Intersting Wii Rumor (Star Wars?)

althought certain aspects of the wii controller appeal to me, i'm far too old for a "lightsaber battle"

michealo said:
althought certain aspects of the wii controller appeal to me, i'm far too old for a "lightsaber battle"
You're never too old to play with your Wii.

Rofl-Mic-Lofl said:
I think the lightsabre battles would be Great fun with some friends IRL.

I'd imagine that that would work better online. Or on 2 different tvs. Imagine force powers with the nunchaku. Pulling people towards you or pushing them away.

The concept warms my soul, but it will require very well thought out implementation.

Baredor said:
The concept warms my soul, but it will require very well thought out implementation.
Aye, and I doubt they'll be able to pull it off in the first generation. Much like how the first gen DS games didn't have very good touch screen implementation.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan, but after the first initial 20-30 minutes.. you won't see me prancing in front of the TV swinging my fake lightsaber around for long periods of time. Its kinda ... well... pathetic ... fun yes, but pathetic for a grown man :(

theNoid said:
I'm a huge Star Wars fan, but after the first initial 20-30 minutes.. you won't see me prancing in front of the TV swinging my fake lightsaber around for long periods of time. Its kinda ... well... pathetic ... fun yes, but pathetic for a grown man :(

Then your not a true gamer. Get lost and go knit or something!!

j/k :cool:

Yes, it's SO much less pathetic to control a lightsaber (or a blaster/gun) by fiddling with a little stick and some buttons. :rolleyes:

This, and many other reasons why Wii is one of the first systems I've been actually excited about in recent years since gameboy color haha. I've owned everything since the mid 80s, and I do mean everything, except the 360 - but after everything I'm still sitting with my gameboy, gamecube, and emulated nes and snes games most often. Nintendo ftw!

If it's true, the rest of the article talking about developers gravitating to the Wii due to developement costs doesn't suprise me in the least.

I seem to remember some activision Exec. going on the record as saying they expected to be able to develop a title on the Wii faster and for less than half the cost of a PS3 dev cycle.

theNoid said:

The thought of this is very interesting, but I want to see how well it is implemented. However, what's going to happen when the controllers start flying, hitting stuff, and breaking stuff? The success of something like this will depend completely on how well it works out.

one other thing, i'm expecting probably the first 8 or so months of wii titles featuring sword fighting to feel clunky as all fuck.

What i think is gonna hapen is that, due to the low cost of developement, some indy team is gonna get their hands on a dev kit and mess with it until they create a sword fighting program so perfect they get bought up by a mega publisher and they steal the tech.

thank god SOE isn't in charge of it, after what they did with Star Wars: Galaxies, I can see why LucasArts isn't a Sony fan anymore

junehhan said:
The thought of this is very interesting, but I want to see how well it is implemented. However, what's going to happen when the controllers start flying, hitting stuff, and breaking stuff? The success of something like this will depend completely on how well it works out.
Why would the controllers start flying and hittring things

the controllers have a sensitivity option, you can set it so u can do MASSIVE swings, or small wrist movements.

it is not like you have to clear a 10f radius around you when playing say a golf game.

Why would controllers fly? These things include sensitivity adjustment and a wrist strap... honestly... A TRUE represantation of a lightsaber game (i mean, sounds coming out of the controller?!!!) is finally rumoured to be in development and of course fans of other single consoles decide that it doesn't interest them... Did Luke look like a retard waving his arms around with a lightsaber, too?

Who the hell said that fans of other consoles arn't interested in this game? I am highly interested and am wondering how the controller is going to work. I'm just afraid to have friends over, especially if they've had a drink or two because things can start flying whenever use of motion is involved with the controller. Depending on how fast paced the action is, and how much movement is involved, I can see people easily losing grip of the controller sending it flying into something. As an X360 fan-boy, I am highly interested in the Wii as it brings something new to the table, with a different possible style of gameplay. I just have my concerns.

I dont think it will be that easy to lose your grip on the wii-mote, it looks very small and contured to your hand. You would have to let go for it to fly. :p

All the talk about "flying wimotes" is so silly. There are already plenty of people who throw their arms around while playing video games; The only difference, is that now the consol will know they are doing it. Now just wait until it can hear people curse about the game cheating them.

[T5K]thrasher said:
I dont think it will be that easy to lose your grip on the wii-mote, it looks very small and contured to your hand. You would have to let go for it to fly. :p

I hope you are right :)

Actually, I wouldn't mind some future games that feature simple voice recongnition. I know voice recognition technology isn't as exact as we would like at the price point for this market, but it could be very interesting.

Hopefully they make a fps / lightsaber game with teh wii controller, it'll be sweet to have surround sound on + full lightsaber noises coming out of the controller speaker.

vortexpud said:
Yes, it's SO much less pathetic to control a lightsaber (or a blaster/gun) by fiddling with a little stick and some buttons. :rolleyes:

Lets put it this way....

a hot girl walks by your house and sees you sitting on the couch playing a videogame....big deal, every guy does it.

or...

a hot girl walks by your house and sees you swinging your controller around like a crazy man

Circuitbreaker8 said:
Lets put it this way....

a hot girl walks by your house and sees you sitting on the couch playing a videogame....big deal, every guy does it.

or...

a hot girl walks by your house and sees you swinging your controller around like a crazy man

Scenario A: The girl keeps walking and says "Oh he's just playing his videogame".

Scenario B: The girls says... "What is that? Lemme try!"

junehhan said:
I hope you are right :)

Actually, I wouldn't mind some future games that feature simple voice recongnition. I know voice recognition technology isn't as exact as we would like at the price point for this market, but it could be very interesting.
mario party 6/7 has decent voice recognition, and it insites some of the most fun rounds when a mic mini game comes up :)

and if you care what a girl walking by your house sees you doing in the privacy of your own home I think you may have other issues ;)

Circuitbreaker8 said:
Lets put it this way....

or...

