iOS 4.2 on the iPad

Makes the iPad useful to me (even though I bought it for my mother). It seemed so slow before without saving and resuming the state of apps when you quit. No more painful reload of pages when safari relaunches. The single greatest change on both the iPad and iPhone with 4.2 is the ability to change the font in Notes to Helvetica and get rid of that awful marker felt. Changing orientation lock to mute seems pretty useless. It is now consistant with the iPhone but mute doesn't seem to affect a lot of applications and it was handier having orientation lock at hand without the double tap, swipe and tap. Being able to group applications into folders like the iPhone is pretty nice for organizing everything down to a single home screen.

I don't have a compatible printer so I haven't been able to try AirPrint but the moment I can order one combo unit I'll be doing that and getting rid of the scanner and printer and the box connected to them to act as a server.

Still can't save PDFs from Safari which drives me nuts.

Last edited:
I really think they should give iPad owners the option of using the switch for orientation or mute, Because I like to draw and I use it pretty frequently when drawing in Autodesk Sketchpad :/

I really think they should give iPad owners the option of using the switch for orientation or mute, Because I like to draw and I use it pretty frequently when drawing in Autodesk Sketchpad :/

You can stll lock it, just it is in the multitasking menu.

I wish they would release it already, I thought indications were a release for this week?

I wish they would release it already, I thought indications were a release for this week?

I read Friday. I believe they are also waiting for OSX 10.6.5 to release, which may be today. IIRC iOS 4.2 requires OSX 10.6.5 to run.

I don't see what the OS has to do with it but a bunch of places in the news are now saying the update for iTunes hits tomorrow and then 4.2 hits Friday at 10.

I've been using it for about a week now and I'm really enjoying it. Just being able to have multitasking is huge as well as the app folders. Although I've really liked my ipad since I've had it, it was kind of annoying having a disparity of features between my ipad and iphone 4. BTW all you need is itunes 10.1 (beta) to install/sync iOS 4.2, 10.6.5 isn't necessary.

I read Friday. I believe they are also waiting for OSX 10.6.5 to release, which may be today. IIRC iOS 4.2 requires OSX 10.6.5 to run.

10.6.5 is only to enable AirPrint for printers connected to your Mac for those without AirPrint compatible printers. iTunes 10.1 is the only requirement for iOS 4.2.

I don't own an iPad yet, but this sounds like good news, as I intend on getting one for textbook reading, general reference, and recreation. As an aside, I installed it on my iPhone 3GS yesterday and have been pleased with it so far. The slight sluggishness of the UI when swiping from the Home Screen to Search seems to be gone, and the UI in general is a bit smoother. Also, relaunching Safari doesn't seem to require refreshing the pages again, which was annoying.

The only downside is that the new printing ability is limited to very few HP models and AirPrint through a PC or Mac has apparently been canceled.

BTW all you need is itunes 10.1 (beta) to install/sync iOS 4.2, 10.6.5 isn't necessary.

This is correct. 10.6.5 will be necessary for AirPlay and AirPrint compatibility, but is not required to install iOS 4.2.

The only downside is that the new printing ability is limited to very few HP models and AirPrint through a PC or Mac has apparently been canceled.

People are saying it's either a bug issue or patent infringement, but I smell HP contract. :p

I think that once iPad's start shipping with 4.2, I'll buy one. I'd like to avoid getting one now and have 4.2 be my (possibly) one free full iOS upgrade.

Ugh, my biggest gripe with Apple is that if you really want the most out of your product, it's all about timing the purchase.

You can stll lock it, just it is in the multitasking menu.

Yea, But when your really absorbed into your drawing, and have to actually go into a menu, instead of just flipping a switch, it gets really aggravating. I hope the JB community comes out with a fix :)

They launched it 6 months later. It should have been out in June. I mean I knew ahead of time so they didnt decieve or anything, but its...not impressive.

No, it should not have been out in June. The iPad launched in April. By then, iOS 4.0 had been in development for months with a set release date and a specific feature list. Internally, the iPad project was separate from the iPhone and iPod Touch projects. There was no way to meet the iPhone 4’s June launch AND get iOS 4.0 out the door AND include iPad support.

Software development takes a long time and operates on a timeline. It’s not as easy as saying “Oh, there’s a new device coming, quick, check in a support patch.” Doesn’t work that way.

I'm a software engineer, I know how or goes. For two devices that share a codebase to have a 5 month release separation is piss poor product management. The only thing they've really added in those 5 months is air print whatever, so they took months to what, work on firmware? Why the he'll are two teams in apple working on the same code so horribly out of sync.

I'm a software engineer, I know how or goes. For two devices that share a codebase to have a 5 month release separation is piss poor product management.

Or the result of different products being put on different development tracks. Which is exactly what happened.

The only thing they've really added in those 5 months is air print whatever, so they took months to what, work on firmware?

Negative exaggerations will get you nowhere.

Why the he'll are two teams in apple working on the same code so horribly out of sync.

If you’re a software engineer, then you should know the answer to this.

@Cali,
Your post begs the question of whether the iPad and other iDevices shared the same codebase since June.

They did not.

That should clear up your confusion.

@Cali,
Your post begs the question of whether the iPad and other iDevices shared the same codebase since June.

They did not.

That should clear up your confusion.

I see. I was under that assumption. I have to assume there are plans to unify them?

Yeah, that's what 4.2 is (unifying the code for all iDevices). It's also why the name has been changed to iOS.

Pretty far from unified though the situation is getting better. On apple's side they have an OS image for every device still, and people are going to expect all of them to get updated simultaneously now. Not like other handset manufacturers that just drop old models. On the DEV's side they still have three screen resolutions to deal with along with all the other hardware differences there are between the different platforms. Feature wise depending on the age of the device you can't expect the same versions to have the same capabilities.

I don't know, I just want multitasking so apps work right on my ipad.

Pretty far from unified though the situation is getting better. On apple's side they have an OS image for every device still, and people are going to expect all of them to get updated simultaneously now.

And they will. Though they’ve more or less discontinued support for the original iPhone, even though you can load iOS 4.0 on there. Not sure why you’d want to, but it’s possible.

Back