[Introduction] MSI Official Rep

Eugene Kuo

Official MSI Representative
Hey guys, Eugene here and I will be representing MSI for the HardOCP community. If you guys have any questions or concerns about our products, RMA issues, feedback/suggestions, or any events that we will be having, you can shoot them my way! Either PM me, or create a thread/post and I will respond to them.

Looking forward to being a part of this awesome community and helping out all the HardOCPers!

This is part of a response I received back in February 2014 from:

"MSI Service & Support Division"

" Our primary job is to provide tech support and customer service to our customers promptly and efficiently as we have already established the centralized operation in our facility, by extending this service through other websites will stretch our resources that may reduce our service quality therefore there’s no plan at all to implement. If any customer has an issue, just call us and it will be resolved, so in honesty, how much more service do you really need? "

I wasn't happy with that response. Hopefully the MSI Rep. here now will be helpful and less arrogant. Hopefully they will see that there is a value to open forums like [H]. Had they come up with a less arrogant response, I would have purchased 780 lightnings.

I haven't had MSI products give me any problems (had a 560ti TF SLI setup previously, recommended a TF 7950 for a friend's build), though I think I read forum reports of hit/miss quality when it came to service.

Hopefully with a rep on, that'll mean there's nothing to worry about.

^ ninja edit: Yeah, stuff like that.

I personally had pretty great support when I ran into an issue with my MSI X58 motherboard. Even though the product was long discontinued and X58 was EOL they sent me a beta BIOS to try and resolve the problem. I certainly haven't heard as many negative things about MSI's support as I have with ASUS. I've owned a number of MSI products over the years too and none have failed.

I might sound like a fan boy, but honestly I really like MSI products. Anyways, welcome to the forum.

well hello there mr. msi man!

65398_412753465457980_1051610004_n.jpg

^ Lol.

Hey Eugene, there was a rumor way back around CES'14 that you guys had plans for a 770 ITX (small one w/Radax cooler).. do you happen to know if that, or perhaps a similar 860/870 ITX will be coming any time soon?

(not that the 800-series actually exists.. but let's say that hypothetically there was such a thing and it was to launch next month, would you have an ITX version out around the same time.. or a year later? ;))

Hey Eugene,

I've been a long supporter on MSI, and I have 5 PCs running in my house using MSI mobos. I bought the z87 itx gaming and it's been the worst mobo I've ever owned which I find surprising as it's also the first "gaming" spec board I've ever purchased. I'm on my second RMA for the same problem and I'm really disappointed with the service for Canada.

You guys really need to start offering Advance RMAs in Canada, my first RMA took ~30 days and the second one probably wont be any faster. I can't remember that last time I wasn't able to get an Advance RMA, it's always been an option even if there was a shitty fee.

Hello.

I'm a MSI GPU customer for years. Excellent products! No problems.

I'm going to give your mainboards a go later this year I think, especially now that we have a Rep here.

Welcome.:D

Hi. When will we be hearing about MSI's graphene-infused superboards?

Thank you, everyone for welcoming to [H]!

" Our primary job is to provide tech support and customer service to our customers promptly and efficiently as we have already established the centralized operation in our facility, by extending this service through other websites will stretch our resources that may reduce our service quality therefore there’s no plan at all to implement. If any customer has an issue, just call us and it will be resolved, so in honesty, how much more service do you really need? "

I wasn't happy with that response. Hopefully the MSI Rep. here now will be helpful and less arrogant. Hopefully they will see that there is a value to open forums like [H]. Had they come up with a less arrogant response, I would have purchased 780 lightnings.

I am sorry to hear about this response from our staff, Goose. I am not sure what this was in response to, but this is definitely not how we want to treat our valued customers and end-users.

This is exactly why i am here. To help the community fix and resolve issues that they may have with our products and service as quickly as possible. I really hope that you not let this bad experience leave a sour taste in your mouth and do give our cards/boards a try in the future!

Hey Eugene,

I've been a long supporter on MSI, and I have 5 PCs running in my house using MSI mobos. I bought the z87 itx gaming and it's been the worst mobo I've ever owned which I find surprising as it's also the first "gaming" spec board I've ever purchased. I'm on my second RMA for the same problem and I'm really disappointed with the service for Canada.

You guys really need to start offering Advance RMAs in Canada, my first RMA took ~30 days and the second one probably wont be any faster. I can't remember that last time I wasn't able to get an Advance RMA, it's always been an option even if there was a shitty fee.

Hey Dephcon, sorry to hear about this issue in Canada. I will definitely relay this to our team up there and try to push for faster RMAs. In the meantime, if you have any issues with your 2nd RMA, please PM me your details and i try to contact the Canada team and see what is going on.

