[Introduction] MSI Official Rep

If the 780 was oced its little to no upgrade at all. In fact depending on the speeds, the 780 could be faster in some games. And if you look at the 970 Gaming review here on hardocp it uses more power than the reference 780 if thats is what you had. So if your 780 was reference then the 970 Gaming will actually makes temps higher in your little case.
I don't know which review you read, but the on one [H] clearly states this 970 is a noticeable improvement in gaming performance over the 780. Not an overwhelming improvement, but a noticeable one. As far as temps, get to know the Corsair 250D ITX case. The Twin Frozr fans will blow heated air directly out the side grate. That's a plus in my book.

I don't know which review you read, but the on one [H] clearly states this 970 is a noticeable improvement in gaming performance over the 780. Not an overwhelming improvement, but a noticeable one. As far as temps, get to know the Corsair 250D ITX case. The Twin Frozr fans will blow heated air directly out the side grate. That's a plus in my book.
And the 780 was at stock clocks in the review here so that is why I said "if the 780 was oced".

Just wanted to check in on the [H] and see how the new 970/980 were treating everyone!

Unfortunately, no, we dont have any plans currently for an ITX version :(

what reasons are you looking for an ITX model?

Wow, that sucks, and will be very disappointing for many :( ..really do appreciate your candor, though.

Myself, and many others want small, powerful ITX cards.. for small, powerful ITX builds (crazy, right? ;)). My current ITX case will fit a full-size card, but I see no reason to purchase a 970 with a giant cooler slapped on a short PCB, when ZOTAC, Gigabyte and Inno3D have already shown that a small 970 is indeed possible. Plus, any future builds I do will be even smaller (maybe slap a full-size 980/990 in my M1, and the 970 ITX in an even smaller case).

Thanks anyway Eugene!

Nice try guys ;), unfortunately for me, there are a lot of things i'm not allowed to talk about on the boards, especially related to undisclosed or hypothetical products :D

I CAN say that a high-end small form factor board is in the works.
You can tell us. We can keep secrets. :cool:

Nice try guys ;), unfortunately for me, there are a lot of things i'm not allowed to talk about on the boards, especially related to undisclosed or hypothetical products :D

I CAN say that a high-end small form factor board is in the works.
Hey Eugene! Anxiously awaiting to see if MSI has an answer to this 970 at the ready..

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1838197
Unfortunately, no, we dont have any plans currently for an ITX version :(

what reasons are you looking for an ITX model?
Confirmed for ITX 980 :p

Hello. Please inform the MSI overlords, that their primary goal in life, is to release a 5k display that is either oled, or designed like the vizio reference series with advanced local dimming leds and supports high dynamic range, or at least an expanded color range. It needs to also have freesync support built in.

That is all.

Confirmed for ITX 980 :p

Yes! :D

Yeah, I completely forgot that Eugene said they were working on a "high-end SFF board" back in August. What the heck was that about, if they're not working on the 970?

Relaxing TIM on a GPU voids warranty like the small sticker on the screw? I've heard elsewhere.

My feedback to MSI for the 980 is fix the Displayport no signal issue and release a 980 compatible heat sink that comes with the vapor chamber seen on the previous gen.

can the MSI rep give us any timeframe as to when the 970 cards might be back in stock at Amazon?...seems like the MSI and Gigabyte 970 cards are much slower to restock then ASUS

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GTX-970-GAMING-4G/dp/B00NN0GEXQ/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_2

Running an MSI GTX970 Gaming that I ordered through Amazon using the [H] link. I had to wait 2 1/2 weeks for it to be in stock, then another 1/2 week for delivery.

It's in the rig and running beautifully.

I am very happy with my first MSI purchase.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
@Eugene Kuo
Sir how are you? you are very welcome here!
Just one thing I wanted to ask

When is the release date for the MSI GS30 Shadow that features an external GPU dock?

Alienware by Dell just announced their version from yesterday so I expect this time around, this model will be an actual product not a vaporware or prototype. So please tell us some clues regarding that GS30 Shadow Laptop. Thanks in advance

@Eugene Kuo
Sir how are you? you are very welcome here!
Just one thing I wanted to ask

When is the release date for the MSI GS30 Shadow that features an external GPU dock?

Alienware by Dell just announced their version from yesterday so I expect this time around, this model will be an actual product not a vaporware or prototype. So please tell us some clues regarding that GS30 Shadow Laptop. Thanks in advance

Unfortunately, i cant divulge too much info on the GS30, as it is still under NDA. Please stay tuned for more info though!

