IP question, in relation to pppoe

XOR != OR

[H]F Junkie
Hi folks, I'm working ( ha ) with sbc right now, trouble shooting a problem we're having with our dsl connection.

We had a bridged mode network, but they are in the process of switching everyone over to pppoe. Through the service change, they re assigned us new ip addresses:

ip range: 63.203.43.170-174
netmask: 255.255.255.248
gateway: 63.203.43.175
Broadcast: 63.206.43.176

Now, unless this is something goofy with pppoe, these ip addresses will not work. I've gone over that with sbc, and they refuse to believe me. So I'm wondering, IS this something with pppoe? Will pppoe goof up the ip stuff?

I'm thinking no, that's impossible. IP is IP, regardless of what you tunnel over, but I'm willing to admit that I don't know pppoe as well as I need to to understand if it's affecting this at all.

Any input is greatly apprecaited.

Other than the broadcast being out of the netmask range, I fail to see any other problems. Broadcast won't work over ppp tunnel anyways.

The IP range seems just fine.

NetRange: 63.192.0.0 - 63.207.255.255
CIDR: 63.192.0.0/12
NetName: PBI-NET-7
NetHandle: NET-63-192-0-0-1
Parent: NET-63-0-0-0-0
NetType: Direct Allocation
NameServer: NS1.PBI.NET
NameServer: NS2.PBI.NET
Comment: ADDRESSES WITHIN THIS BLOCK ARE NON-PORTABLE
Comment: please send all abuse issue e-mails to [email protected]

I should elaborate a bit. They are telling me the network is .169-.176. First and last not being usable ( network and broadcast, of course ), and with the gateway sitting at .175.

Now, having done the calculations myself, this network is invalid with that subnet mask. The network should sit at .168-.175. So setting the gateway to use the broadcast is...problematic at best.

I know this is how ip works, I've done this calculation over and over, and have matched it using ip calculators from the web ( several different ones ). What I want to know is does pppoe affect ( effect? *shrug* ) ip on some basic level to cause this kind of network config?

Don't believe pptp needs a gateway or broadcast.
The gateway used will be the gateway thats on the pptp server.

unless i fucked up somewhere, it should be with that subnet and your provided ip or 63.203.43.170

the subnet id it is 63.203.43.168
the subnet broadcast is 63.203.43.175
the usable ip range is 63.203.43.169-174

what i understood to be the 'defacto standard' was your gateway should be the first usable ip and that would be 63.203.43.169, and you could use the rest and your last ip should be 63.203.43.174. thats how i have always done it, and thats how i have always seen it done. but this is all besides the point

they have you using your broadcast for you gateway/router and that will not work! and what do they need with 2 million plus subnets in the class A address of 63 for, do they have 2 million subscribers?

Thank you, dagamore, that is what I have as well. SBC has a different policy for the default gateway. They stick it on the last usable IP.

As it is, those numbers ( The ones they gave me ) simply won't work. I know this. My linux box knows this. SBC tier 1 and tier 2 techs are more than willing to tell me I'm wrong, however.

Which leads me to the conclusion that, if I am wrong, it's because pppoe is doing something funky. I don't believe this, mind you, but that's all i have left.

Otherwise, once more into the breach I go ( round 2 with sbc tech support )

Back