IObit's Game Booster 3

ninjaturtle

2[H]4U
Anyone tried this program, is it worth it? I noticed it when I installed Smart Defrag 2.

Still can get it for free for the next 30 days.

All of these things are fake, crap, and often do more harm than good. Background processes in comparison to wealth of CPU power and vast memory we have these days won't do anything to gaming performance unless your computer is ancient and you notice your ram filling to capacity and your CPU cycles at max during gaming.

Here's a review that rated Game Booster Excellent (a small 2%-ish boost to FPS, much faster load times):
http://tweakhunt.blogspot.com/2012/01/software-review-game-booster.html

At download(dot)com, Game Booster gets good marks from both users and the Editor.

I used a similar program in the days of Windows 9x and it worked well. I use Game Booster now, at work, on an idiot's laptop that I have to sometimes use, but not for the purpose of games, but to make the Laptop work better without permanently changing anything.

It doesn't hurt. It might help. It's free, so why not?

7.4 years and you ask this? Sigh...

I'm shocked every day how veteran PC gamers still fall for crapware and the equivalent of snake oil medical quackery for "cleaning" their registries, suspect-defragging, "optimizing", killing processes, etc.

Get rid of Smart Defrag as well please. IObit is a very unsavory company.

Oh give the guy a break, I'm a senior software engineer, and I've never heard of this company. It isn't like he came on here pimping this thing out, he just asked if anyone knew about it.

Game Booster is (was?) good if you didn't have much RAM, but RAM is so cheap nowadays that it rarely makes a difference anymore.

7.4 years and you ask this? Sigh...

and...

We're not making an ass-u-me( -e+ption=assumption), are we? Because everyone( I hope) knows that asking questions and looking before they leap is a very bad thing.:rolleyes:

Thanks to the others BTW.

As far me installing SD2, I'm comparing it to Defraggler that I been using for years.

I know it came off as rude and i should have answered the question so sorry for the kurtness.

Sorry, I just don't like software that claims to "boost" performance. Many users unwittingly use these things to kill processes or "clean" things like the registry (which can be bad for Windows 7) and often cause more harm than good.

This program is about as useless as those programs that "defrag" your RAM. Yes, there was such programs years ago.

ahahahhahaha.

thanks for the funny of the holiday wknd OP.

Again, to everyone saying this is "useless", it's really not but it depends heavily on your system configuration. All this really does is kill processes that you don't need/use while gaming, freeing up more system resources for the game. This was cool back when people had less than 4 GB RAM, but nowadays most people have at LEAST 4 GB, and that's plenty for like 99.9% of games out there now.

One of the developers over at Bohemia Interactive (makers of ArmA 2) has advocated the use of Game Booster in the past, so it's not some useless junkware like many of you seem to think.

Again, to everyone saying this is "useless", it's really not but it depends heavily on your system configuration. All this really does is kill processes that you don't need/use while gaming, freeing up more system resources for the game. This was cool back when people had less than 4 GB RAM, but nowadays most people have at LEAST 4 GB, and that's plenty for like 99.9% of games out there now.

One of the developers over at Bohemia Interactive (makers of ArmA 2) has advocated the use of Game Booster in the past, so it's not some useless junkware like many of you seem to think.

BI isn't the crowning pinnacle of good development. Recommending shitty software for trying to run shitty software isn't going to do much. Hell, their "game" engine isn't even a game engine, they built it off a hodgepodge of their VBS product and that's why it runs like ass.

Back in the days of XP and people having limited ram, using programs like this and/or disabling bloatware services did in fact make a difference if you had limited ram. Now, not so much.

The one program though that I do use and love is CleanMem. http://www.pcwintech.com/about-cleanmem

No defragging ram or other ridiculousness to it, simply forces a built in windows API to restore ram, but again most useful for older rigs, no night and day differences to be had.

Windows Vista/7 already handle this remarkably well. SuperFetch will load anything and everything into memory it can to speed things up and remove unneccessary items from RAM when necessary. Other processes that aren't being used are idle and don't use any CPU.

With Windows XP, the system would get bogged down with 60+ processes running in the background. With Windows 7 and Vista, its pretty routine to be running 100+ processes and not even feel a hint of slowdown.
This software IS useless for Windows Vista/7. What miniscule gains that can be made are mostly a placebo effect. If this software does make a difference, its because there is something else wrong with your system such as a virus or spyware running in background.

BI isn't the crowning pinnacle of good development. Recommending shitty software for trying to run shitty software isn't going to do much. Hell, their "game" engine isn't even a game engine, they built it off a hodgepodge of their VBS product and that's why it runs like ass.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, okay. Let's see other engines try to accomplish all that the VBS engine does.

Also, VBS was originally based on OFP, not the other way around.

I'm more shocked at the shitty attitudes and responses to a simple question than the question itself.

I'm more shocked at the shitty attitudes and responses to a simple question than the question itself.

Game Booster is by IObit, which has earned undieing hostility from a number of people. I think you're seeing that hostility.

