Introducing The LeanChair!

Sounds like a great idea, especially if the general public becomes convinced that sitting for extended periods is as harmful as select studies indicate. The tech industry in particular should back this project, with enthusiasm.

Looks like something designed for people with hemorrhoids.

And if you think that sitting for long periods of time is unhealthy, how about standing with your knees locked for long periods of time? Oops! That's not healthy either. Fact is, sitting is very comfortable, memory foam reduces pressure points, and no matter what you are doing you HAVE to get up and move around from time to time if you want to improve your health.

And if you really want to get healthy, then give me a reclined silent magnetic resistance bicycle chair, so I can peddle away while I'm on the web and burn some calories. :)

Im curious about the change in directional force at the ankle. Traditionally the leg is at that 90 degree angle to the foot. However, with now the users weight bearing at whatever angle diagonally through the ankle, what are the results?

Looks like something designed for people with hemorrhoids.

And if you think that sitting for long periods of time is unhealthy, how about standing with your knees locked for long periods of time? Oops! That's not healthy either. Fact is, sitting is very comfortable, memory foam reduces pressure points, and no matter what you are doing you HAVE to get up and move around from time to time if you want to improve your health.

And if you really want to get healthy, then give me a reclined silent magnetic resistance bicycle chair, so I can peddle away while I'm on the web and burn some calories. :)
the locked knees is what I focused in on too.

I used to peddle a recumbent bicycle while playing games. it wasnt as vigorous as an actual ride but it was better than nothing (even when I got distracted in tense moments and stopped).

Seems like a lazy attempt to cash in on concerns over the health issues for people who sit all day. I'd much rather have an adjustable height desk so I can change from sitting to standing through out the day rather than some idiotic "leaning chair" that has me stuck in the same position all day - again.

I like the idea. That one arm swing desk seems pretty flimsy though. Not for everyone, but if you have lower back problems and sitting is painful, and standing all day sucks, this could be interesting. I have my chair leaned back 80% of the time personally.

Now queue in the study to see what happens if you accidentally fall asleep while in the leanchair and what kind of permanent injury happens as you crumble to the floor and crack your head/neck on something.

I think the thing is to change your posture frequently, and this could be part of that mix, along with the standing workstation and the big pilates ball.

Mix it up people, THAT is good for you!

Im curious about the change in directional force at the ankle.
The foot platform is 90 degrees to the leaning surface. Some early prototypes were not, but of course that was not ideal so they fixed it.

Now I want to see a version with motorized wheels!

I predict that about 10 minutes after they start selling this a study that shows that leaning for extended periods is even less healthy than sitting or standing. Seriously, this is not based on any solid science and they haven't done any long-term testing.

I predict that about 10 minutes after they start selling this a study that shows that leaning for extended periods is even less healthy than sitting or standing. Seriously, this is not based on any solid science and they haven't done any long-term testing.
And laying down for prolonged periods on your back creates bedsores... and finally people will realize they should just take a 5 min break every 30 mins to grab a glass of water and stretch or do the helicopter with your weiner or whatever, as long as you are moving around a bit.

People trying to get way too creative... its like those torture kneeling chairs they made us use in Germany, because of some stupid study. Ended up just making my knees hurt.

The whole point of standing over sitting is that your heart works more in that situation and therefore you're healthier for it.

This seems like it would simply negate a lot of the benefits by allowing you to take the load off with the lean angle.

Doesn't look like your posture would be ideal in this
That's what I was thinking, every one of those people who were actually looking a monitor/etc, had their head craned forward a bit. So sure the "deadly" sitting issue (wtf seriously?) is solved, unfortunately chronic neck/spine pain is in your future.

Hmm... why 25% of your body weight?

The thought I've been having is what is scientifically optimal? And still, the recommendations come that if you use a standing desk you should spend half of your work day sitting and half of your work day standing.

I have seen stuff like this as well as many alternative seating devices. You know the problem with almost all of them is that almost no one is willing to bank it all on one system. And nobody has room at their desk or cubicle for 3 different chairs especially when they get this big. The solution would be when make a good convertible chair that easily manages to do 2- 3 of these jobs in a single device. And the key word is easily because I see lots of people who have those adjustable desks and they usually just give up and leave it tall or keep it low and don't bother flipping it back and forth.

No way. TERRIBLE body posture.

Think about those idiots who drive around with their seat leaned ALLLLL the way back.

You basically need to crank your head forward to have proper viewing angle.

That and this "chair" more or less requires you to lock your knees.

GREAT recipe for making yourself pass out. Ask any former military members.

And laying down for prolonged periods on your back creates bedsores... and finally people will realize they should just take a 5 min break every 30 mins to grab a glass of water and stretch or do the helicopter with your weiner or whatever, as long as you are moving around a bit.

People trying to get way too creative... its like those torture kneeling chairs they made us use in Germany, because of some stupid study. Ended up just making my knees hurt.

They're good for your back. I don't recall any pain when I used one, but it's been decades sense I've seen one.

The locked knees comment on the first page is pretty relevant here.

As a former personal trainer that focused heavily on posture and posture correction - I can affirm that this would be horrible for posture. Notice how the head needs to constantly protrude forward to remain level with what would be the monitor. This would cause your head and neck to position themselves anteriorly over time causing what is commonly referred to as a "hunch back". This also happens when people sit in office chairs and lean back for the majority of the time.

Plus the purpose of standing over sitting is to activate your core and leg muscles. If the top of your body is laying along a pad like that then your core is hardly activated. Your leg muscles are also used much less as your body is basically being artificially "balanced". Cool concept, but impractical.

I'll just get up to stretch and walk around every so often. For the same reasons I hate the idea of the "standing desk" I hate this. The last thing I want is to be forced to be on my feet most of my work day. How about letting me decide how often I need to get up? Just because some people are fat morons doesn't mean all of us are.

They need to add a function to turn it back to a chair. Otherwise, I don't see this selling much.

The lack of health info on this was what stood out to me most.

It seems like it would be cool if it didn't end up crippling you long term, though...

I see a lot of people passing out because they locked their knees while standing in it.

Apparently I'm not the only one that thinks so.

Innovations in chairs are kind of a moot point if the way we interact with the devices on the desks these chairs are sitting in front of aren't also revolutionized. As long as we need to type on a keyboard and click with a mouse, sitting at a desk is probably going to be the way of things.

B520%20-%20White%20Star%20Bunk%20Room.jpg

Menbari bed? :D

This is going to be horrible for people's necks. You already develop forward head posture in a chair, with this thing you're in forward head posture city.

Between this and the crossfit craze, you come out looking like a genius if you got your doctorate in Physical Therapy.

Now that my knees are worn out, and have varicose veins as well so I should keep my legs elevated whenever not walking around, a 'standing' chair? No thanks. Right now, I do most of my keyboard and desk work on an inclined desk while in a recliner; both are on wheels, I simply roll the desk and everything on it to the side, get up and walk around for what's necessary. Then come back, push the leg rest up, and swivel the desk back in place. Works for me.

in other words... they need to make a version to support Muricans

The biggest person who've used it was 325 per the site so most people should be fine. if you are bigger than that you probably weren't using office chairs anyways.

so now instead of pain from sitting you get pain from being on your feet all day...

Back