Invisibility has ruined games for me

I kind of get it for some game formats, but you need to decrease the visibility of snipers somehow due to scale and gameplay in some games.

I got ganked repeatedly by stealthers when I was a caster in DAoC. It wasn't fun but they sucked horribly at PvE and couldn't put up any meaningful numbers in large fights.

I don't think there's anything psychologically different about the people who play these classes though. You seem to be pretty hung up on disparaging and judging people who play as invisible characters which is not cool.

OP doesn't like to consider tactics in games and would prefer to rush in bullheaded. Then he gets very upset when someone who uses tactics instead wrecks him. Instead of learning how to counter the tactics used against him, he posts angry rant. Pretty much what I got out of this thread.

OP doesn't like to consider tactics in games and would prefer to rush in bullheaded. Then he gets very upset when someone who uses tactics instead wrecks him. Instead of learning how to counter the tactics used against him, he posts angry rant. Pretty much what I got out of this thread.

This is what I'm getting. Invisibility isn't god mode, especially in WoW. My shaman had zero trouble with rogues. Did I die to them? Sure I did, especially good rogues bit good rogues were few and far between and average and crappy rogues were generally dead before they knew it. Shamans could literally 1 shot rogues with windfury and a good 2 hand axe. Shamans were perhaps the 1 class that should never die to a rogue in WoW. This is all up to Burning Crusade. After that I thought the game went to shit. Dailies? Wtf was that shit. Dailies ruined WoW more than Rogues ever did.

OP, have you ever shot someone in the back during multiplayer FPS? He couldn't see you coming, yet you were still fine shooting him.

ding ding ding, and this is my point. This is the mentality of people that play invisible characters.

I was totally being facetious. Also, it's pretty bold to state that as the core mentality of people who use a stealth based class/unit. There is enough evidence here, though, to say that you have a victim mentality with regards to playing a game and its mechanics.

I hear what you are saying, and here is where you are wrong. In real life invisibility is a major strategic goal. We have special forces that use a variety of methods of stealth to achieve an advantage. We have stealth bombers, stealth fighters, hell we have stealth battleships. Other nations also have stealth forces. It is a major strategic component to warfare. It isn't put into games because it is a lazy tactic, its put in there because its a real part of real strategy.

What you are talking about isn't really strategy at all. You are basing everything off what you can see. But almost all of strategy is designed around hiding your actions from your opponent and only letting them see what you want them to, regardless of whether you even have stealth/invisible units or not. Plus in many games, this is balanced well with detection units and abilities. I find it hilarious you mention rogue vs shaman in WOW, since when I used to play I owned rogues as a shaman using many of the counter abilities that shaman possessed.

It is all about knowing how to use what you have to counter your opponent, that is true strategy, not your lazy version of strategy. You just want to see whatever is there and then press the counter button to automatically counter it. That is extremely lazy and is no strategy at all.

They also are looking into stealth off-road motorcycles (aka Electric) for special forces on land to get into a zone and out faster.. hehehe.

stealth is the ultimate goal in real life military as much as games.. Mr wizard seem to show how to do a basically head with no body trick by using mirrors. Also hasn't the military or some defense contractor did testing with armor/cloth that basically did some invisibility by using cameras and projecting the image of the environment onto it. seem like that was on front page of hardocp.

finally someone with a real argument. Now let me tell you why you're wrong.

It is NOT like any other unit. Every other unit you can see coming, that's a huge difference! It's fun trying to move certain units forward because you want them to attack first. It's fun using your reflexes to out shoot someone else. Getting stabbed in the back from someone you couldn't see coming even if you turned around is not fun.

I'm not saying in every game it's op. Really the spy's in tf2 aren't op, but the point is the way the have to go about doing what they do is bullshit. Hide, get behind someone then instantly kill them without any counter from the other player.

Again games are all visual based, this shouldn't be a part of them let alone in damn near every game.

It points to a larger problem in society, people who are trying to always get ahead without any concern for the nobility of their actions, a society of people who say nobody's perfect and use that as an excuse to do bad things. I think I can sum it up by saying that if you play a rogue in wow you are what's wrong with this world.

You need to take a break from gaming as the mental strain of coming up with viable counter tactics to this issue has obviously gotten the better of you.

I suggest you go watch some pretty butterflies. Here's one that can go invisible.

glasswing00.jpg

I get that wow's balance is out of whack all around but still if you're a person that isn't playing one of the invisibility classes, doesn't that annoy the fuck out of you? Going along minding your own business and someone comes along and gets the jump on you just because of a game mechanic that you don't have.

I wouldn't have an issue with it if it wasn't in every other multiplayer game. Not lazy... really think about how many games have it in them.

