IP Tunneling in Games - Bandwidth Issues

KoDt

Gawd
Im mostly wondering if this is possible or realisticly feasable.. heres my situation.

Im on a LAN at a College, I think the connection is 2 T3's and 10 T1's for the campus. The school is around 5000 students and mabye 2500 live on campus. Basicly we should have plenty fast connections and we have for most of the time. In Counter-Strike and Battlefield we get pings 30-60 normally.

I know our school has a packet monitor or packet limiter which makes p2p programs have incrediably limited bandwith during the day (maximum of .5 kbs or something) but can operate at high speeds at late night (1 am -> 7am) (the packet scheduler then allows more bandwith for other things b/c webtraffic is low during those hours.

Just recently online games have been gettin limited bandwith as well and now the lowest pings anyone on campus can get in CS are in the 300-400s and many servers are 1000+ ping. Even starcraft and Diablo 2 on b.net are unplayable with 1000 ping.

Many people play MMORPGs (which they pay for) or are in CAL teams or simply want to play games which they bought and now we cant. Now i understand web traffic gets priority, and p2p can be limited b/c of illegal files and it can eat bandwith but games I dont see why anyway.....

Is it possible to somehow mask game packets or send game packets thorugh the Web ports (8080 80?) thoruh IP tunneling or somthing. So that they get by the packet scheduler and then the bandwith wont get limited? I dont think games take up enought bandwith to be noticiable in the webtraffic are tehy?

Just wondering if this is possible and if it is would it allow for good gameplay / low pings?

Im not saying I condone this activity or will do it, (wether its illegal or not is based on my schools internet policy which I have read many times) Im more asking if this is a possiblity

if your going to use VPN then you'll be limited to LAN play. I've never connected to an internet connection through VPN but even so you'd be adding alot of extra latency with all those extra hops.

1st i didnt say i wanted to get around the filter at school
2nd i didnt ask how to do this but mearly if it was possible
3rd basicly theres this huge debate at school between gamers and i want to help put it to rest
4 thank you ill jsut say its not possilbe

Originally posted by KoDt
1st i didnt say i wanted to get around the filter at school
yesh...you did actually...
Is it possible to somehow mask game packets or send game packets thorugh the Web ports (8080 80?) thoruh IP tunneling or somthing. So that they get by the packet scheduler and then the bandwith wont get limited? I dont think games take up enought bandwith to be noticiable in the webtraffic are tehy?
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=660724
:mad:

2nd i didnt ask how to do this but mearly if it was possible
yesh...you did actually...

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=660724
:mad:

3rd basicly theres this huge debate at school between gamers and i want to help put it to rest
okay. talk to the sysadmins or email the IT department, ask them why they limit game bw. when they give you an answer, live with it. its thier network, thier shit, not yours. they can do what they see fit. oh and don't make it one of those "I'm a 1337 h4x0r, you can't stop me on j00r network" type emails either. those are silly ;)
4 thank you ill jsut say its not possilbe
good plan.

yeah by simply asking the IT dept. you might be able to get that removed if enough people talk to them. Don't be rude at all, be as nice and understanding as possible. I work the for the IT dept at my school, and some ports are blocked by default on the firewall, all the kids have to do is email the admin and explain what port for what reason and it will come up for consideration...

Back