In my previous reply, I provided a link to a website that tested the program and shows it does have some benefit in Windows 7! The program generally does get very good ratings from users.

Bottom line, it's free and it works, even if just a little.

Game Booster is by IObit, which has earned undieing hostility from a number of people. I think you're seeing that hostility.

In my previous reply, I provided a link to a website that tested the program and shows it does have some benefit in Windows 7! The program generally does get very good ratings from users.

Bottom line, it's free and it works, even if just a little.

Your link is worthless, the "author" didnt even take the time to show what he had running on his machine, he could of been running anything, and who knows how much in the background.

I also find it sad that you believe the claims of a blogger without looking into it further.

I also find it sad that you believe the claims of a blogger without looking into it further.

I've found a number of reviews that say it works. Here's another, "In Ultra settings at 1080p, Skyrim usually swayed between 15 and 40 frames per second, a less than optimal range. With Game Booster 3 on, that rate stayed between 20 and 40..."

They might not be the most professional reviews, but everyone I've seen agrees that it works. So, it looks to me that you're talking out of your ass.

just looking at the comments...

Arthur Tucker
I went from ~20-30 fps to ~30-70 fps in Minecraft.

Gains like that are fucking ENORMOUS and are probably impossible outside of something being hideously wrong in the first place (or they're just full of shit). If you have something that intensive just rampaging around in the background while you try and do another intensive task, you're doing something wrong. Just like that earlier review where the load times were hugely decreased -- it's happening for a reason, go figure it out; your hard-drive doesn't thrash for no reason.

If you have any idea whatsoever as to what is actually going on in your computer then this is useless. Looking at my system, there's a little disk IO from chrome and a fraction of a fraction of a percent average CPU time from most programs, trying to do much better would likely just be an effort in futility.

I've found a number of reviews that say it works. Here's another, "In Ultra settings at 1080p, Skyrim usually swayed between 15 and 40 frames per second, a less than optimal range. With Game Booster 3 on, that rate stayed between 20 and 40..."

They might not be the most professional reviews, but everyone I've seen agrees that it works. So, it looks to me that you're talking out of your ass.

I commend your continuing attempts to defend a POS software. I get the feeling you had to hit Google pretty hard just to find this most recent "favorable" review (I say this because just increasing the minimum fps seems really odd). I have a hard understanding why you don't just accept that the software is a piece of trash.

Oh give the guy a break, I'm a senior software engineer, and I've never heard of this company. It isn't like he came on here pimping this thing out, he just asked if anyone knew about it.

At this point he should know that nothing will improve gaming performance than a combination of optimized code, faster IO, faster CPU, etc. Crapware like this only installs junk on computers slowing it down.

Wow, you guys are ridiculous. Can't believe this thread is still going...

At this point he should know that nothing will improve gaming performance than a combination of optimized code, faster IO, faster CPU, etc. Crapware like this only installs junk on computers slowing it down.

The problem with your post is that you have no evidence to back yourself up. Your claims fly in the face of every review I've found on Game Booster 3. That's a sh!tty position you've put yourself into.

At this point, you should know that even Windows 7 has processes running that take up memory and CPU time, and that suspending these could help speed up performance.

Wow, you guys are ridiculous. Can't believe this thread is still going...

This isn't ridiculous! This. Is. The. InterWebs*!!

(*Legendary realm of unending debate where both sides are both wrong and right and all arguments are unwinnable by the mere fact that nobody changes their position, ever, and just perpetuate until people grow bored or get distracted by new debate.)

The problem with your post is that you have no evidence to back yourself up. Your claims fly in the face of every review I've found on Game Booster 3. That's a sh!tty position you've put yourself into.

At this point, you should know that even Windows 7 has processes running that take up memory and CPU time, and that suspending these could help speed up performance.

I beg to differ. I have a Sempron 145 with a AMD 4890 and decided to install it to test out instead of spouting wild speculation either way. Running Heaven benchmark on defaults, no game booster: 57 avg and 21 minimum. game booster on: 54 avg 23 minimum. I gained a little on lowest fps but lowered the avg? I would say my system is targeted towards this software and it doesn't do jack shit. I also tested it with a couple games. It might do better with even lesser specs but how much lower can you get from a single core Sempron? At that point you really need to upgrade your hardware as no software is going to do squat...

Bottom line is it's not even worth it for free, much less having to pay for it at the end of June when it goes to pay software.

To the OP:

I gave it a go, more than likely, for the same reason you're thinking about doing it. My old Q6600 is long in the tooth after my good mobo died and took out the ram with it. Now I'm stuck at 2.4 with 800 DDR2 ram... yuck!

Anyway, I tested it on Skyrim, BF3, Diablo3, and Starcraft2. Even though the program claims a 42% boost in game mode, I saw no discernable difference in performance at all. Uninstalling was fast.

Q6600 @ stock
DDR2 800 3gig (32bit Vista)
5770 1gig (overclocks like a beast, but cpu bottleneck makes it moot)
46" Sony Brava @1920x1080

Back