[Introduction] MSI Official Rep

Since my question didn't get a answer. I will try this once again. So we get no backplates for previous owners of GTX 970 and 980 owners? As we know MSI has them and it would be nice to get one now.

Hey Killer_K,

I apologize for not getting to your question.

We currently will not be offering backplates for previous 970/980 owners as of right now. I spoke with some HQ people about this already, however due to some issues/constraints, we aren't able to offer it.

HQ is already taking initiative about providing back plates in the future (for non-limited edition cards also), as i have seen a lot of interest in them from the community.

Hi there, do you know if MSI is working on the SLI fix in terms of voltages?

I have two MSI 980's in SLI and one of the cards runs at lower voltage than the other, thanks.

Hey Troy-X, let me pass this to our tech guys for them to take a look at, and i will let you know if they have anything.

That is exactly the answer I was looking for. No need to apologize as you have more to answer than me. I appreciate you answering the question. Look forward to some backplates in the future.

Hey Killer_K,

I apologize for not getting to your question.

We currently will not be offering backplates for previous 970/980 owners as of right now. I spoke with some HQ people about this already, however due to some issues/constraints, we aren't able to offer it.

HQ is already taking initiative about providing back plates in the future (for non-limited edition cards also), as i have seen a lot of interest in them from the community.

Eugene thank you for the answers you gave me earlier in this thread, because of them I've got 2 970 Gaming on the way. So if MSI is having any doubts that talking to your community has little to no benefits, here's their answer.

I would also be interested in backplates for them ;) and about a fix for the different voltages in SLI setups. Read that people fix the problem with custom bios. Maybe MSI can release something official on this.

Eugene thank you for the answers you gave me earlier in this thread, because of them I've got 2 970 Gaming on the way. So if MSI is having any doubts that talking to your community has little to no benefits, here's their answer.

I would also be interested in backplates for them ;) and about a fix for the different voltages in SLI setups. Read that people fix the problem with custom bios. Maybe MSI can release something official on this.

Awesome! Enjoy those 2 970's!

The BIOS team are normally aware of these issues, and should have updates as they work on them. Hopefully you will see the fixes soon. :D

MSi 980 GTX owner here, havent had anything MSI in a decade and I am impressed....except for the lack of a backplate.

Any update on the displayport issue? Running 2 identical MSI 970's and both have the problem if I just install one so its quite clearly a hardware bug.

What exactly is the problem you are having with the display port on yours? Mine works fine off my display port. I'm running bios version 84.04.1F.00.1F. I was going to see if I could create the problem on my end with mine.

What exactly is the problem you are having with the display port on yours? Mine works fine off my display port. I'm running bios version 84.04.1F.00.1F. I was going to see if I could create the problem on my end with mine.

When you cold boot the screen remains blank. If I hit the reset button it then boots fine. I'm on BIOS 84.04.2F.00.1F. They are connected to an Asus PB287Q 4k monitor. If I connect via HDMI it works fine, so its definitely a display port issue.

There are some thoughts it might be a driver issue but how can that be if it happens outside of Windows?

Both cards do it when installed separately, so it's not a bad card either. I don't think its the monitor as too many other people have reported it.

Appreciate you taking a look at this.

I'd also love to have a chance to get some backplates for my cards as well.

Mine works fine from either one. So it must be a issue with that bios then. I can save this bios with GPU-Z if you would like to get it. That way and email it or upload it for you. I assume you are running the 970 Gaming 4G edition like me. Unless Eugene would like to explain the difference and upload a older bios for you.

When you cold boot the screen remains blank. If I hit the reset button it then boots fine. I'm on BIOS 84.04.2F.00.1F. They are connected to an Asus PB287Q 4k monitor. If I connect via HDMI it works fine, so its definitely a display port issue.

There are some thoughts it might be a driver issue but how can that be if it happens outside of Windows?

Both cards do it when installed separately, so it's not a bad card either. I don't think its the monitor as too many other people have reported it.

Mine works fine from either one. So it must be a issue with that bios then. I can save this bios with GPU-Z if you would like to get it. That way and email it or upload it for you. I assume you are running the 970 Gaming 4G edition like me. Unless Eugene would like to explain the difference and upload a older bios for you.

Summoner, try out Killer's Bios in the meantime, while i see if i can find out more about your issue. My GTX970 gaming 4G at home does not have any issue with the display port either.

Still rocking my MSI Radeon HD 4830 in this Dell Dimension E520 rig. It's a BTX style motherboard, so everything flipped around / upside down from traditional ATX styles. Normally you would only be able to put a single slot video card in it:

2rf7pjs.jpg

But I sawed the dual slot mounting bracket in half (no video outputs on the top bracket, just a grill), and with the orb heatsink style, it actually makes fits in it quite nicely. Here's a pic of the card itself.

jp90y0.jpg

I've been eyeing the MSI GTX 760 ITX version since it's short and doesn't have any video outputs in the secondary bracket, so essentially half the bracket could be removed as well:

34sh2y9.jpg

Does MSI wanna lend me one? That would be awesome! :p

Last edited:

Hi, thanks for the offer. I'm happy to try it, I'll reply to your PM with my email address for the file.

Cheers

Everything was sent to you. Hopefully it sorts out your issue you had with your gpus. Always glad to help out where I can.

Hi, thanks for the offer. I'm happy to try it, I'll reply to your PM with my email address for the file.

Cheers

Thanks for sending it through - it worked! So, safe to say 84.04.2F.00.1F has a bug.

Appreciate your help Killer K. :)

Great to hear and you are now happy. I'm guessing it is some type of EDID Table issue then. Hopefully they will compare the two and roll out a new bios fix for everyone. Or post the older one for them to use to fix the issue.

