Ip address problems

Budman

I put the Bad in Bad Grandpa!
About 6 months ago we upgraded to road-runner Lighting from Turbo. They had to install a new modem to do this. Since the modem was wireless I removed the D-Link DIR-655 router.
Now we are trying to cutback on expenses a little & have went back to RR Turbo. We still have the same modem but Brighthouse has disconnected the wireless part of the modem. I have brought out the DIR-655 again but can't seem to get it to work with this modem. I have misplaced the CD that came with the router so I did the reset button on the back but still no luck. The modem & the router both share the 192.168.0.1 address so I'm not sure what to do.

The modem in the mix is a Surfboard BG6580 but it's locked down & I can get into it to change any settings. I'm just trying to use the DIR-655 for the wireless duties.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Make sure you're plugging a switch port from the Brighthouse router to a switch port on the D-Link. Don't use the WAN port, that's probably your issue.

WiFi is really just a wireless switch. There is no routing involved, so you need to bypass the routing part of your router, and the easiest way is to just use one of the switch ports. However, you do still want to prevent any kind of IP conflict between the devices. Go into the config of the D-Link and change its router IP to something like 192.168.100.1 (255.255.255.0). Also, make sure you're just using DHCP on one device or the other or you could get further IP conficts on your devices.

Some routers even have an "access point" mode you can flip them into, or "bridge mode". You could do this and use the WAN interface on the D-Link. Let us know if you run into any problems.

Pretty much was going to say the same thing. Although really you just need to unplug the modem > router ethernet and you should be able to log into the web panel and manually change the network it's using to 192.168.1.1 or something and then plug back in the modem to the WAN port on the router.

Pretty much was going to say the same thing. Although really you just need to unplug the modem > router ethernet and you should be able to log into the web panel and manually change the network it's using to 192.168.1.1 or something and then plug back in the modem to the WAN port on the router.

He'll be double NATing then which is not recommended. Disconnect the slink from the modem/router and set its IP to 192.168.0.2 or something and also turn off dhcp and set your wireless settings. Then plug a LAN port from the dlink to the modem and you should be good to go.

He'll be double NATing then which is not recommended. Disconnect the slink from the modem/router and set its IP to 192.168.0.2 or something and also turn off dhcp and set your wireless settings. Then plug a LAN port from the dlink to the modem and you should be good to go.

Key point here is just to make sure that the DHCP scope (aka address range) isn't going to end up giving a device on the network the same IP as the D-Link. That's why I recommended another subnet, but the same subnet could be used if, say, the address range started at 192.168.0.100, or any IP higher than the IP of the D-Link.

But yeah, the switch port to switch port thing is to prevent double-NAT as usr described.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the suggestions... I will try this tonight when I get home. I will post & let you guys know how it comes out.

Ok I did what you guys said. I unplugged the modem & reset the router so I could get into the setup menu & changed the router address to 192.168.1.1. I then plugged a cable into one of the 4 ports leaving the WAN port empty. I restarted the modem & now I have wireless.

I do have a question through? Now that I changed the address on the router I can't get back into it. I type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar & it never connects. Win 7 network map shows it with the 192.168.1.1 address but I'm not sure how to access it now. I can't remember if I ever setup a password or not so that is why I was trying to get back into it.

Because you mixed and matched both of our ideas. You have to choose which method you want to do. The method I was referring to would double NAT you, but if the router is locked down as you say like mine, then you can't change that anyways. Hence why I suggested you unplug the modem and change the IP address of the router from 192.168.0.1 > 192.168.1.1. Even in this setup you'd still connect the modem to the WAN port of the router, then you should be able to access the routers setup page and all should be good since the modem and router will be on different networks.

The method they described was basically using your router as a switch to the cable modem router so you only have a single NAT instead of two. If you don't have that luxury or altering those settings you're kind of stuck with my method as I don't know any way around that. That's why you plugged the cable modem into the routers port (non-WAN but 1 of the 4) and turned off DHCP options in the router to prevent the router from giving machines a separate IP address if the cable modem has a DHCP server already doing so.

Does that make sense? The way I see it you only have one of the two options listed here unless anyone else has some input they want to add.

The solution to make your D-Link accessible is to do as I mentioned in my second post, post #5.

The easiest way to ensure that your D-Link router IP doesn't conflict with your Brighthouse router (yes, it's a modem, but it also has a built-in router) was to have you put it on a completely different subnet. However, it's now inaccessible because your computer is on a different subnet and the device actually acting as a router currently has no route to that network.

So the solution is to let your router have an IP on the network, but not the same as the Brighthouse router and outside the range of IPs that DHCP hands out IPs on.

Here's what you do:

Hook a laptop up to the router via the WAN port, OR, disconnect it and bring it to a desktop and do the same.

Statically assign an IP to your laptop or desktop via Start -> control panel -> Network and Sharing center -> change adapter settings -> double-click your Local Area connection you're using -> select Internet Protocol Version 4 (tcp/ipv4) -> Properties -> Use the following IP address -> IP address is 192.168.1.2 -> Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 -> Default Gateway is 192.168.1.1 -> Don't worry about DNS or put 8.8.8.8 in there if it gives you a hard time. -> Turn off your wireless (if you're using a laptop).

Now you should be able to reach your router via the browser. Go under your DHCP settings and set it to assign IPs starting at 192.168.0.100.

Apply that. Now change your router IP to 192.168.0.2 (or, anything, honestly, as long as it's lower than 192.168.0.100 and not the already-in-use 192.168.0.1) subnet mask 255.255.255.0. Gateway IP should be 192.168.0.1.

Save, and reboot the router.

Now go back to your adapter settings as I described earlier and set your adapter back to Obtain an IP address automatically (otherwise, if this is your laptop, someday you'll try plugging it into your router or something and it'll drive you nuts when it won't work).

Turn on your wireless on your laptop. Now connect to your router at 192.168.0.2 via web browser. Profit?

Last edited:
I printed out the above instructions & went by the letter but still no luck. I was using my little ACER netbook to do this with. I went in & assigned it the IP address listed and as long as I had the Modem unplugged from the router I could access the D-Link router setup page.

I went in & made the changes you suggested & then rebooted the router & then plugged the modem into the WAN port but no luck. I even tried using one of the 4 reg ports on the router & still no connection. Windows said I made changes that were in conflict & it wouldn't even let me try to connect. I powered down both the modem & router & rebooted them that way with no luck either.

I ended up going back to the way I had it before I messed with it but did remember to change the password before it rebooted. I have wireless only out of that router but that is ok.

If you can think of something else for me to try I will do that this weekend but for now the wife & I are happy that it works.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Back