ip kvm for 48 servers- what ip kvm are you using?

tonyyy

Limp Gawd
what ip kvm are you using?

or are you using idrac?

if so how? is it better?

Last edited:
Our Dell servers use iDRAC, or CMC on the blade chassis.
On UCS, we just use UCS Manager.
We don't use hardware KVMs here, or at my previous employers.

iDRAC/UCS Manager is, IMO, much better than KVM anyway. You get much, much more than the console with the embedded devices - all of which is helpful. The biggest ones I like are the hardware monitors, the virtual optical drives (when not deploying an image), the console, and the power options.

If you have to use a hardware KVM for whatever reason, I commonly see Raritan and Avocent console servers used by my customers.

I myself try to avoid the Java stuff like the plague but I understand a lot of embedded server management still uses it.

After years of fighting with IPKVMs (Avocent, Dell, Raritan) like Eulogy we've pretty much moved completely to Dell iDRAC and HP ILO management and will never look back :p

Our Raritan's were finicky as heck with what devices we could use locally at the rack, and seemed to want to lock up at least once a month. Made the remote capabilities pretty worthless when you have to ask the 24/7 service desk on-site to go back to the server room to power off and power on the KVM switch at 2:00 AM :mad:

The Dell 2161DS's we had at a couple sites were pretty stable and reliable.. except the mouse alignment was always off when trying to access the desktop remotely. Worked fine for terminal use only, but always had to jack around with the cursor and mouse sensitivity adjustments every time you connected.

Made the remote capabilities pretty worthless when you have to ask the 24/7 service desk on-site to go back to the server room to power off and power on the KVM switch at 2:00 AM :mad:

That's what an IP managed PDU is for :)

I use IPMI/ILO/DRAC whatever for everything and switched PDUs for remote power cycle and emergency shutdowns etc

Back