* Now if I can get a couple of backplates.

I've been looking for a release date and MSRP for the MSI GTX 970 Gaming 100 ME. Is this information out yet?

Hey Eugene, I RMA'ed a GPU (660ti) and it was received by the RMA center on the 22nd of December, other than the initial email issuing the RMA there has been no contact and on your website it shows " in processing". Is this time frame normal? To me, the time frame here seems a bit excessive. What is the usual turn-around in this case? This is the first MSI RMA I've ever had to do, and your products up until this time has always been trouble free. P.S. So just to be accurate. Went back and reread the contact messages. The card was received by MSI on the 23rd Dec. not the 22nd Dec. and was inaccurate about the contacts. I received two communications. One when the RMA was issued and another when MSI received the card.

Last edited:
I've been looking for a release date and MSRP for the MSI GTX 970 Gaming 100 ME. Is this information out yet?

It should be released soon!

Hey Eugene, I RMA'ed a GPU (660ti) and it was received by the RMA center on the 22nd of December, other than the initial email issuing the RMA there has been no contact and on your website it shows " in processing". Is this time frame normal? To me, the time frame here seems a bit excessive. What is the usual turn-around in this case? This is the first MSI RMA I've ever had to do, and your products up until this time has always been trouble free.

Hey Sorry to hear that. Are you RMA'ing in the US? if you are, please PM me your RMA number and i can check for you. If you are in another region, you will need to talk to that specific regions RMA center and check. :)

What are MSI warranties like?
I am eyeing the MSI 290X to replace this Faulty XFX7970.

Hi Eugene,
I have an issue with my 780 Lightning that I want to ask you about. The "Lightning" illuminated logo on my card will not display the blue color. Green works fine at low/idle load and red works fine on heavy loads...but when it should display blue it doesn't illuminate at all until it hits a green or red load which results in a lot of annoying flickering. This is on the normal and ln2 bios with no overclock. Any ideas on what the issue might be or a possible fix? Thanks:)

Have you checked it in the LED Visualizer in the GeForce Experience control panel? You should be able to make it light up each color to test. Then apply the features you would like to make it do.

What are MSI warranties like?
I am eyeing the MSI 290X to replace this Faulty XFX7970.

MSI Warranties are great! We pride ourselves in having great customer support and fast turn around times.

Hi Eugene,
I have an issue with my 780 Lightning that I want to ask you about. The "Lightning" illuminated logo on my card will not display the blue color. Green works fine at low/idle load and red works fine on heavy loads...but when it should display blue it doesn't illuminate at all until it hits a green or red load which results in a lot of annoying flickering. This is on the normal and ln2 bios with no overclock. Any ideas on what the issue might be or a possible fix? Thanks:)

Not sure about this issue, if you cant find any solutions, please contact our customer support and see if they have any fixes and if not, you can RMA your card. :)

Why doesn't an MSI rep. spend any time on the Guru3D forums supporting and answering questions about Afterburner?

Hey Eugene,

I'll try repeating the question someone asked couple pages before.

Would it be possible to get a bit more detail on exactly what kind of heatsink is used on the GTX970 4GD5 (or 4GD5 OC). Are there any heat pipes in there? Is it the nVidia reference one only with the plastic shroud or the differences are more substantial? Pictures of the heatsink removed and/or without the shroud would be superb. I've pretty much figured out it's the GTX980 PCB with some slight modifications to power phases, now I only need to figure out if the cooler only looks different or it's actually different physically compared to a reference GTX980.

Thanks in advance!

MSI Warranties are great! We pride ourselves in having great customer support and fast turn around times.
Good because I think I will be going MSI after the terrible support from my current GPU Provider.

I would imagine because "Unwinder" is there to support his project. As he also does EVGA Precision also. He would have the answers where MSI wouldn't really be able to help with much or anything really. Beside maybe some specs, limits and safe and unsafe settings. As MSI and EVGA pay him to develop this software.

Why doesn't an MSI rep. spend any time on the Guru3D forums supporting and answering questions about Afterburner?

I would imagine because "Unwinder" is there to support his project. As he also does EVGA Precision also. He would have the answers where MSI wouldn't really be able to help with much or anything really. Beside maybe some specs, limits and safe and unsafe settings. As MSI and EVGA pay him to develop this software.

Unwinder and EVGA no longer work together for some time now (months) since EVGA screwed him over.

Unwinder clearly does not like the fact that MSI is absent as he has mentioned it often. The title of the forum is:

MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion forum This forum is intended for MSI customers for questions on the AfterBurner Overclock Utility based off Rivatuner. In this section the users help each other out with answers as well as support staff from MSI.

Hey Eugene,

I'll try repeating the question someone asked couple pages before.

Would it be possible to get a bit more detail on exactly what kind of heatsink is used on the GTX970 4GD5 (or 4GD5 OC). Are there any heat pipes in there? Is it the nVidia reference one only with the plastic shroud or the differences are more substantial? Pictures of the heatsink removed and/or without the shroud would be superb. I've pretty much figured out it's the GTX980 PCB with some slight modifications to power phases, now I only need to figure out if the cooler only looks different or it's actually different physically compared to a reference GTX980.

Thanks in advance!

It is different. The heatpipes are SuperSU heatpipes (SU due to the shape of it) :p

Hi Eugene,

Was surfing around and bumped into this . I'm particularly interested from there in the SLI Gaming bridge but can't find it anywhere for sale.

Can you help me out with a bit of info where I could get it from?

Currently, the SLI gaming bridge isnt for sale yet. We currently dont know exactly when we will have them available for sale, but stay tuned :)

Back