Introducing Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition

wut? Xbone is at 26 millon sold and the 360 sits at 86 million.
You can't seriously think that, right? I'm going to guess you look at vgcharts or something.

Month for month since launch the X1 was ahead of the 360 sales until June or July (as in compared to equal time frame of the 360 since it's launch). X1 is in the high 30s to mid 40s. You can also get an idea of this by number of live users.

Last edited:
Glad MS decided to do this. I'm totally done with consoles but I still thought the name was cool when I read about it a year or so ago. I really think that they and Sony should take a break from generational names(3/4/etc.) and at least try some marketing names. I don't feel it should be as extreme as Android or Apple but a little flavor could go a long way.

You can't seriously think that, right? I'm going to guess you look at vgcharts or something.

Month for month since launch the X1 was ahead of the 360 sales until June or July (as in compared to equal time frame of the 360 since it's launch). X1 is in the high 30s to mid 40s. You can also get an idea of this by number of live users.
Live users also include 360. If my numbers are bogus where are you getting yours? Sure it might be around 30 mil now since the numbers I found were for February but no where near 40.

Live users also include 360. If my numbers are bogus where are you getting yours? Sure it might be around 30 mil now since the numbers I found were for February but no where near 40.
Yes they include 360, but that's a smaller percentage.
The 27mil number came from some 3rd party estimation with no real data.

The first year X1 came out, when they were giving sales numbers they were at 10ish mil. After that they only started giving live numbers, but NPD still tracked somewhat and nearly every month it was a bit behind PS4, but not less then half. And there have been a few times when big games launched or when the S came out that X1 won for a month or two in a row. It's pretty basic math for the people that pay attention monthly. Yes PS4 may be over 60 which is great, but X1 isn't doing nearly as bad as some seem to think.

Number of live users went up about 30 million since X1 launch, and that counts 360, which no one has really been buying. So at least 25 of that has been X1, and it's estimated two thirds get on live. Which would be about 37 million consoles.

Plus the biggest clue is it just came out in June or July that X1 lost the lead over 360 in sales over time, and this time in 360s life it had just about 40 million sold.

Last edited:
Got one yesterday via Amazon. I set an alert for availability a few months ago and for the first time (ever) it actually sent me an e-mail before they sold out.
Looks like they're doing trade-ins for the original version of the Xbox One for $120'ish, so I'll probably just do that. I can't see getting much more on Craigslist with Xbox One S models being so cheap.

Normally I buy the various iterations of Sony PSxyz consoles - mostly out of a habit which started when Sony put in the 1st BluRay player in the pS3 - and which was the cheapest way for a movie-buff to get a BR player. But Sony seems to have forgotten my fan demographic and skipped giving us a 4K Bluray / 4K HDR Bluray in their latest gen console / the PS4Pro.

When I saw that the XBox One S had the drive I almost pulled the trigger on that until I heard that the XBox One X was about to come out. Today with [H] news actually giving pre-order click link, I knew it was an omen. MS now / will soon have a new XBox user.

Sorry Sony, but streaming movies ... in an age where 1) "Non-Net-Neutrality" is going to shit-can non-ISP favored services; 2) data caps and 3) reliable and fast internet being not always secure or guaranteed - I'll stick to my goofy physical media.

It's like they are testing how half-assed they can make a special edition. "precision" dots silk screened on? Oh look a logo, printed on. Microsoft perfects printing a green logo...

Given that this special edition costs the same as the regular edition - I don't mind the fact that "special" = different graphic on case.

Got one yesterday via Amazon. I set an alert for availability a few months ago and for the first time (ever) it actually sent me an e-mail before they sold out.
Looks like they're doing trade-ins for the original version of the Xbox One for $120'ish, so I'll probably just do that. I can't see getting much more on Craigslist with Xbox One S models being so cheap.
Please tell me your order status looks like mine, it would help to ease my conscious. I was going to go for Gamestop originally, but Amazon's page went up first.
Amazon, please don't fuck me over...
View attachment 34042

Please tell me your order status looks like mine, it would help to ease my conscious. I was going to go for Gamestop originally, but Amazon's page went up first.

Yup, mine looks like that, too. I put my order in pretty quickly, so I feel confident I got it in on time. I splurged the $3 for next-day shipping just so FedEx doesn't sit on it for an extra day like they're known to do :p

I put in an Amazon order first since the Microsoftstore one hadn't come up yet. Mine is essentially the same (viewing on mobile though). Ill be cancelling that order since I got it through mss anyway, so there is one more freed up!

In looking around at the Amazon trade-in options, they're actually paying more money for the non-Kinect version of the standard Xbox One. Talk about adding insult to injury.

