IP Leasing issue

Snikku

Limp Gawd
since the router is turned off nothing is taking the place of the ips?

how could you ping an address that isnt enabled?

lol just wait till they come back...or next time offer to walk their dog and just turn on the router or some shit

You might have wanted to read what I was asking before the reply. Of course I can't ping something that was off. I know that. I was trying to take over one of the addresses of the router which was off (192.168.1.1) but it said that address was owned. But the device was off. That was my question.

I was asking what was maintaining the lease on that IP if the device itself was powered off. Apparently the switch there is a managed switch that is maintaining ownership of that IP.

Whoever set up their wireless/DSL from their business really didn't know what they were doing. It was default with no security and default router passwords. Even the DSL login user/pw was completely open.

Originally posted by nullvector
You might have wanted to read what I was asking before the reply. Of course I can't ping something that was off. I know that. I was trying to take over one of the addresses of the router which was off (192.168.1.1) but it said that address was owned. But the device was off. That was my question.

I was asking what was maintaining the lease on that IP if the device itself was powered off. Apparently the switch there is a managed switch that is maintaining ownership of that IP.

Whoever set up their wireless/DSL from their business really didn't know what they were doing. It was default with no security and default router passwords. Even the DSL login user/pw was completely open.

That error is generated by a check of the ARP tables. Unless/until your ARP cache is flushed, you'll keep getting those errors for IPs not in use.

Back