IP POE home security cameras?

AP2

[H]ard|Gawd
can anyone recommend some good ip Poe cameras with IR? I currently have axis cameras, but want to switch over to something with ir and more view adjustments.

Thanks

I use the G3 Ubiquiti, it works very well and the server software is free. The only complaint i have is the Phone app, not quite stable enough if you want to always be looking in on the house all the time. But the camera and software you install on a computer works flawless.

Not that Ubnt isn't a half bad choice, they NVR software is still not what I'd consider stable. I've been running this stuff on many multiple locations since their gen1s were released, don't think i've ever had an NVR stay up for > 2 months. And by up I mean fully working, I can't say for-sure on v3.5 as it was just released, but as of 3.4"

- Cams with a green status missing motion records
- Cams on full time record with a green status just stop recording
- NVR crashes
- Live Views freezing
- Hold list of other minor stuff

Basically you still can't trust it, you may think it's recording, but when you need it most you may find the cam you need video from hasn't recorded in weeks.

Ubnt has a huge forum, you'll find TONS of similar messages on the same subjects.

I've not had any problems you listed with my NVR. it's on a SFF Alienware running the latest version.. The app on my phone however, is flat out not good. lol

UBNT cameras are trash and the NVR is even worse.

The golden standard budget friendly IP cameras are HIKvision and Dahua.

What kind of "adjustments" are you looking for?

While I like my Axis (M3005-v 1080P) cameras, i just need to be able to adjust the angles to get a better view and also night vision. I also find that there NVR (Axis Camera Companion - FREE) software is not the greatest. Seems like my Cameras always disconnect from my home made NVR.

i just need to be able to adjust the angles to get a better view and also night vision. I also find that there NVR (Axis Camera Companion - FREE) software is not the greatest. Seems like my Cameras always disconnect from my home made NVR.

Are you wanting Pan Tilt Zoom? Are you wanting Verifocal? (i.e. 2.8mm to 12mm) or just something that is easier to mount and aim? Both brands I mentioned have PTZ and varifocal cameras. The Turrent/Eyeball style is very easy to mount and aim to where you want to cover.

The iVMS software from HIKvision is ok. People seem to love bluecherry. I personally run a HIKvision NVR as I don't want my cameras offline while I am doing maintenance to my NAS or other parts of my network.

Ubiquiti cameras are the way to go. I've done multiple house installs, my own home, a 50 camera warehouse and 100 camera highschool. We've torn out AXIS installs and the users found the UBNT setup to be significantly more pleasing.

Nothing competes with them at the price point. The NVR is really good. Previous postings who are having uptime issues are having some one-off problems. We have NVRs that have been running for years now, and the only downtime has been during updates or extended power outages.

PTZ cameras are for convenience monitoring only. It's cheaper and more secure to have multiple cameras that can see the whole area. PTZ cameras are only good for what they're currently looking at - they're for tracking people/things remotely from a security desk.

UBNT cameras are not PoE standard 802.3af or 802.3at. They use proprietary 24v PoE. So if you currently have industry standard PoE switches you would need to replace them or use the bulky injectors.

The NVR and camera issues are not a one-off problem. Take a look at the forums on UBNTs website. UBNT is widely known for half-baking software.

UBNT cameras at $150/each is about the same price if not more than what you can get a HIKvision or Dahua camera for.

The focal length of the UBNT G3 is a fixed 3.6mm. With HIKvision or Dahua you can buy other focal lengths to either capture wider angels or narrower depending on what you are trying to "cover".

The UBNT has weak IRs. You have to buy a "IR extender" to get coverage up to 82'.

Back