I ended up pre-ordering mine in store at GameStop. I stopped by soon after GamesCon ended and pre-orders weren't up so I put in an order at Amazon then left to get food. Right after getting food I read on Twitter that GameStop pre-orders went live so I ate fast and made it back to my GameStop in time to put in a pre-order. There were only five left after me so they may be in limited supply. I cancelled the pre-order I had placed at Amazon since it wasn't needed anymore and I prefer to pre-order things in store.

I'll be really curious to see what developers choose to do with the extra horsepower. With the PS4 Pro, it's almost always 4K.
I really hope more developers latch on to the idea of 1080p/60. It doesn't translate very well in the YouTube era (YouTube interpolates everything to 60fps if you want), but I'd wager that more people can pick out 1080p/60 rather than 4K/30 vs. the default 1080p/30.

I don't expect every developer to go that route, but I'm hoping that at least more do. Rockstar, I'm looking right at you.

Sweet, got one. I'll decide later if I actually want to keep the order.

Gamestop is supposedly doing a trade-in deal, so that may be the better place to get it (for those who have another Xbox One they want to get rid of).

What does Gamestop give you? $40 off if you trade in your XBOX One?

It's like they are testing how half-assed they can make a special edition. "precision" dots silk screened on? Oh look a logo, printed on. Microsoft perfects printing a green logo...
Aww. Did your mommy not buy you one?

Normally I buy the various iterations of Sony PSxyz consoles - mostly out of a habit which started when Sony put in the 1st BluRay player in the pS3 - and which was the cheapest way for a movie-buff to get a BR player. But Sony seems to have forgotten my fan demographic and skipped giving us a 4K Bluray / 4K HDR Bluray in their latest gen console / the PS4Pro.

When I saw that the XBox One S had the drive I almost pulled the trigger on that until I heard that the XBox One X was about to come out. Today with [H] news actually giving pre-order click link, I knew it was an omen. MS now / will soon have a new XBox user.

Sorry Sony, but streaming movies ... in an age where 1) "Non-Net-Neutrality" is going to shit-can non-ISP favored services; 2) data caps and 3) reliable and fast internet being not always secure or guaranteed - I'll stick to my goofy physical media.

That really surprised me with the ps4 pro. I'm not sure what sony was thinking there. For a while the ps3 was one of the best blue ray players on the market as it was one of the first(if not the first) to be upgradeable since originally blueray didn't have the networking side included like hd dvd.

That really surprised me with the ps4 pro. I'm not sure what sony was thinking there. For a while the ps3 was one of the best blue ray players on the market as it was one of the first(if not the first) to be upgradeable since originally blueray didn't have the networking side included like hd dvd.
Sony corporate may have believed that it would have eaten into their standalone player business. But generally speaking, nobody really wants multiple devices if one can do it all.

Some people are guessing that Sony's surprise is a new portable ... if it's a new system - PS5 with an HDR 4k drive, I'd consider buying one. For me, if specs are comparable to the One X, I guess it's going to come down to price.

I can't imagine them doing anything THAT significant to the PS4 Pro hardware yet. It isn't even a year old. A 4K Blu-Ray player would be the only conceivable option. I think a VR bundle or games bundle is more likely. Maybe even some sort of exclusive. A portable is an interesting idea, but it's not like Sony has a great track record with portables...in spite of both of theirs being pretty damn awesome.

Yes they include 360, but that's a smaller percentage.
The 27mil number came from some 3rd party estimation with no real data.

The first year X1 came out, when they were giving sales numbers they were at 10ish mil. After that they only started giving live numbers, but NPD still tracked somewhat and nearly every month it was a bit behind PS4, but not less then half. And there have been a few times when big games launched or when the S came out that X1 won for a month or two in a row. It's pretty basic math for the people that pay attention monthly. Yes PS4 may be over 60 which is great, but X1 isn't doing nearly as bad as some seem to think.

Number of live users went up about 30 million since X1 launch, and that counts 360, which no one has really been buying. So at least 25 of that has been X1, and it's estimated two thirds get on live. Which would be about 37 million consoles.

Plus the biggest clue is it just came out in June or July that X1 lost the lead over 360 in sales over time, and this time in 360s life it had just about 40 million sold.

Besides, I have an XBox One, 360 and Windows 10 PC and one XBox Live Gold account for all of them.

Waiting for PS4 to answer now.

Sony will surely announce the new PS4 Pro Platinum soon, with 1% more GPU power and a shiny paint job. Then MS will reply with the Xbox One X Ludicrous edition, complete with plaid paint job.

j/k.... OR AM I :)

Console Peasants. You can't give people too much performance or too many bells and whistles because each costs money and when you've got two other major players all chipping away at your market share - Xbox isn't doing that good - Cutting costs and corners to get a product $50 or more is something they need to think about. It's why the SNES's console didn't include the FX chip (The chip that made Star Fox possible), but included the FX chip on each cartridge as needed on a game-by-game basis. It was to save costs despite being remarkably good.

