iOS - Time of day app restrictions

Kongar

Gawd
What's the best way with iOS to lock a teenager's phone down so that she can only use a particular app during a particular time? The rule in my house is when my kids go to bed, they are allowed to read a book as long as they'd like until they fall asleep. My daughter however is massively dyslexic, and needs audiobooks to help her read along - which is on her phone/ipad (audible or overdrive). Problem is that she's 13, and you can imagine how difficult it is for her to not get distracted by everything else magical with her phone =\

Best native way I can see is to use the guided mode - but that's such a pain in the rear. Every night I'd have to lock her phone to the overdrive or audible app, and then remember to unlock it in the AM. If I forget to unlock it - she's screwed for the day. It's a crappy implementation by Apple IMO. You'd think at this point in the game their phones would have a "during these hours, you can only do xyz" mode

Am I missing something? Or am I going to have to pay $100/year to a service, jailbreak, etc.

I did think about doing it with my router (that device can only hit these IPs during these hours) - but she'll just use her cell phone data (most of her transgressions are watching youtube videos - not so much playing games or snapchatting)

I am annoyed - my technical skills are being thwarted by a 13 year old girl. If I don't' come up with a clever solution, I'll be forced to turn in my nerd card.

Probably some sort of Mobile device management. Otherwise you can maybe talk to the cell provider and see if they can block internet services at times, and then you block internet access at certain times. That still leaves games being available though. Otherwise, lighten up on the restrictions, or take the device away are the only other options I can think of.

I just googled and found a service for basically $60 a year. Which I know isn't a desirable option.

There also must be ways to do this from a server deployment standpoint. A lot of schools and educational institutions give out iOS devices for rent or class and they have many different restrictions placed on them. However that may be more costly as deployment software might be some absurd amount as its designed to deal with 10s or 100s of devices.

Back