iOS 5 Tethered Jailbreak

Stugots

Supreme [H]ardness
How much of a pain in the ass is running an tethered Jailbreak?

I want to upgrade to iOS5 but I'm not sure how much of an inconvenience using the tethered jailbreak will be. The only things I use are FullScreen Safari, and SBSettings.

Personally I don't like the tether jailbreak options. Any time you want to restart the phone you have to be tethered and have the application open and it seems a little buggy compared to the non-tethered jailbreaks. I think this applies to re-springing as well, so most times when you install apps you need to be tethered. If you're on the go and your phone crashes (not terribly uncommon for a jailbroken phone) then you are without your jailbreak apps for the duration. If you are just using SBSettings and FS Safari, I'm guessing you won't have many stability problems, and being without for a while wouldn't be very impactful. May as well go for it, but keep in mind it is usually more of a pain in the ass to do a tethered jailbreak than non-tethered.

If for some reason my phone dies and I can't get back to my PC to tetherboot, will phone still boot?

I got impatient and decided to try out the tethered jailbreak this morning. It looks like the phone can't boot up on it's own in the case of a reboot, still works on resprings. Kinda sucks, but I've only drained my battery completely like 2 or 3 times in the 18 months I've had my phone so I think I can live with it.

Personally I don't like the tether jailbreak options. Any time you want to restart the phone you have to be tethered and have the application open and it seems a little buggy compared to the non-tethered jailbreaks. I think this applies to re-springing as well, so most times when you install apps you need to be tethered. If you're on the go and your phone crashes (not terribly uncommon for a jailbroken phone) then you are without your jailbreak apps for the duration. If you are just using SBSettings and FS Safari, I'm guessing you won't have many stability problems, and being without for a while wouldn't be very impactful. May as well go for it, but keep in mind it is usually more of a pain in the ass to do a tethered jailbreak than non-tethered.

You ONLY need to be tethered to a computer on reboots. Respringing the device works fine.

Besides Sbsettings and My3G, the only other cydia packages I'm running is Install0us and Notification center mods to keep the phone stable until the untethered JB is released.

Sounds like a pain just for SBsettings and FSSafari. I'd just go plain ios5 until a real JB.

I've upgraded today, kinda of smooth but loss all apps after it was restored from backup. Synced the apps from my computer and all the data from apps are still there so that's good.

I actually upgraded from 3gs and had to old bootrom so it is actually untethered.

Any word if we'll be able to unlock an iPhone 4 that's been already upgraded to IOS 5 (with new baseband)?

I was considering updating to enjoy the new features but when I think about it I have enough trouble keeping my phone charged and it would really suck to HAVE to have your PC around...think I'll wait for untethered.

Yeah, I think you can still preserve unlock if you update with custom IPSW, never update with stock!!!!

BigBoss released SemiUntethered which allows a tethered jailbroken iPhone to boot into iOS with limited functionality.

BigBoss released SemiUntethered which allows a tethered jailbroken iPhone to boot into iOS with limited functionality.
I saw that, but according to chpwn's twitter "I'd avoid @BigBoss's "semitether" myself. It's one of the most insane hacks I've seen lately, and a sane replacement shouldn't be difficult"

I've read that it will break the ability to sync your device, and in some cases, can cause issues that will force you to restore it without doing a proper backup.

I'd be cautious about using it.

I saw that, but according to chpwn's twitter "I'd avoid @BigBoss's "semitether" myself. It's one of the most insane hacks I've seen lately, and a sane replacement shouldn't be difficult"

I've read that it will break the ability to sync your device, and in some cases, can cause issues that will force you to restore it without doing a proper backup.

I'd be cautious about using it.

Yea, I've read similar things. I'm not going to mess with it.

Yea, I've read similar things. I'm not going to mess with it.

Just out of curiousity, where do y'all read this? I've been looking for a good community/website that does updates/info/articles on jailbreaking (pretty new to it, despite having an iOS device of some kind for the better part of 3 years).

Back