"invalid input" playing nfs on 47 inch LG

Lt.Col.Dehler

Limp Gawd
Whenever i try and play need for speed undercover on our new 47 inch lg it says "invalid input" and turns black. Im running the stardard vga cable, no hdmi cables, is that my problem?
My desktop resolution is full 1980x1080.

I remember most need for speed games didnt support widescreen resolutions and you had to use some type of mod from like widescreengaming.com to make them work.

I had NFS installed with my widescreen and never ran into that kind of problem.

i havnt had a problem either. ive been running it fine at 1440x900 and i jsut got this new tv and wanted to test my comp on it.

That may be the problem then. Since you are hooking it up to a different display, the TV may not support 1440x900 as a resolution.

Sounds like the TV's pissed off about the resolution you're feeding it. Which model LG? I just ordered a 47LG50 (47"). I haven't got it yet, but I did dl the manual.

According to the manual I downloaded, the 47LG50, 47LG60, and 47LG70 support the following "PC" modes:
640x350
720x400
640x480
800x600
1024x768
1280x768
1280x1024
1360x768
1600x1200*
1920x1080

I'd try using one of the modes on that list. If the game only supports 4:3, try 1024x768. I assume 4:3 includes the 5:4 mode 1280x1024 though... games that don't support widescreen have supported that previously sick and twisted mode for a long time. (No longer sick and twisted because a lot of 1280x1024 LCDs were made that actually had a 5:4 aspect ratio, it was sick and twisted on a 4:3 CRT though)

*Ok, so I don't get the 1600x1200 either. I know it can't really display that.

why are u running vga? get yourself a nice dvi to hdmi cable. Thats what I have running on my 40" tosh right now and it works with any resolution I throw at it up to 1080.

why are u running vga? get yourself a nice dvi to hdmi cable. Thats what I have running on my 40" tosh right now and it works with any resolution I throw at it up to 1080.

yeh im going to, but those things are dang expensive, even for 4 feet. I thought i had some extra hdpc cables laying around but i guess not, and im not even sure i want to keep the pc here because its kinda hard to game on, but i guess if i buy the hdmi and dont like the pc here i could use it for the xbox.
Is there realy that much of a difference with the hdmi vs the hdpc? because the hdpc cables are fairly cheaper then the hdmi.

I agree about the DVI->HDMI cable. If you shop around a bit you should be able to find cheap ones and those will work just fine.

NFS Undercover is one of the worst games of last year though. :p

Yeah, most likely the game is booting up at a res you tv doesn't like over vga. I experienced this with Mirror's Edge when I was using vga on my ln32a650--same thing as you, except "mode not supported". I actually use both vga and dvi>hdmi--I keep (switch) it to vga so the tv has a sleep mode when I'm not around. I figured it was feeding a res the set didn't like and after searching EA's boards to change an ini file or something it hit me to switch the input and bam, picture back.

I then changed Mirror's Edge in-game res to 1920x1080 (by default it was 1680x1050) and now I can fire it up no problerm over vga. It doesn't matter what you desktop res is and you'd probably have similiar results :)

Back