iOS7 bricking or semi-bricking devices?

cyclone3d

[H]F Junkie
I have so far seen 2 devices updated to iOS 7 and both have had problems afterwards.

An iPhone 4: After the update, it drained the battery and will not longer charge - bricked
The person that this happened to was told tough luck since it was out of warranty.

My wife's iPad 4. If she tries to change the background, it stops responding. It will not even let you power it down. It recovers after quite a while.. about an hour or so. We are taking it to the Apple store to see what they have to say about it.

Anybody else have devices that iOS 7 screwed up?

I have so far seen 2 devices updated to iOS 7 and both have had problems afterwards.

An iPhone 4: After the update, it drained the battery and will not longer charge - bricked
The person that this happened to was told tough luck since it was out of warranty.

My wife's iPad 4. If she tries to change the background, it stops responding. It will not even let you power it down. It recovers after quite a while.. about an hour or so. We are taking it to the Apple store to see what they have to say about it.

Anybody else have devices that iOS 7 screwed up?

My mom has a 4S that, according to her, iOS 7 is resulting in absolutely insane power usage. Like fully charged at 8 AM, dead or down to 20% by noon, with only minimal to moderate usage.

I'm seeing some people saying they're only getting 4 or 5 hours of standby, from a full charge.

I updated my iPad 2 last night but haven't played with it yet. Haven't updated my 4S yet.

Last edited:
My mom has a 4S that, according to her, iOS 7 is resulting in absolutely insane power usage. Like fully charged at 8 AM, dead or down to 20% by noon, with only minimal to moderate usage.

I'm seeing some people saying they're only getting 4 or 5 hours of standby, from a full charge.

I updated my iPad 2 last night but haven't played with it yet. Haven't updated my 4S yet.

This makes me seriously wonder if Apple even tested iOS7 before they released it.

I am kinda scared to update my work 4s and my wife's 5.

I updated my iPhone 4S and iPad 3 and have no issues with power or anything. I think my iPad actually lasts longer with iOS 7.

Have you tried to restore either devices with a clean install?
The iPhone 4 will not even power on any more. When the charger is plugged in, it just shows 3 bars on the battery icon.

I will wait to see what Apple says about the iPad 4.

When the iPad first messed up, we gave up since it wouldn't even let us unlock it or power it off.

I had a similar problem with my iPad 4 and a factory reset after the update cured it. Safari kept just randomly closing and it would take 2-3 tries to get to recognize the charge cord was plugged in. All good after a reset.

No different than a clean install of a Windows service pack I guess haha!

I had a similar problem with my iPad 4 and a factory reset after the update cured it. Safari kept just randomly closing and it would take 2-3 tries to get to recognize the charge cord was plugged in. All good after a reset.

No different than a clean install of a Windows service pack I guess haha!

They did a wipe at the Apple store and it seems to have fixed it.... wohoo.

Something about iOS7 not installing properly.

I am guessing there is a lot of this going around since I have seen problems with 2 out of the 2 devices I have updated.

This makes me seriously wonder if Apple even tested iOS7 before they released it.

I am kinda scared to update my work 4s and my wife's 5.

Almost all the people with runaway battery problems can fix it by reset all of the devices + network settings. Still poor on Apple's part, something is definitely getting dinked up on certain phones after the upgrade.

I have seen 2 devices with trouble when upgrading to ios7. Both were iphone 4s (not 4s). One was extremely slow to the point of being unusable, the other took 3 tries to finally get the install done and then it bricked.

There seems to be something seriously, seriously wrong with the wallpaper settings in iOS 7. At least for iPads.

OP, you're not looking at this the "apple way", this is simply a great opportunity to upgrade your phone...

In all seriousness, you're most likely fucked. If it's anything like IOS 4 on the 3G the restore "fix" won't last and you'll be out a phone. Hope they take care of you on the iPad at least.

OP, you're not looking at this the "apple way", this is simply a great opportunity to upgrade your phone...

In all seriousness, you're most likely fucked. If it's anything like IOS 4 on the 3G the restore "fix" won't last and you'll be out a phone. Hope they take care of you on the iPad at least.

Heh. The 4 was not mine and had a cracked screen anyway. I gave him and old Droid 3 to use until he is able to upgrade in a couple months.

The iPad seems to be working now that they did a wipe/re-install.

Edit: Nope, the wallpaper setting still locks up the iPad - total fail on Apple's part.

Last edited:
Umm.

3+ month beta.

In that "3+ month beta" they must have never actually tested the wallpaper setting on an iPad 4. Even after a wipe and re-install it is still locking up.

Either that or our iPad is broken.

Hasnt bricked my ipad but what it has done is make it slow as fuk and lag out with practically every app I use, from browsers to imsg to youtube, everything, ios7 was the worst thing I could of done to my ipad.

Edit.

