IP projectors

raksasas

Limp Gawd
Does anyone know anything about IP Projectors? I just ran across them. I guess my main question is how do they work? Does it use a VNC type protocol? does it require software to be installed on the machine, if so does it require admin rights to run it (network/local)?

I've been wondering about that myself, never actually seen one used in person.

I have one made by sharp. Here's how it works...

Two ways in... Either 802.11b/g or wired.

The wireless is an adhoc network. You need their software installed on your PC (actually just run an .exe, no install needed), and the projector works off your laptop. Downside to that method is you are now off the company network and connected to the projector. You may be able to bridge the connections but I haven't tried.

Option 2 is a wired connection, which is my personal favorite. Lets me be on the company network AND access the projector. You use the same .exe as before.

Works great and looks great. Full motion video...not so great. I think it runs at like 6 fps. Which is fine for presentations, not so good for full motion video.

That's kinda what I was thinking, about the full motion video. I was kinda thinking about getting one for our conference room, but its used for video quite often so guess thats out. Thanks for the info.

I used to work for Drexel University, and we had an Epson projector in one conference room which was wireless. It had a PCMCIA slot for their wi-fi card, but the projector had the option to upgrade to whatever card you like as well. As Asgorath said, yea you have to install their software in order to connect. It goes out to the network and tries to locate the projector and connect to it. It didn't always work for me, which is why I ended up running a VGA cable in a raceway down the wall into a jack for people to use. We did however use it a bunch of times wirelessly during videoconferences and it wasn't too bad. Not sure what the fps was, but it was OK.

I used to work for Drexel University, and we had an Epson projector in one conference room which was wireless. It had a PCMCIA slot for their wi-fi card, but the projector had the option to upgrade to whatever card you like as well. As Asgorath said, yea you have to install their software in order to connect. It goes out to the network and tries to locate the projector and connect to it. It didn't always work for me, which is why I ended up running a VGA cable in a raceway down the wall into a jack for people to use. We did however use it a bunch of times wirelessly during videoconferences and it wasn't too bad. Not sure what the fps was, but it was OK.

The Sanyo projector that we have has a USB port for a wifi 'stick'. It comes with an included stick and it only supports Sanyo wifi sticks. The stick that it comes with supports 802.11 b/g, which is just fine.

Thanks for the feed back. The reason for asking about IP projectors is because we currently have a D-Link Wireless Presentation Gateway. I have to say it sucks which is why when I heard about an IP projector I was like "I wonder how they work".

The D-Link Wireless Presentation Gateway (WPG) has:
1 vga port to connect to the projector
1 network port that connects to your network
broadcasts adhoc wireless b/g
(you can't connect to it wired to the network)

How to get connected to it
You first connect to the adhoc network it projects out called "projector -#" ( you can't change that name but you can change the # part of it in case you have several of the WPG's). Launch the browser which takes to you a WPG's host site to download the program to connect WPG. Can't go anywhere but that site till you get it downloaded and installed. After downloading you install its software. From that point you can now connect to the WPG and use the projector and have internet access.

Now what I do not like about it. The WPG software takes control of the Wireless connection (Driver). It acts like the Wireless connection manager hold the wireless drivers hostage. You have to have local admin rights (Power Users will not work. I tried it) for it to work because as I said it takes control of the wireless device. Once you are connected it resizies your desktop (to i think 800x600), displays your desktop on the projector, and allows you to have internet access. Also only 1 person can connect to it at a time so it can't be used as an WAP. So you have to have another WAP accessable.

Back