IOS install PIX 515

Choder

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a clean PIX515 on which I'd like to load IOS 7.02. I am am configuring via Console cable but also have Ethernet1 connected to the network here at work. I've booted the PIX into Monitor mode, set an Interface, IP, Subnet Mask, Gateway and TFTP Server address and told it to TFTP the IOS .bin file. That seems to boot the new IOS via TFTP, but I am having a hard time figuring out how to save the IOS to flash so that after I reboot it has an IOS to run instead of it telling me there is no IOS found.

Im not much of a Cisco guy so I am sure I am missing something painfully obvious. Any help would be awesome.

Easy:
copy tftp flash
is the command you're looking for. Of course, make sure you have room on your flash BEFORE trying to copy the new image down ;).
And you can reverse it to save copies of IOS using copy flash tftp as well.
On newer IOSes it should step you through asking address/name of remote host and the source filename of the IOS. It'll ask for confirmation on the destination filename as well. As long as you're consoled in, you should see a sequence that runs through the erasing (where a long line of "e"s should appear - this is good), and then a long sequence of !'s should appear. This is good as well. If you're telneting in, you're going to lose your connection.

Once it's all done and such, you can do a "sh flash" and verify the flash contents to make sure your IOS file is there.

Done!

copy tftp flash worked, but getting it to talk to other devices on the network was a real bitch. Seems I didn't have network connectivity until I turned on HTTP access.

Thank you both for your assistance.

copy tftp flash worked, but getting it to talk to other devices on the network was a real bitch. Seems I didn't have network connectivity until I turned on HTTP access.

Thank you both for your assistance.
That's odd. You should've still been able to get to it via telnet/console. If you blew away your config you wouldn't be able to telnet to it. Well, at least you got it working.

Back