InXile CEO is Upbeat about Microsoft Aquisition

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Microsoft doesn't have the best track record when it comes to game studio acquisitions, which led many RPG fans to worry about InXile and Obsidian when the software giant bought them out. But Eurogamer recently interviewed InXile's CEO, Brian Fargo, and he seems particularly excited about the deal. Among other things, Brian says "I founded Interplay in 1983, and this will be the first time in my career I will be able to focus 100 per cent of my energy on product development." He revealed that they have a big project in the works, which is now getting more time and resources, says that Microsoft is being relatively unintrusive, confirmed that all games they promised to support on the PS4 will still support the PS4, and noted that they aren't merging with Obsidian, even though the two studios may occasionally "swap notes." Brian even canceled his post Wasteland 3 retirement plans, suggesting that he has at least some confidence in the company's future. While the studio's future seem bright now, time will tell if the enthusiasm holds up.

We're getting more resources and potentially more time depending on what the project is. If you look at most of the great developers, from Blizzard to Rockstar, the thing everybody gets in those higher echelons is time. Time is the most precious thing a developer can be given... Most people in development know a little bit of extra time goes an incredibly long way towards the end. I know it doesn't seem like it but it's always the case. When you finally get it together, you feel it, you can really focus on iteration. Is the pacing right? Is it hitting the right messages? Do we like the arcs of difficulty? Gosh if I had 90 more days I could really tune that in. As a smaller company it's really hard to get that. That's what this gives us.

Personally, I'm excited to see "AA and a half" projects from InXile, however long they last.

Last edited:
Your life as it has been is over, from this time forward, you will service, us. -Micro$oft

This purchase is seemingly 100% incompatible. At least for InXile a maker of anti console old schoolish RPGs. Pretty sure thats a death sentence for that company sadly. In essence MS is buying the name.

I imagine I'd be "upbeat" too if MS backed up an armored car full of cash into *my* driveway... ;-)
Yeah there's a TheOnion headline in there somewhere, ala "New mayor 'totally fucking pumped' about his town"

I like Brian Fargo and most of the games he has released. I hope MSFT gives him funding and creative freedom to keep doing what he does best! Heck, I think I've backed all of his Kickstarters...fingers crossed.

Things will be great until some type of 'shift' in philosophy, goals, or leadership at Microsoft. Just ask Brad McQuaid and Sigil Games Online how things go when Microsoft commits to funding a AAA MMO in Vanguard: Saga of Heroes and cuts you off at $30 million due to a 'shift in view' at Microsoft. $30 Million is far less than World of Warcraft's initial budget (estimated to be around $80 million) or Star Wars: The Old Republic which was estimated to be about $150 to $200 million.

I suspect it will be a good thing in the short term. make hay while the sun shines.

With the next games (after currently promised games) being Windows store exclusives for the PC market, will mods work?

being Windows store exclusives for the PC market, will mods work?
Haha - good one. Trapped in the ghost town of the Windows 10 store, inside 6 layer DRM wrapper called UWP, not a chance.

Microsoft's end game is a total head scratcher. They bother to buy up studios but then cut off their oxygen by relegating their games to total obscurity in that store, which also loses potential sales from tens of millions of combined Win7/8 gamers as well as gamers on Steam.

Last edited:
Honestly I am happy for them, Obsidian and InXile have been promising some big things to come but haven’t delivered much lately and while they have talent they needed cash to get things done and put the door. Both companies understand that getting things out the door for a Christmas or Easter launch is no longer the big date, mid cycle launches are becoming the norm and they are showing to be profitable. Microsoft has also seen a number of EA titles fail horribly not because of it being a bad game but because they flubbed or pushed the launch. So I can only hope that Microsoft learns from all those failures and just lets them put out a good product with out riding their asses on hard deadlines mandated by marketing.

This purchase is seemingly 100% incompatible. At least for InXile a maker of anti console old schoolish RPGs. Pretty sure thats a death sentence for that company sadly. In essence MS is buying the name.

Not sure what you're talking about, every non-Mobile title InXile has made has been released on consoles. Going back to Interplay, they had a lot of great console releases also. The Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance games were some of my favorites on PS2. Also, I don't think InXile's name is overly valuable. They are a talented studio that makes great games and has a rich history, but I wouldn't call them an overly bankable name. It's their talent that makes them valuable (same goes for Obsidian).

I'd be thrilled to see a fresh isometric hack-n-slash RPG, from either InXile or Obsidian, that has a Microsoft budget instead of a Kickstarter budget.

Not sure what you're talking about, every non-Mobile title InXile has made has been released on consoles. Going back to Interplay, they had a lot of great console releases also. The Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance games were some of my favorites on PS2. Also, I don't think InXile's name is overly valuable. They are a talented studio that makes great games and has a rich history, but I wouldn't call them an overly bankable name. It's their talent that makes them valuable (same goes for Obsidian).

I'd be thrilled to see a fresh isometric hack-n-slash RPG, from either InXile or Obsidian, that has a Microsoft budget instead of a Kickstarter budget.

If it turns out that way I'd be happy too.

Problem is they will likely take the talent and try to make a game I'll suited for the talent. Hence my console comment. Generally speaking the console audience isnt known for their patience for games such as wasteland2, pillars of eternity ect, ect. I know some released on console, maybe I'm wrong in thinking they didnt sell well. Could just be my way of looking at it, can't even imagine trying to play a iso rpg with a controller rather than mouse and keyboard.

Guess it all boils down to what they make and what audience its tailored too.

If it turns out that way I'd be happy too.

Problem is they will likely take the talent and try to make a game I'll suited for the talent. Hence my console comment. Generally speaking the console audience isnt known for their patience for games such as wasteland2, pillars of eternity ect, ect. I know some released on console, maybe I'm wrong in thinking they didnt sell well. Could just be my way of looking at it, can't even imagine trying to play a iso rpg with a controller rather than mouse and keyboard.

Guess it all boils down to what they make and what audience its tailored too.

Different strokes and all that. I hate iso RPGs with a mouse. They feel so much more natural to me on a controller.

I think Diablo 3 did well on consoles, and it wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft wanted to capitalize on that. If that's they plan, they picked the right talent.

Back