iOS 8.4 - Apple Music

Eradan

[H]ard|Gawd
Out today, in case anyone forgot. :)

Waiting for iTunes 12.2 to be available so I can stream to my PC. Hoping to ditch Spotify.

It's nice. The big deal to me is simply having some of the tunes that Spotify doesn't get.

Beats 1... well, it's a radio station, but the good news that it's more in the spirit of a 'cool,' anything-goes station like BBC Radio 1 than the usual top 40 fluff. You're as likely to hear drum-and-bass and house as you are Pharrell's latest single.

Looks like Apple Music is the main feature of 8.4 over 8.3. I'm updating my iPad to it now.

If you're interested, Pangu released a jailbreak for 8.4 and TaiG is to release theirs later today. My phone is happy being jailbroken on 8.3. :)

Holy shit...this has an NPR station. Fuck yeah. Austins NPR station sucks so many dicks its pathetic(I know Austin in very Liberal, and that NPR is liberal...but at least in Boise they ATTEMPTED to be on middle ground...here in Austin its a fucking circle jerk of liberal bullshit). If this NPR station doesn't suck it'll be worth it.

I just got an ad...if there is ads for this I'm not even using the free trial. Fuck that shit.

I just got an ad...if there is ads for this I'm not even using the free trial. Fuck that shit.

There are only ads on Beats 1, and they're apparently very short... the actual service is blissfully ad-free.

There are only ads on Beats 1, and they're apparently very short... the actual service is blissfully ad-free.

Beats 1 is a free service. It's not a part of the paid Apple Music service. The paid radio part of Apple Music doesn't have ads (similar to Pandora's functionality).

Just updating my iPhone and iPad today ... esp since a jailbreak is ready :)

Coming from 8.1.1 (On iPad) and 8.1.2 (On iPhone) any massive changes I should be aware of?

Just updating my iPhone and iPad today ... esp since a jailbreak is ready :)

Coming from 8.1.1 (On iPad) and 8.1.2 (On iPhone) any massive changes I should be aware of?

The main things are the Apple Watch app and the new music app, which includes Apple Music. There are some other changes you'll probably notice, such as the ability to download free iTunes apps without a password (if you want).

works pretty good except that it seems like all the focus was o apple music and the rest of the app feels like it's still in beta the playlist is the main thing that's messed up no longer shows the number of the song in your playlist and wont let you clear a playlist. messes with the album art too. yes apple got the apple music part of the app right but left the rest off the music app in beta.:( lord jobs would not be happy
:eek:

Honestly, it's kind of meh. For some reason it won't automatically go to the next album of an artist anymore, instead you have to add them to the queue which just seems like an extra step for something that didn't need one. The queue is probably better in some cases, but it should still automatically go to the next album.

Spotify has a couple of advantages, such as social music sharing (seeing what your friends are playing is fun) and wider platform support. With that said, it feels significantly behind in some ways.

For a start: I actually like that it will stop playing music once it's finished with a song or album. My biggest peeve with Spotify is that it's nearly impossible to clear the queue. Did you play an album earlier? Guess what -- that album is going to keep coming back until you either play another album or play enough individual songs that you clear that album from the queue.

Also, Apple Music is much, much better at discovery. Spotify's strategy basically boils down to guesswork: unless it's a new release or a suggestion based on what you recently played, you have to 'just know' that the music is out there. On Apple Music, you get both a gigantic amount of personalized suggestions (want to listen to pioneering electronic music from 1994? OK!) and a load of curated, easily found playlists from both Apple and third parties like Pitchfork. Spotify feels like an every-now-and-then service you fire up when you want to hear something specific; Apple Music is something you just keep playing.

With that said, I would like Apple to do a much better job of expanding its genre radio. For example, the dance stations boil down to four options; it needs to drill into subgenres (trance, drum-and-bass, dubstep, that sort of thing). And I agree that Apple seems to be emphasizing its streaming service at the expense of your local music, with some rough-around-the-edges features (or occasionally, lack thereof). It could be a while before this is the harmonious blend you'd hope for.

I was talking about the music app itself, as in my own music now stops playing after each album. That's fine for Apple music, but it's quite annoying if you're doing work and have to keep going back to play the next album. Just seems a silly thing to remove.

I think it was Cnet that did blind sound testing and thought Spotify sounded better

I think it was Cnet that did blind sound testing and thought Spotify sounded better

Could be true, it will all depend on the original source that was used though since the compression methods used by each are relatively equal. Only reason to get Apple Music is if you don't subscribe to Spotify yet or want multiple people using, since Apple's family sharing is pretty cheap. Personally I already have Spotify and a bunch of playlists I made/follow so I don't really need the "discover" feature anymore. If I need a new song I check out the playlists (since others update them) or go to one of the Top in XX country lists.

This update wrecked my battery life. I've been at work for 2 hours and lost 30% life just streaming apple music over bluethooth. I use to use about 40% a day for that PLUS other random shit on there throughout the day.

Back