Introducing The $1,000,000 Speaker

You know... It's scary enough that it's true.

I didn't realize our national debt was 12T... I mean, that's insane. Our deficit is basically how much we add to that each year. So this year's projected is going to be what, 2T?

It's ridiculous. We need to pass legislation ASAP that you can only spend what we had coming in the previous year or something... Because this spending has gotten out of hand.
Yep, it's crazy. I don't want to get too off topic (I realize I started it on the Obama comment, LOL) but I have a feeling "we ain't seen nothing yet". National health care will not be cheap to say the least. :(

Yep, it's crazy. I don't want to get too off topic (I realize I started it on the Obama comment, LOL) but I have a feeling "we ain't seen nothing yet". National health care will not be cheap to say the least. :(

Meh, I'm not pointing fingers at really anyone (just that Obama's been the worst spender so far), but we haven't had a surplus in the deficit since something like 1969... Every Continental Congress since then is to blame for spending more than we gained.

This isn't something any single president can fix, regardless of what Obama tells you. Cutting the deficit is the first step, but it won't cure our debt. We really need an amendment to limit spending power across the board.

120 Trillion? LOL, our debt is high, but not that high. Take a zero off and you'd be about right ;)

You are correct.

1 Trillion = 1,000 Billion = 10,000 Million

12 Trillion = 12,000 Million

12,000 of these speakers to Dubai - That actually sounds pretty doable lol

Meh, I'm not pointing fingers at really anyone (just that Obama's been the worst spender so far), but we haven't had a surplus in the deficit since something like 1969... Every Continental Congress since then is to blame for spending more than we gained.

This isn't something any single president can fix, regardless of what Obama tells you. Cutting the deficit is the first step, but it won't cure our debt. We really need an amendment to limit spending power across the board.

Amen to that... PAYGO should be in the constitution or something. They are bankrupting the country.

3.91 Billion a day since Sept of 2007 ... 4B a freakin DAY damn... ZOIKS

Looks at this http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

I laugh whenever I hear someone's car rattling to pieces because of its bass. I have to assume it doesn't sound that bad inside the car.

I love bass, but it has to be balanced with the other freqs.

Overdone bass is crap. People in general seem to love crap, but its still crap. :)

Ideally, a sound system will be properly balanced and as sonically "flat" as possible, the point being to reproduce the recording as faithfully and accurately across the entire range of frequencies as possible. You don't want to overdrive the bass on the equipment, you want the bass to come across as the artist or sound engineer intended it (whether it is big or small, and the same goes for high frequencies, midrange, etc).

Where you really spend the big bucks on audio equipment is to get this level of accurate reproduction even when you crank the volume up. The result is high fidelity without distortion.

I would rather have:

1. Wilson Sophia $30,000 per pair:
http://www.wilsonaudio.com/sasha/
Sasha.jpg

2. Bowers and Wilkins N800D ($20,000?)
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=1159&sc=hf
800D_l2_w817_h328_1.jpg

Sorry, those aren't the Sophias. Those are actually the new Sashas which is the latest version of a somewhat famous line of speakers called the "Watt Puppy"

When the ONLY concern is lots of bass? Yes, lots of bass = good, is a bad opinion.

Holy shit I'm tired of arguing with you over such piddly nonsense. Welcome to the iggy list.

Oh noes someone challenges my retarded pompousness! Let me ignore them!

I laugh whenever I hear someone's car rattling to pieces because of its bass. I have to assume it doesn't sound that bad inside the car.

I love bass, but it has to be balanced with the other freqs.

Do you really think people with rattling cars have the money to purchase speakers for every range of frequency? Bass is what they want. Bass has the most immediate impact both personally and outwardly. Bass is what they purchased. Just because you sneer at them from outside while they enjoy the actual makeup of their audio system on the inside doesn't mean they are going to give a shit about how high you stick your nose up at them.

You know... It's scary enough that it's true.

I didn't realize our national debt was 12T... I mean, that's insane. Our deficit is basically how much we add to that each year. So this year's projected is going to be what, 2T?

It's ridiculous. We need to pass legislation ASAP that you can only spend what we had coming in the previous year or something... Because this spending has gotten out of hand.