^ Lol.

Hey Eugene, there was a rumor way back around CES'14 that you guys had plans for a 770 ITX (small one w/Radax cooler).. do you happen to know if that, or perhaps a similar 860/870 ITX will be coming any time soon?

(not that the 800-series actually exists.. but let's say that hypothetically there was such a thing and it was to launch next month, would you have an ITX version out around the same time.. or a year later? ;))

Hi. When will we be hearing about MSI's graphene-infused superboards?

Nice try guys ;), unfortunately for me, there are a lot of things i'm not allowed to talk about on the boards, especially related to undisclosed or hypothetical products :D

I CAN say that a high-end small form factor board is in the works.

What was your request? It's hard to determine what's going on there without context. Seems like it was written by a non-English speaker (or just someone really shitty at expressing themselves through written words) and something might have gotten lost in "translation".

Serious question:

is MSI planning on any competing product against the Gigabyte BRIX and Intel NUC ?

:)

Welcome Gene. Your presence here makes me feel more open to buying MSI (I haven't had one of your products for years but have considered them multiple times)

What was your request? It's hard to determine what's going on there without context. Seems like it was written by a non-English speaker (or just someone really shitty at expressing themselves through written words) and something might have gotten lost in "translation".

My apologies, more context is needed. I was talking about the 780 lightning initially, and also why MSI was not 'out on the forums' like I expected them to be. And if they wanted to get a feeling on how there customer base liked/disliked their RMA process/cards/customer service etc. they needed to be 'out there' talking to their base.

This is the entire email:

" For our RMA process and warranty information, please kindly refer to the website below.
http://us.msi.com/service/warranty/
In-house turn-around time is typically less than a week.

We have a forum but it’s user to user without official support on there.
http://forum-en.msi.com/

For official technical support, we recommend that you give us a call directly at 626.271.1004, or you can submit a case over the website below.
http://us.msi.com/service/SupportIndex/

Our primary job is to provide tech support and customer service to our customers promptly and efficiently as we have already established the centralized operation in our facility, by extending this service through other websites will stretch our resources that may reduce our service quality therefore there’s no plan at all to implement. If any customer has an issue, just call us and it will be resolved, so in honesty, how much more service do you really need?

For N780 Lightning, we’ve released a performance BIOS which will match our competitor’s product and that’s the best we can do right now due to Nvidia Green Light compliance.
The BIOS is ready and can be sent to our customer if they provide a serial number.

Feel free to let us know if you have any questions, thank you for contacting MSI.

Sincerely,
MSI Service & Support Division "

Maybe the response was written by a non-English speaker and maybe something got 'lost in translation" All I'm saying is that the response, to me, was rude.

Serious question:

is MSI planning on any competing product against the Gigabyte BRIX and Intel NUC ?

:)

+1 ..I'd be very interested in something like that as well.

(EDIT: but NOT in something garish with bright red accents and dragon motifs! Could you possibly request that your product designers stop making such ugly design choices :))

Last edited:
Long time user and fan of MSI. ATM I don't have any MSI products in my case but I'm sure that will chance

Hi Eugene and welcome to the forums!

Quick questions on the MSI X99 XPower, which just came out:

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/X99S-XPOWER-AC.html#hero-overview

1. What are the Mosfets for the X99 XPower?

The X79 Big Bang XPower II shipped with:

- 20x R2J20655BNP
- up1618A PWM controller

Relating to the X99 XPower, my questions are:
- Do you know what Mosfets are on this motherboard? Are they still R2J20655BNP or did they change to IR3550?
- What is the part number for the controller?
- Do you know what the maximum current the "Super Ferrite Chokes are?

2. What is this about a delid die guard for the X99? Can the X99 be delidded despite being soldered?

031aee5e_dieguard.png

- 20x R2J20655BNP
- up1618A PWM controller

- Do you know what Mosfets are on this motherboard? Are they still R2J20655BNP or did they change to IR3550?

2. What is this about a delid die guard for the X99? Can the X99 be delidded despite being soldered?

031aee5e_dieguard.png

Hey Hyperion

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm going to have to get back to you on the specifics for your questions. (friday afternoon with labor day weekend, so alot of people are gone) look for a response next week probably Tuesday or Wednesday.!

Geno

Welcome to the [H] Eugene! I am still running a Z68A-GD65 motherboard and it has been my longest running motherboard and cpu combo thus far!

very nice to hear this, picked up my first msi product(z97-g45) been rock solid. glad to see some MSI love here on [H].

- 20x R2J20655BNP
- up1618A PWM controller

031aee5e_dieguard.png

Hey Hyperion, got some answers for your questions!