All I know about the GS30 is that I want one, if build quality is anything like my GT60 2OD I will be very happy... As well as having the rumored specs and a glorious 13" IPS panel :p

This is why I cannot understand why MSI didn't put a back plate on their video cards. I do know that humidity can cause these issues. Example different locations on the globe.

We know MSI has back plates but want to charge a premium to get them with the 970 GTX Gold Edition. Tell me why MSI didn't want to put back plates on it? Well EVGA now gives them free now when you get one with no back plate on it. Which is a good thing.

Hi Kuo, help me out with this 980 I received, it looks bent out of the box but is it made to look like that?

here is the pic, look at the left side of the card: http://gyazo.com/32216f0a5edecb5650892effc07da0f5

what should I do? RMA it thru MSI or replace it with Newegg?

card works fine though.

Hi,

I have an MSI Z97-G45 board and MSI 970GTX gaming. Ever since installing the GPU my PC wont boot unless I hit the reset button a couple of times.

Reading around the forums it seems like this is a common problem with the 970 cards. Are you aware of this and any suggestions on how to fix?

I'm running BIOS 2.5 on the motherboard and NV316MH.182 on the GPU. I had an MSI R280X in my PC previously and had no issues with booting.

Hi,

I have an MSI Z97-G45 board and MSI 970GTX gaming. Ever since installing the GPU my PC wont boot unless I hit the reset button a couple of times.

Reading around the forums it seems like this is a common problem with the 970 cards. Are you aware of this and any suggestions on how to fix?

I'm running BIOS 2.5 on the motherboard and NV316MH.182 on the GPU. I had an MSI R280X in my PC previously and had no issues with booting.

Hi Summoner,

What OS are you using? In the meantime, please reset your CMOS by removing the CMOS battery for 30 seconds with no power/powercord off as well.

Thanks,
Eugene

Hi, thanks for the reply.

its Win 8.1. Have tried the CMOS reset and no difference. Some people have suggested its a driver issue, which seems a bit odd since its when the PC is going through its boot sequence!

Hey Summoner, No problem.

I spoke with our tech guys, and i was informed that if the CMOS reset doesn't help, and the board has worked perfectly fine with other cards, there might be an issue with the card itself and you may need to RMA it. I haven't been aware of this exact issue. Can you send me some links to others who are having the same issue as well?

Hi Geno,

Some links are:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...-boot-past-bios-after-installing-new-gtx-970/

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/t/19601491

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=393612

Weirdly, It works fine if I put the PC into "sleep" mode or I hit the reset button immediately after booting. Some threads have thought it was an issue with displayport - I use that on my system as Im running a 4k monitor.

I just tried booting with HDMI and the problem goes away so that might have narrowed it down! Unfortunately, if I stick with HDMI Im restricted to 4k @ 30Hz.

Thanks again for investigating this.

Hey Eugene,

I recently built a computer using 2 MSI GTX 970's, one is the 'normal' Gaming 4G and the other is the Golden Edition.

Now, my situation is rather odd, so designers at MSI might never have seen it.

I used a typical ATX motherboard with 3 PCI-E X16 lanes (Gigabyte Z97x-UD5H as my example), and I was trying to install an Asus PCE-AC68u card between the top GPU and CPU, but I found the backplate on the Golden Edition actually preventing the AC68 from being installed properly, though the normal Gaming 4G worked without issues. Is that a generic backplate issue or can it be somehow improved upon by MSI?

Also, on the metal PCI covers on the Gaming 4G, there is a 90 degree bend in the metal with the words 'Dragon army' written on it, so I assue the bend has a function, but what does it actually do? I found that metal piece rather annoying as it was also stopping me from installing the AC68 directly UNDER the GPU...

Many thanks in advance!

Hi Geno,

Some links are:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...-boot-past-bios-after-installing-new-gtx-970/

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/t/19601491

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=393612

Weirdly, It works fine if I put the PC into "sleep" mode or I hit the reset button immediately after booting. Some threads have thought it was an issue with displayport - I use that on my system as Im running a 4k monitor.

I just tried booting with HDMI and the problem goes away so that might have narrowed it down! Unfortunately, if I stick with HDMI Im restricted to 4k @ 30Hz.

Thanks again for investigating this.