Easy to bitch and moan when the lame duck on the way out already started handing out free money money during the wars and during the last days of his presidency all because his administration sat around with thumbs up their asses while shit went out of control in the financial sector under their watch.

Fuck yea let spend war money and other bullshit money but fuck those people who need to live and be healthy. Not like a healthy populace is any sort of benefit to everyone, anyways.

Meh, I'm not pointing fingers at really anyone (just that Obama's been the worst spender so far)

Yes, let us ignore the unaccounted war spending and completely ignore the first round of "financial bailouts" that preceded the complete mess that someone didn't even have to deal with after passing the buck.

Do you really think people with rattling cars have the money to purchase speakers for every range of frequency? Bass is what they want. Bass has the most immediate impact both personally and outwardly. Bass is what they purchased. Just because you sneer at them from outside while they enjoy the actual makeup of their audio system on the inside doesn't mean they are going to give a shit about how high you stick your nose up at them.
I don't give a shit about them not giving a shit. Why do you care?

For homw theater use, they'd be an absolute waste of money. THX 2 Ultra is pretty much the golden standard for home theater, and these aren't certified. Heck, many audiophile speakers fail to deliver the goods, often having far less than flat tonality. Speakers should be as neutral as possible, to make the sound as close to the recording as possible.

Once you experience a home theater with ruler-flat speakers, it's hard to want to use anything else.

I would rather have:

2. Bowers and Wilkins N800D ($20,000?)
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=1159&sc=hf
800D_l2_w817_h328_1.jpg

The 800D or the 802D are my dream speakers. I currently own a set of B&W CM series speakers (CM7, CM1, CM center, SW CM10) and if I wasn't in a condo I'd totally go bigger. :)

I'd probably go with an 802D pair mainly for power requirements, you can easily drive those with 320W-500W, while you would want to push closer to 1000W per channel (my lord) with the 800D. That and I figure I could reach the bass frequencies of the 800D by pairing the 802D with a good sub. The midrange driver and the tweeter on both speakers are exactly the same, the only difference are the woofers (and about $10000 per pair plus the extra amplification you'd need :eek:).

But I guess if money was no object then driving a pair of 800D speakers with big monoblocks wouldn't really be an issue either. :)

If money were no object I would rather have the new Wilson Sashas. They are quite a bit better than the 802D I think.

I have both the 804 and the 802S (not the diamond version). Incredible speakers all.

You should try this if your dealer has both pairs on display.

A few months back I did an A/B comparison between the 803D and the 803S with some music I brought in. The difference was unbelievable, its almost unfair that the only difference in model numbers is a single letter. Again, you should try it out, I'm not sure if its just the tweeter or the extra bass driver or what, but I was not expecting such a night and day difference.

And yeah, the Wilsons are super nice (listened to the MAXX once, ridiculous), they're just expensive as hell. :)

PS - Nice set you have, again, wish I had the space and lack of neighbors to rock a set like that. :)

I don't give a shit about them not giving a shit. Why do you care?

Because people on forums acting hoity toity about shit makes me roll my eyes harder than just about anything else, especially when those people get off on feeling superior to others about stupid and inane shit like audio choices. It just screams of narcissism or self conscious issues, which I will gladly try to destroy/exacerbate out of spite.

Saying you prefer better quality is one thing and discussing the differences in audio equipment is always interesting, but circlejerking about how stupid teenagers are because they don't care about your audio preferences is the epitome of empty self image boosting.

I realize this doesn't necessarily apply to you and I may have misread your earlier posts intention, but your post followed TechieSooners charade of what is described above, so I suppose I responded to your enabling him.

You should try this if your dealer has both pairs on display.

A few months back I did an A/B comparison between the 803D and the 803S with some music I brought in. The difference was unbelievable, its almost unfair that the only difference in model numbers is a single letter. Again, you should try it out, I'm not sure if its just the tweeter or the extra bass driver or what, but I was not expecting such a night and day difference.

And yeah, the Wilsons are super nice (listened to the MAXX once, ridiculous), they're just expensive as hell. :)

803D is an awesome speaker. Probably in some ways better than my 802S. The diamond series is a big step up. The 803D is a totally different speaker than the 803S.

803D is an awesome speaker. Probably in some ways better than my 802S. The diamond series is a big step up. The 803D is a totally different speaker than the 803S.