Console Peasants? The ones that are bitching aren't the people buying them, it is the PC gamers here that would never buy a console. Xbox One at launch was $500, Xbox One X at launch is $500... I don't see the problem. Yes that put them off to a slower start but did not kill them outright. This time around they are going for higher performance so I would expect that price a little more than last time. Although last time was also because of the Kinect.

Introducing: The polished TURD! Pre-order now and get the limited edition!

Reactions: Sufu
like this
At a time consumers still cared about physical media and Netflix was still mostly a mail operation.

Last edited:
Console Peasants? The ones that are bitching aren't the people buying them, it is the PC gamers here that would never buy a console. Xbox One at launch was $500, Xbox One X at launch is $500... I don't see the problem. Yes that put them off to a slower start but did not kill them outright. This time around they are going for higher performance so I would expect that price a little more than last time. Although last time was also because of the Kinect.

Kinect? Ah yeah. I remember that camera. ...we don't speak it's name for it may return next generation. I'm not saying that Xbox Scorpio is going to kill Xbox Division. Not by a long shot. While they're definitely losing the market share race with Sony, they've also built quite a firm foundation to stand on for a long time. I'm saying that I've already heard that people consider X1X to be expensive. Yes, it's performance yield native 4K + HDR @ 60 fps. That alone is quite impressive. I don't know, I don't see it being a good seller especially if the games still work on non-pro consoles.

Kinect? Ah yeah. I remember that camera. ...we don't speak it's name for it may return next generation. I'm not saying that Xbox Scorpio is going to kill Xbox Division. Not by a long shot. While they're definitely losing the market share race with Sony, they've also built quite a firm foundation to stand on for a long time. I'm saying that I've already heard that people consider X1X to be expensive. Yes, it's performance yield native 4K + HDR @ 60 fps. That alone is quite impressive. I don't know, I don't see it being a good seller especially if the games still work on non-pro consoles.

Even without 4K you can still get better quality games at 1080p. Although at the same time again it isn't meant to replace the Xbox One. Microsoft doesn't expect it to do that. Just like the Pro didn't outright replace the PS4. They are looking at it just like PCs. Some people want a high end gaming pc, others want a basic gaming pc. Both can exist, same for consoles. You have the S for the average person, the X for those that want better. If you personally feel that $500 is too much, you aren't the market for it. Then again you probably also don't own a 4K or a larger TV. You also probably don't care about quality. To which as somebody that actually games on both a console and pc, the quality of the Xbox One as it stands today is just fine. So you aren't going to be hurting that much if you don't have the best version of either system. The PS4 and Xbox One both make for good gaming options for console gamers.

I still like the Kinect. If the Scorpio had a native port for one, I'd keep mine. When they killed the powered port, I took that as a sign, so I'm selling it. I have too many gadgets that need their own AC adapter as it is. I kinda like being able to bark orders at my machine, even if it's as simple as "Xbox - record that!" The games that used the motion functions were fun, too.

The problem with the Kinect is that it jacked the price up by $100 and the instant they made it optional, nobody supported the damn thing. Had MS kept the price down a bit more (even $50 less) we might all be using and enjoying it.

The Kinect was always going to be a gimmick though. First, it requires space, which you just can't guarantee people have. Yeah, some people have big rooms in their house or apartment. Other people (such as myself) barely have any pathways between rooms. Second, as you mentioned, the second you remove a device from being packaged, it will cease to be relevant in the long run. Activision and EA certainly aren't going to support it, at least not to the point of being just a fancy gimmick. They need their games to run on the PC and PS4 as well. That just leaves first party developers. And really, how many first party games came out on the Xbox One?

The Kinect was always going to be a gimmick though. First, it requires space, which you just can't guarantee people have. Yeah, some people have big rooms in their house or apartment. Other people (such as myself) barely have any pathways between rooms. Second, as you mentioned, the second you remove a device from being packaged, it will cease to be relevant in the long run. Activision and EA certainly aren't going to support it, at least not to the point of being just a fancy gimmick. They need their games to run on the PC and PS4 as well. That just leaves first party developers. And really, how many first party games came out on the Xbox One?

The lack of first party games is still MS's biggest issue overall. No amount of neat hardware can fix that unfortunately. EA supported voice functionality in some games for the original Kinect (like Mass Effect 3), so it wasn't totally unprecedented for outside devs to give it a shot. I still hope to see future iterations of the same idea, but I looks more like HoloLens will be MS's approach instead. Space shouldn't be an issue going that route.

Pre-ordered two of them. One off BestBuy and the other off Amazon. Planning to sell one on eBay on release day with free overnight shipping to pay for the one I plan to keep! :)

Pre-ordered two of them. One off BestBuy and the other off Amazon. Planning to sell one on eBay on release day with free overnight shipping to pay for the one I plan to keep! :)

You expect to sell one for $1100?

Wait, are you expecting to be able to sell it for twice the retail price?

Back