iOS Google Maps Released Dec 13th ?

Ocean

Supreme [H]ardness
http://allthingsd.com/20121212/google-set-to-release-ios-maps-app-tonight/

Exclusive: Google Set to Release iOS Maps App Tonight

The app should be a welcome addition for many iPhone users, who have been unhappy with an Apple-made replacement.

Google Maps had been pre-installed on the iPhone since the smartphone first launched, but the app was bounced in September with the debut of iOS 6

heads up, once you see it in the app store post here, so we all dont camp the fucking piece of shit iOS6 app store all night to replace our crap map app. :p

It is indeed up on the App Store. And honestly, it shows exactly why Apple ditched Google in the first place. The data is still better than what Apple has, but that's to be expected; Google's been at this for a decade now. The app itself is still far inferior to the Android version of Google Maps. Maps is basically Google's version of iTunes on Windows; yeah, it's there, but you don't really want to use it if you can avoid it.

The new version of 1Password is out and that's far more exciting to me.

I'm lol'ing at the ios version being far superior to the android version and all the fanboy's are outraged/gloating.

I'm lol'ing at the ios version being far superior to the android version and all the fanboy's are outraged/gloating.

Wrong!

It runs far slower on my iPhone 5 than it did on my GS3. Also no offline caching neither, which is important.

It's not very good at all tbh. It's like Google Maps on Android from two years ago.

It's not very good at all tbh. It's like Google Maps on Android from two years ago.

Pretty much. Google has an interest in getting people to use their Maps, because what better form of personal information can be sold to advertisers than your location data? Simultaneously, they need to be able to sell Android, so they have to be able to make an argument in its favor; having an iPhone app with 1:1 feature parity distills that argument.

The data is better than Apple Maps, but man, this is awful to use. And the part where the ap tries to get your home and work address and associate them with your Google account is pretty creepy.

Wrong!

It runs far slower on my iPhone 5 than it did on my GS3. Also no offline caching neither, which is important.

"David Pogue, in his review of Google’s new Google Maps application for iPhone and iPod touch, shares a couple of interesting tidbits from Google. First, Google reportedly has admitted that its iOS Google Maps application is better than its implementation on Android devices:

Google admits that it’s even better than Google Maps for Android phones, which has accommodated its evolving feature set mainly by piling on menus.

While the version for iOS takes much of the Android version’s functionality, it does still lack offline mode and full-tablet support. After noting the lack of offline map saving and iPad support, Pogue shares that Google said “that goodies like those will be coming soon.”

Link

I still prefer Apple Maps. I never had a problem with it's map data yet and the app itself is technically superior in it's performance/user interface/features.

Google maps though will be great for those who need public transit information and when Apple Maps is inaccurate in their area.

This is great for all users. I have a feeling Google puts a bit more thought into the iOS version of their apps since both Gmail and Maps have newer interfaces than Android. They might do this because of the higher level of polish in iOS apps (in general), lack of menu buttons or desire to attract users. I hope these make it back to Android.

New App supposedly was created within the span of a couple of months. If this is true, then kudos to Google and more excitingly, the App should get much better.

Going by the New York Times review, the App is great. I'm installing it now.

Back