I have heard from several people that the 803D is preferable to the 802S. Its remarkable how much B&W have managed to improve their speakers in the last few years. Its deceptive how different the 803D is from the 803S just based on the naming scheme they're using. I'd have never have guessed it without A/Bing it myself.

Back to my "junky" CMs :)

Because people on forums acting hoity toity about shit makes me roll my eyes harder than just about anything else, especially when those people get off on feeling superior to others about stupid and inane shit like audio choices. It just screams of narcissism or self conscious issues, which I will gladly try to destroy/exacerbate out of spite.
So even you admit it's stupid and inane, but yet you roll your eyes about it? Are you someone who has car-rattling bass? I don't get off on feeling superior, but based on your "eye-rolling" it seems that you do. People install bass that makes all their panels vibrate against each other. It's funny. I even said I hope it sounds better inside than it does outside.

Saying you prefer better quality is one thing and discussing the differences in audio equipment is always interesting, but circlejerking about how stupid teenagers are because they don't care about your audio preferences is the epitome of empty self image boosting.
Is it circlejerking when I made one post about it? I didn't even mention teenagers. I never even mentioned what my audio preferences are.

I realize this doesn't necessarily apply to you and I may have misread your earlier posts intention, but your post followed TechieSooners charade of what is described above, so I suppose I responded to your enabling him.
What you don't realize is that you're actually the one who's being "hoity toity."

So even you admit it's stupid and inane, but yet you roll your eyes about it? Are you someone who has car-rattling bass? I don't get off on feeling superior, but based on your "eye-rolling" it seems that you do. People install bass that makes all their panels vibrate against each other. It's funny. I even said I hope it sounds better inside than it does outside.
I get off on being objective ;)

Is it circlejerking when I made one post about it? I didn't even mention teenagers. I never even mentioned what my audio preferences are.

Ahem...

What you don't realize is that you're actually the one who's being "hoity toity."
Hahaha don't get butthurt. Saying "NO U" when it doesn't even apply in the reverse just makes you look silly.

I get off on being objective ;)
Where exactly were you objective? Seems to me you get off on being subjective.

Hahaha don't get butthurt. Saying "NO U" when it doesn't even apply in the reverse just makes you look silly.
Saying it doesn't apply when it does makes you look silly. You think you can drive through a crowd slinging accusations and shed off anything that comes back at you? And I'm the one with a superiority complex? You embarked on a needless tirade against pretentiousness that wasn't there. All you did was confirm that you're the pretentious one. It's riddled throughout this thread. People can do what they want with audio. It's not my money or my car. People have different tastes. If you seemingly realized your diatribe didn't quite apply to me, you shouldn't have quoted me. The only person I'm enabling is you.

Next time I post, I'll be sure to ask your permission, as well as for your objective perspective.

Where exactly were you objective? Seems to me you get off on being subjective.
Fallacious reasoning makes the sky look pink, as well.

Saying it doesn't apply when it does makes you look silly. You think you can drive through a crowd slinging accusations and shed off anything that comes back at you? And I'm the one with a superiority complex? You embarked on a needless tirade against pretentiousness that wasn't there.
I think I mentioned more than once that you weren't the target of that accusation. Is he your boyfriend or something?

All you did was confirm that you're the pretentious one. It's riddled throughout this thread.
Yes, I'm SOOO pretentious that I called out another for being pretentious. How does that work, again?

People can do what they want with audio. It's not my money or my car. People have different tastes. If you seemingly realized your diatribe didn't quite apply to me, you shouldn't have quoted me. The only person I'm enabling is you.
You asked me, "I don't give a shit about them not giving a shit. Why do you care?" I then proceeded to tell you exactly about the earlier high horses being ridden in the thread. No need to continue being defensive over something that wasn't even directed at you, when you are the one who asked for an explanation, and you were already clarified of the intention.

Next time I post, I'll be sure to ask your permission, as well as for your objective perspective.
Just don't go around throwing out baseless accusations and implying others are lesser than you and I have no issues with it.

:D

That's what's always driven me nuts about the little punks around town that pack as much bass into their little cars as possible... They might say they do it for "good" sound but sheesh, only thing you appreciate at that point is over driven bass and loud music.