The IC MOSFET on X99S XPOWER is FDMF5823DC. You can read up on the datasheet here: https://www.fairchildsemi.com/datasheets/FD/FDMF5823DC.pdf

1) Do you know what the maximum current the "Super Ferrite Chokes are?
SFC: 45 A
MOS: 55 A

2) What is this about a delid die guard for the X99? Can the X99 be delidded despite being soldered?
X99S XPOWER will equipped with delid die guard. The concept is the same as for previous series.
http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/news/article.php?storyid=9603

hope this helps!:cool:

2) What is this about a delid die guard for the X99? Can the X99 be delidded despite being soldered?
X99S XPOWER will equipped with delid die guard. The concept is the same as for previous series.
http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/news/article.php?storyid=9603

hope this helps!:cool:

I think you missed the point of his question. Since LGA 2011-3 CPUs have the heatspreader soldered on (and not glued on), it's highly improbable that LGA 2011-3 CPUs can be delidded. Certainly, normal methods (like the razor blade depicted in the picture you posted) will not work.

You guys poping up everywhere. MSI Geno just joined Overclock.net too :p

You guys poping up everywhere. MSI Geno just joined Overclock.net too :p

yup! We are really trying to make sure our fans and supporters really get the attention they need, and we know how important it is to reach out to people who frequent the boards like [H] and Overclock.net. :)

I think you missed the point of his question. Since LGA 2011-3 CPUs have the heatspreader soldered on (and not glued on), it's highly improbable that LGA 2011-3 CPUs can be delidded. Certainly, normal methods (like the razor blade depicted in the picture you posted) will not work.
Get your pencil torch ready :cool:. Though with the move back to soldered TIM instead of paste, I don't think the reward would be worth the risk.

Thanks a lot Eugene. I really appreciate it.

This information will be quite useful for me for the upcoming build that I am planning next year.

Judging by the VRM design, this may be the most powerful board in general production. The others are generally centering around 8x IR 3550.

Oh and congratulations on the world records.

Edit:
people have been delidding intel chips that are soldered for a LONG time.

It's harder to do it though (owing to the solder), and the other question becomes, is it worth it temperature wise?

Otherwise, yep, it can be done.

Last edited:
Wondering if you can answer some questions -

1) What is the actual official policy on removal of GPU heatsinks (with regards to warranty)? Some (all?) MSI GPUs do have one of the tamper dot stickers on one of the heatsink screws.

2) Does MSI have 2 RMA service centers in Canada? One in Richmond, BC and another in Markham, Ontario? And do they both service all products (or more specifically GPU and motherboard)?

Wondering if you can answer some questions -

1) What is the actual official policy on removal of GPU heatsinks (with regards to warranty)? Some (all?) MSI GPUs do have one of the tamper dot stickers on one of the heatsink screws.

2) Does MSI have 2 RMA service centers in Canada? One in Richmond, BC and another in Markham, Ontario? And do they both service all products (or more specifically GPU and motherboard)?

Hi Limitedaccess!

1) Our official policy is we do not want customer to make any modifications to the heatsinks, now that being said we do unofficially allow customers to make these mods if they wish to do so and it will not void the warranty as long as they keep the original and if the card ever needs warranty service they send it back with the original heatsink back on

2) Yes we do, the Markham location is for all NB’s and AIO’s repairs. For VGA and MB depending on the location in Canada, we will send to either Markham or BC location

:cool:

Thanks for the response.

Wanted to confirm the RMA information (since, knock on wood, never had to use it) as I've had a preference due to the location (Richmond location is easily within driving) and have said used it as a benefit for ease of mind when recommending purchases as well.

Hey Eugene,

Now that the NDA is lifted and the cards are out, could you tell me how long I have to wait to get a tiny GTX 970 Gaming ITX card in my hands?

Even something slightly longer than your 760 ITX, but shorter than the new ZOTAC 970 standard would be very useful. 3 days ago would be perfect, thanks! :p

MSI has long been my pick for GPUs since they allow you to remove coolers as long as there is no physical damage to the card - and of course keeping the original cooler. It makes them a good choice for those looking to water cool their cards

Hey Eugene,

Now that the NDA is lifted and the cards are out, could you tell me how long I have to wait to get a tiny GTX 970 Gaming ITX card in my hands?

Even something slightly longer than your 760 ITX, but shorter than the new ZOTAC 970 standard would be very useful. 3 days ago would be perfect, thanks! :p

Hey AFD,

Unfortunately i have no news of any gtrx 970 ITX cards yet. If i do find out anything, you will be the first to know. Hopefully you can get one 3 days before then :D

Back