So your upset cause you don't pay attention to what is going on around you, knowing there could be someone invisible....

It is like Spy in TF2... it is hard to play well and easily countered.

Again you bring up WoW and fps not rts. In rts they are valid counters to stealth and it isn't a big deal.

In fps and WoW stealth was annoying but we easily countered if you worked as a team. Stealth is great for picking off the unskilled or stragglers. In DAoC shadowblades were hugely OP because they had a skill which could one shot most players and if a one shot occured they wouldn't drop from stealth so I can see you bitching about that but I don't think you are.

Every other game has a counter to stealth. If you're getting destroyed that much by stealth you need to rethink your tactics and strategy.

yeah, he keeps making a point about rogues but hasnt said anything about feral kitty druids who also has stealth. Part of the issue with rogues is as much their skillset, which is desgned around the initial use of stealth. Between their sap, kidney shot, stun and kick and whatever else they have, they are aggravating for some classes. Because most rogues tend to blow all the cooldowns for their initial burst, if you survive that pretty reasonably with a decent amount of health, you have a good chance of beating them. Though cloak of shadows is kinda bull shit with getitng rid of dots. If he thought shammies got destroyed by rogues, he should try warlock during the icc days. arg! There is no greater hard counter in wow class against a class as the infamous rogue to a warlock.,Especially in world pvp which warlocks dont often have their 2 portals up for getting distance away from melees. I played a lock until cata when the developers utterly destroyed the warlock class and quit because of it. I came back in MOP in october of last year and now main a monk. Found a group of 5 people that like playing with, and enjoy it.

It's not lazy I genuinely hate all people that take part in it, if it was socially acceptable to put them in ovens I would.

Seriously though nobody has a problem with this being in every non realism based multiplayer game practically.

I would pay good money to spend 10 minutes in a multiplayer match with you when global voice chat is on. Not even to play, just to listen and laugh.

Works well in The Hidden: Source. In fact, the entire game mechanic depends on it.

However, it's actually balanced.

please tell me a game where it's done right. It's cheap and usually trumps everything else for the most part. Everything about it is lazy, that's why it's in so many games, because it's so damn easy.

Almost every D&D game ever made got it right.

This thread is delivers.

Oh man, I remember the game that was totally broke with invisibility! Black Hawk Down! Terribly buggy game, mediocre game play, but we ran it at the Café and for some reason it was one of the favorites! I found out that after a while of not moving you become perfectly blended with the environment! Yea that was crazy.

I get that wow's balance is out of whack all around but still if you're a person that isn't playing one of the invisibility classes, doesn't that annoy the fuck out of you? Going along minding your own business and someone comes along and gets the jump on you just because of a game mechanic that you don't have.

I wouldn't have an issue with it if it wasn't in every other multiplayer game. Not lazy... really think about how many games have it in them.

Rogues were always easy to handle if you understood how. I think it all comes down to situational awareness and player skill.

No offense but it doesn't sound like you understood how to deal with a rogue and frankly you can't blame that on wow. I played a rogue for years and I was good at it but good players always provided me with a challenge. These days rogues can't hardly gank anyone except maybe at earlier levels.

Just as consoles were never a threat to PC gaming, laptops, smart phones, and tablets just turned the desktop into something that makes about as much sense for most people as a typewriter.

And the day I have to use one of those smart phones or a tablet is the day I am done with gaming.

Last edited:
You should stop playing competitive multiplayer games, seriously. You can't handle the fact that people will abuse certain parts of a game and are somehow trying to set a moral standard. Seriously, get away from games, do something else for a while and come back when you have calmed down.

This... No and don't come back.. He just can't handle these games.. Try something different than gaming.

I would pay good money to spend 10 minutes in a multiplayer match with you when global voice chat is on. Not even to play, just to listen and laugh.

This thread was a blast. I'm actually quite good in most games and I'm surprised nobody caught on that I was only half serious in most of my posts and mistook it for rage. Hard to tell on the internet I suppose.

Anyways I'm out of this it's gone on long enough. Still don't understand how people can defend not being able to see something in an activity that's entirely visual based, and the sheer amount of games that use this tactic. To the two of you that agreed with me I appreciate your feedback.

And the day I have to use one of those smart phones or a tablet is the day I am done with gaming.

You're being silly.

There's nothing stopping you from buying what you want. But most people used their desktops for basic email, internet, office. Then they did it on laptops. Now they are moving to cell phones and tablets.

Who knows, we may be having games on our glasses or beamed into our eyeballs in a few years. The issue is the computing devices people are using have been getting smaller and more mobile and people have been running from big, giant, power sucking, corded monsters for a while now.

I for one welcome being able to play games on my smart glasses in meetings.

Back