"Invalid product key entered" for Win7 key I've been using for years

Colonel Sanders

Supreme [H]ardness
So I got a new SSD today and went to install Windows 7 home premium on it, using the same key I've been using for literally like 7 years now.

When I get to the key entry part, I put in my key and it says "invalid product key." I tried the MS Answer Desk chat thingy and after like 2 hours of remote sessions and shit they still couldn't figure anything out so I gave up on them, though they did run the key and told me it is valid.

Anyone ever run into this?

The only thing I can think of is the version of Windows 7 you installed does not match the key. Did you pull the ISO from another source or is the same one you've been using?

I've had that problem trying to use a key on the integrated SP1 version. I always have to pull out the non-Service Pack version and use the key there. I hate going through all of those damned updates!

I can provide you an ISO to Windows 7 Ultimate (and you can generate a SHA1 checksum and check it against official ISOs to validate that I didn't tamper with it). All you have to do is "burn" it to a USB flash drive using Microsoft's USB tool, delete /sources/ei.cfg, boot from USB flash drive, and select the Home edition when the installer asks which edition you want.

This would likely work.

Nope this was the same disc and same key I've been using since the SP1 release which was years ago now. I'm baffled but somehow the key was locked due to how many times I've reformatted/reinstalled over the years. The strange thing is I have NO CLUE how the installation process checks the key when there is no internet connection and the hard drive is completely blank (brand new...)

I had to work with like 4 different MS "Answer Desk" agents for them to get my key straightened out again.

I just built a new PC and was trying to download an official ISO from MS using my product key(Win 7 Ultimate that I won from MS) it denied me repeatedly saying that the language choosen (english) was incorrect. Huh? Incorrect? How? I finally gave up and 3rd partied it as I was trying to get all fancy and create a USB UEFI boot drive.

I just built a new PC and was trying to download an official ISO from MS using my product key(Win 7 Ultimate that I won from MS) it denied me repeatedly saying that the language choosen (english) was incorrect. Huh? Incorrect? How? I finally gave up and 3rd partied it as I was trying to get all fancy and create a USB UEFI boot drive.
I've PM'd you.

Back