And its raping my battery bigtime.

In that "3+ month beta" they must have never actually tested the wallpaper setting on an iPad 4. Even after a wipe and re-install it is still locking up.

Either that or our iPad is broken.

No problems with our iPad4's and wallpaper settings.

Hasnt bricked my ipad but what it has done is make it slow as fuk and lag out with practically every app I use, from browsers to imsg to youtube, everything, ios7 was the worst thing I could of done to my ipad.

Edit.

And its raping my battery bigtime.

No biggie, just roll back to ios 6.

Oh, wait...

You can't brick these devices.

Worse case scenario you enter DFU mode and restore your device.

I've updated the following devices to iOS 7...

2x iPad mini's
2x iPad 2's.
2x iPhone 5's
iPhone 4S
iPhone 4

...All are working perfectly. The only device that needs noting is the iPhone 4, I feel it runs pretty slow and sluggish now with iOS 7. Reminds me of running iOS 6 on a 3GS.

Anybody having battery performance problems should do the basic battery optimization steps like disabling background app updates, radios, location services, etc. If all else fails, a DFU restore.

My wifes old iPhone 4 was crashing a lot before she got rid of it. I can't remember the exact errors in the error log but basically I determined that it was a hardware failure and that the phone was getting ready to die. That could be possible on some of the older devices.

I updated my 4S and the last time I could connect to iTunes was 9/20. I cannot connect to iTunes anymore, and was told the plug is shoddy (even though it still charges just fine). Guess I got unlucky and my USB portion of that port just died at the same time as the upgrade?

Apple has not offered to do anything to help or replace the device since it's out of warranty... :-(

I updated my 4S and the last time I could connect to iTunes was 9/20. I cannot connect to iTunes anymore, and was told the plug is shoddy (even though it still charges just fine). Guess I got unlucky and my USB portion of that port just died at the same time as the upgrade?

Apple has not offered to do anything to help or replace the device since it's out of warranty... :-(

After updating to iTunes 11.1, my home PC no longer connects (in iTunes) to the iPhone 5 or 3GS I have. I don't think it is the cable, since those devices don't even use the same cable. Apple has a bunch of trouble shooting documents and they didn't help. The phones show up in device manage and I can transfer to and from them, just iTunes that no longer works.

My work PC connects to the iPhone 5 fine.

My next step to try fixing it is going to be formatting :(

You most certainly can brick 'em, and the best way to do it is to update ios.

Updates don't affect iBoot, so no updating cannot brick your device.

Being able to brick your device would require being able to modify iBoot.

Now on the very old iPhones you could modify iBoot, this allowed people to install Android on their iPhone.

But modern iOS device are locked down tight and iBoot cannot be touched.

After updating to iTunes 11.1, my home PC no longer connects (in iTunes) to the iPhone 5 or 3GS I have. I don't think it is the cable, since those devices don't even use the same cable. Apple has a bunch of trouble shooting documents and they didn't help. The phones show up in device manage and I can transfer to and from them, just iTunes that no longer works.

My work PC connects to the iPhone 5 fine.

My next step to try fixing it is going to be formatting :(

I don't get the iPhone to show up in device manager at all in any computer I use...regardless of cable.

Updates don't affect iBoot, so no updating cannot brick your device.

Being able to brick your device would require being able to modify iBoot.

Now on the very old iPhones you could modify iBoot, this allowed people to install Android on their iPhone.

But modern iOS device are locked down tight and iBoot cannot be touched.

By bricking I mean post-update, multiple, vital features of the previously fine device stop working.

Thus rendering your iDevice a motherfucking paperweight, AKA a brick.

Well all i have to say is that my ipad is MUCH slower after the update to ios7 and nearly every app lags out at times and when it does, I cant shut the ipad down or push the home button to get back to the home screen, I just have to wait til the lag has gone.

I dont know whats happened and whats causing it, but ios7 was the worst thing I could of done to my ipad, thus my battery is getting raped big time.

I have tried to restore the ipad and then load all my apps back on, but shit is still the same, so as you can imagine I am one unhappy bunny, especially since this is the best version of the ipad 2, 64gig with wifi and 3g, even ios6 made it slightly slower but nothing like this shit.

If ai could restore to ios 5 or 6 i would in a heart beat as ios 7 has made my ipad all but useless.

Well, discovered that the automatic time zone was not working on the iPad 4. This is the Wifi version, no cell access.

Even after updating to 7.0.2, the problem is still there.

Have already tried disabling and re-enabling location services as well as "setting time zone". Restarting doesn't help either.

I seriously think that they must have hired a bunch of 3 years olds to do their beta testing.. but maybe that would be insulting to the 3 year olds.

My buddy's iPad 4 is having major issues with internet timing out over WiFi after putting ios 7 on it. Just saw that last night, he said everything was fine pre-update.

Back