Whenever someone I know (I had a 15 year old ask me once) about spending some money to deck his out, I was asking him what his point was. He said for better sound.
"For good QUALITY sound, or just alot of bass?" "Ummm... Just alot of bass".

Most people seem to think alot of loud bass equates sound quality but it doesn't.
Tell me again that this isn't seething with pretentiousness. I dare you :rolleyes:

Fallacious reasoning makes the sky look pink, as well.
Gibberish is all you have then?

I think I mentioned more than once that you weren't the target of that accusation. Is he your boyfriend or something?
Yet I was quoted. You can't back out of it.

Yes, I'm SOOO pretentious that I called out another for being pretentious. How does that work, again?
It's unfolding right before our eyes.

Sure, it was pretentious of me to call you pretentious, but I haven't been pissing all over this thread from a hallucinated pedestal.

You asked me, "I don't give a shit about them not giving a shit. Why do you care?" I then proceeded to tell you exactly about the earlier high horses being ridden in the thread. No need to continue being defensive over something that wasn't even directed at you, when you are the one who asked for an explanation, and you were already clarified of the intention.
Not directed at me, yet I was quoted. In fact, you addressed me yet again at the end of your post.

Just don't go around throwing out baseless accusations and implying others are lesser than you and I have no issues with it.
I don't care about your issues. They reach far beyond what's been witnessed here. The baseless accusations began with you. I mention that car-rattling bass is funny, and you have a conniption, claiming I have a superiority complex and expect everyone to confine to my tastes.

Tell me again that this isn't seething with pretentiousness. I dare you :rolleyes:
If you're referring to your own words, it is seething with pretentiousness. For some reason you're equating me with your own personality traits.

Ok, let's derail this horrible thread...

BLACKSTONE - Do you have pics of your HT setup? :)

Gibberish is all you have then?
You called me subjective, when I was in fact objective and you based it on mythical absence of subjectivity. Sounds like a fallacy, like I said. You can subjectively be motivated to make objective call-outs, you know? Funny how that works ;)
Yet I was quoted. You can't back out of it.
Follow closely. Are you with me? Ok, here we go (again).
I. Was. Talking. In. General. And. Not. Specifically. About. You. And. I. Already. Told. You. I. Misconstrued. Your. First. Post. Are. You. Understanding. Yet? Or are you going to ask me once again about why I quoted you? (Hint: The "you"s in the second post are ambiguous and don't even reference you, which I explained in that very post :rolleyes: and even specifically said, "TechieSooners charade of what is described above".)
It's unfolding right before our eyes.
Besides the point now. I was the antithesis of pretentious before you beckoned it, that pretentiousness being for purely patronizing purposes now. "Now" being irrelevant to the original post, which I referred to, where I wasn't being pretentious. Lets focus, shall we?
Sure, it was pretentious of me to call you pretentious, but I haven't been pissing all over this thread from a hallucinated pedestal.
If I'm not mistaken, you're the one who continues to play this circular game after I already explained my misquote of you earlier, yet you continue to repetitively go back to it:rolleyes:
Not directed at me, yet I was quoted. In fact, you addressed me yet again at the end of your post.
Right round baby right round, like a record baby!.
I don't care about your issues. They reach far beyond what's been witnessed here. The baseless accusations began with you. I mention that car-rattling bass is funny, and you have a conniption, claiming I have a superiority complex and expect everyone to confine to my tastes.
Are you done twisting my words? I already told you in the previous post that I misread your meaning. Of course, feel free to disregard that fact yet again, as though it furthers whatever game your're pushing here. But for the sake of everyone, spare this thread of further derailing by actually reading where I've already explained this multiple times before.
If you're referring to your own words, it is seething with pretentiousness. For some reason you're equating me with your own personality traits.
Hey, Pot. My name is Kettle. Strangely enough, it was "Kristofff" before you felt compelled to drag on an already (repeatedly) resolved misunderstanding.

I apologize to everyone else that these walls of text are needlessly being thrown back and forth after everything has already been elaborated upon, ad nauseum.

^ I'm a Bush fan (at least compared to Obama, by a longshot), and I admit that was funny. :D

wonder what kind of receiver is needed to power $1 mil speakers.

in that case wonder what kind of wires are needed for a $2 mil speaker setup, or $6 mil for for 5.1 setup.

Back