USB adaptors, you could just plug your desktop up via Ethernet. Your iPad will work just fine with any non-Apple branded networking equipment.

Actually I have a Netgear wireless router right now with a netgear usb adaptor on my pc that works really well so far, knock on wood.

Should have gotten a wired router instead (Wireless is across the room right now), and had free LAN output so that I could have inserted an ethernet cable from the wired router into the Airport Express and the other ethernet cable to the computer, but that is water under the bridge so to speak. (Still new to wireless and wired routers stuff)

Want the Airport Express so that one can take with me on trips......

Last edited:
Actually I have a Netgear wireless router right now with a netgear usb adaptor on my pc that works really well so far, knock on wood.

Should have gotten a wired router instead (Wireless is across the room right now), and had free LAN output so that I could have inserted an ethernet cable from the wired router into the Airport Express and the other ethernet cable to the computer, but that is water under the bridge so to speak. (Still new to wireless and wired routers stuff)

Want the Airport Express so that one can take with me on trips......

Yeah, then I guess you're okay. The Airport Express would be handy for trips, I agree. AirTunes seems like a really nice feature as well.

What's the point of the airport express if you already have a wireless router? What's the purpose of it? To extend your network, for itunes air sharing, for routing?

Just asking because running to separate wireless networks on the same 2.4 ghz band will only degrade overall performance.

Here's my setup if it helps. I run a wireless N network off my main router on the 5 ghz spectrum since it's uncrowded. I then run a wireless G network off my airport express on the 2.4 ghz band. My airport express isn't routing though, I turn off the routing functions so it just acts as a wireless AP for my wireless G devices. All I do is plug it via ethernet into an empty lan connection on my ethernet switch. This way I can still stream multiple HD streams over my wireless N network while my slower devices ie blackberry, iphones are on the wireless G band.

My current wireless will be given to my brother at which point I will need another.

Want the Airport Express for its mobility CrazyCuz2k, other wise I would not need one. Not to mention its smaller and easier to hide/handle. Also wanted a N network though not really needed, but since the Ipad is N rated and the airport express is as well, my current one is not. Another reason is that I like to keep most of my gear in the family (All Apple or all PC).

Hope that answers your question. And thank you all for your assist

1) Install airport utility from the cd that came with the airport express.

2) Connect airport express to desktop pc using an ethernet cable.

3) Set up the network settings using the airport utility.

4) Unplug ethernet cable from desktop pc and connect it to your cable modem.

1) Install airport utility from the cd that came with the airport express.

2) Connect airport express to desktop pc using an ethernet cable.

3) Set up the network settings using the airport utility.

4) Unplug ethernet cable from desktop pc and connect it to your cable modem.

Now that's the way one should respond as to how to do it :D

Seems real simple since, I thought at first, one would install a Network USB Adaptor first on the desktop, with driver, then connect the cable modem to the Airport Express and install the Utility.

Many thanks XREF ;)

Back