Thanks for the info, from what I've seen so far and discussing with some of my tech guys, it seems this issue lies on Nvidia's side. This issue isn't isolated to only MSI, and is seen across different manufacturers. Please be patient as i look further into it

Hey Eugene,

I recently built a computer using 2 MSI GTX 970's, one is the 'normal' Gaming 4G and the other is the Golden Edition.

Now, my situation is rather odd, so designers at MSI might never have seen it.

I used a typical ATX motherboard with 3 PCI-E X16 lanes (Gigabyte Z97x-UD5H as my example), and I was trying to install an Asus PCE-AC68u card between the top GPU and CPU, but I found the backplate on the Golden Edition actually preventing the AC68 from being installed properly, though the normal Gaming 4G worked without issues. Is that a generic backplate issue or can it be somehow improved upon by MSI?

Also, on the metal PCI covers on the Gaming 4G, there is a 90 degree bend in the metal with the words 'Dragon army' written on it, so I assue the bend has a function, but what does it actually do? I found that metal piece rather annoying as it was also stopping me from installing the AC68 directly UNDER the GPU...

Many thanks in advance!

By adding a backplate, you do add an extra thickness to the card that wasnt originally there, so you will run into issues if the slots are really tight. This will have to depend on the future cards if the backplate is designed to have a backplate to begin with.

as for the bend you are talking about, can you show me a picture of what you are specifically talking about?

Cheers!
Geno

Hi Eugene,

I have a little problem with a RMA that I received today, about a week ago I sent in my 280x Gaming 6Gb card because it was artifacting really bad. Got the replacement in today and while the service was amazing fast, I was sent a 280x Gaming 3Gb card instead. If needed I can provide serial numbers, RMA #'s and ect. Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi Eugene,

I have a little problem with a RMA that I received today, about a week ago I sent in my 280x Gaming 6Gb card because it was artifacting really bad. Got the replacement in today and while the service was amazing fast, I was sent a 280x Gaming 3Gb card instead. If needed I can provide serial numbers, RMA #'s and ect. Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Hey AciDeX,

i am sorry for the error. Please contact our RMA department and let them know your situation and that you received the wrong card. If you have any issues with it, please contact me and i will get it straightened out for you :D

http://service.msicomputer.com/msi_user/support/customerservice.aspx

Since my question didn't get a answer. I will try this once again. So we get no backplates for previous owners of GTX 970 and 980 owners? As we know MSI has them and it would be nice to get one now.

Since my question didn't get a answer. I will try this once again. So we get no backplates for previous owners of GTX 970 and 980 owners? As we know MSI has them and it would be nice to get one now.

It's probably because your last question wasn't worded that well. It read a bit callous and a bit demanding... Just a bit of a heads up for you.

My question was fine. He choose not to answer it. I need him to answer the question not you. Just a heads up for you.

It's probably because your last question wasn't worded that well. It read a bit callous and a bit demanding... Just a bit of a heads up for you.

You can just post a "roll your eyes" gif if you like. That was my second time asking. Not sure about you or even if you even have any input or own a MSI product. But some of us here do. So when I ask about a product I purchased and a item for it. I would like to get a answer. Not have to ask 2 or 3 more times after that.

Go bother another thread. Or do something productive.

Hi there, do you know if MSI is working on the SLI fix in terms of voltages?

I have two MSI 980's in SLI and one of the cards runs at lower voltage than the other, thanks.

You can just post a "roll your eyes" gif if you like. That was my second time asking. Not sure about you or even if you even have any input or own a MSI product. But some of us here do. So when I ask about a product I purchased and a item for it. I would like to get a answer. Not have to ask 2 or 3 more times after that.

Go bother another thread. Or do something productive.

Have you even asked your question in this thread? I don't see one anywhere.

If you could read, you would see I did ask a question and got an answer. With your attitude, its not a surprise you don't have the answer you seek.

I guess if YOU could read. You would see I asked it two times now. But heck let's just watch you be a total douche and put nothing in the pot over and over right? The thread isn't about you getting your question answered. It got answered but yet you are still here bothering other people trying to get help.

I'm trying not to get in infraction because of you being a douche. But I see no other way around it on my next post. You are just a sad person. Nothing to contribute here at all. So let me keep posting and being a douche attitude is nice. Hopefully it works out for you in the end.

Like I said, go bother another thread or do something productive.

Have you even asked your question in this thread? I don't see one anywhere.

If you could read, you would see I did ask a question and got an answer. With your attitude, its not a surprise you don't have the answer you seek.

Back