iOS 4.2 beta 1 Released

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It didn’t take too long for Apple to issue a beta version for iOS 4.2 released last week. The beta is directed at developers and the final version is due to be released in November. The beta contains updates along with some significant changes.

One of the most significant changes is the introducing of AirPrint, which will initially allow iPad, iPhone and iPod touch users to wirelessly print to a compatible HP printer at the touch of a button.

Wow. Apple sure is upgrading their OS a whole lot..
How is a consumer going to be able to keep up with all the versions etc?/s
Actually at the rate of their updates, they are starting to look like Microsoft w/ their patches..

You mean they're finally going public about the updates they're doing instead of doing sneaky updates?

Actually at the rate of their updates, they are starting to look like Microsoft w/ their patches..

I disagree. Major updates come probably every 3-4 months.

The small ones like 4.0.1 & 4.0.2 were Apple's quick response to "fix" problems.

iTunes nags the hell out of you to upgrade, every time you use it.

un. fucking. believable.

compatible HP printers... because clearly only HP printers are capable of printing.

iTunes nags the hell out of you to upgrade, every time you use it.

I haven't used iTunes in years, and since I bought this iPhone it's just like this. Every time I use it I need an update.

I've never had a program update like this. It's worse than my AV.

I installed this last night. No noticeable fixes. It has a new baseband, which I am assuming is to address the 4.1 jailbreak.

un. fucking. believable.

compatible HP printers... because clearly only HP printers are capable of printing.

HP is just the first to announce that they will support printing directly from the iOS device to the printer. All other printers will be supported normal ways (be on the network via bonjour or shared on your computer, with itunes running)

Every iOS update is a full firmware reflash, containing all previous updates, so there are no patches: only one new firmware which iTunes, as said previously, will nag you to install. You can disable the nag but not without seeing it the first time.

Every iTunes and Quicktunes "update" is not even an update but a full install. We have been battling Apple to work on a viable patching solution. The last iOS "update" was about 500 MB on an iPhone.

I think this is great,... I have been waiting way to long to have multi-tasking on my iPad. Not sure why they didn't keep the iPad in the same path as the iPods and iPhones.

If they waited any longer than this to get the iPad updated, they would lose to android pretty badly in reviews and on paper, I think.

Every iTunes and Quicktunes "update" is not even an update but a full install. We have been battling Apple to work on a viable patching solution. The last iOS "update" was about 500 MB on an iPhone.

I think we can agree however that even upgrading a Microsoft OS is bad news. Fresh install where OS is concerned is always preferable and safer, whether Apple or Microsoft, especially considering the number of users to cover.

Back