Or.. a very nice girl walks by your house and sees you and your friends all on the couch playing a video game, staring like zombies at the telly..

Or.. a very nice girl walks by your house and sees you and your friends all on the couch having an immense amount of fun swinging controllers in front of a telly..

Of course, those are 2 extremes.. but which would you rather have?

Isaacav2 said:
Scenario A: The girl keeps walking and says "Oh he's just playing his videogame".

Scenario B: The girls says... "What is that? Lemme try!"

The problem, is that I live in a neighborhood of old retired folks. Seriously, the average age of the residents in my neighborhood are probably 82 or higher. I would be more concerned about what old granny is gonna think as she walks past my house on her evening walk.

Scenario 3: Stop acting like a 13 year old and caring what others WALKING DOWN THE STREET think of you. :rolleyes:

tosp said:
Scenario 3: Stop acting like a 13 year old and caring what others WALKING DOWN THE STREET think of you. :rolleyes:

Who said anyone cares about what others walking down the street think of you? This was an interesting side trip with hypothetical possibilities that we just discussed for a little while. It's interesting how some people like you pretend like you are 14 levels more mature than anyone else when you havn't a clue who any of us really are behind the mask of the internet. Is it really likely that a hottie would be walking down the street staring into the upper floor(at least that's where my setup is located) of my house staring behind the curtains wondering what people are doing? I can't speak for others, but I think we were just having fun with this idea.

It's an awesome idea, but I'm having trouble imagining how this is going to work. Doesn't the sensor on the Wii's controller have to be pointed towards the receptor strip on the TV for the Wii to register the controller input?

How would I do a slashing motion with the controller (like a batter swinging to hit a baseball)?
The controller will be pointed towards the wall on your left/right side for most of the swing.

Or how about the same slashing motion, but from the top instead of from the left/right sides? The controller will be pointed towards the wall behind and above you for the first half of the swing.

Or a stabbing motion for the enemy behind you?
For this move my controller won't be facing the TV at all.

Of course the designers could just limit the player to pointing the controller at the screen and shifting their arm up/down/left/right/in/out, but then that sounds a bit limited (and would give the player not much more freedom than the joystick-controlled Star Wars Trilogy arcade game). Hopefully the developers are better at figuring out a work-around for this than I am, because frankly, I'm stumped as to how this is going to work. Perhaps fellow [H] members can help think of a solution to this puzzle? :confused:

deathstar550 said:
It's an awesome idea, but I'm having trouble imagining how this is going to work. Doesn't the sensor on the Wii's controller have to be pointed towards the receptor strip on the TV for the Wii to register the controller input?

How would I do a slashing motion with the controller (like a batter swinging to hit a baseball)?
The controller will be pointed towards the wall on your left/right side for most of the swing.

Or how about the same slashing motion, but from the top instead of from the left/right sides? The controller will be pointed towards the wall behind and above you for the first half of the swing.

Or a stabbing motion for the enemy behind you?
For this move my controller won't be facing the TV at all.

Of course the designers could just limit the player to pointing the controller at the screen and shifting their arm up/down/left/right/in/out, but then that sounds a bit limited (and would give the player not much more freedom than the joystick-controlled Star Wars Trilogy arcade game). Hopefully the developers are better at figuring out a work-around for this than I am, because frankly, I'm stumped as to how this is going to work. Perhaps fellow [H] members can help think of a solution to this puzzle? :confused:
I don't think you have to be aiming the wimote at the sensor, you just have to be in the room. It's supposed to know what you are doing to the thing. It may have some kind of sensor on both ends of it. so it can tell where you are pointing it.

junehhan said:
The problem, is that I live in a neighborhood of old retired folks. Seriously, the average age of the residents in my neighborhood are probably 82 or higher. I would be more concerned about what old granny is gonna think as she walks past my house on her evening walk.

"Dam arthritis!! back in my day i could of shown that whiper snapper a move or 2!!!"

"We used to have to walk 200 miles, in 10ft of snow with no boots to play our games!"

I'd be just waiting for the day that the video of "The star wars guy" appears on the web acting and looking like a complete moron. (Ala The star wars kid) :p
You know it will happen...hehe

interesting.
i like how they always cite games as exclusives for Wii. That is because they have lower quality graphics, and a different control method, so essentially they need separate development, and thus they are all technically "exclusives". However, a Star Wars game for the PS3 and X360 will probably still be made, except those cannot necessarily be called exclusives, as they will probably be the same on the two consoles.
This is taking place with a lot of games where they are cited as exclusive for the Wii, simply because they require separate development due to the control method and reduced graphics, although the game may otherwise be the same.
Even Call of Duty, whose Wii version is similar and graphically weaker is cited in some articles as exclusive, due to its control method.

What's your point? If I want graphics, I'll get the game for PC, and not any of the consoles (unfortunately for CoD 3 PC ain't happening). If I want to play something interesting, and different (hence exclusive) I'd get it for the Wii. If anyone's like me, though, you don't buy the crappy cross-platform ports anyway. Junehan, stop caring what others think. The impact of what others think will have no bearing on your life whatsoever. Seriously, what a ridiculous hypothetical situation.

I've been playing with sticks+buttons for over 20 years. Even I can tell you that to non-gamers I look like a zombie staring at the screen clicking buttons. Performing in-game actions like they're performed in-game looks a lot less "dumb" to most non-gamers, I'd think. I'd much rather control a lightsaber like... an actual lightsaber. Why wouldn't you?

I don't understand why people are opposed to something different. I'll have an X360 for gamepad-centric games, but games that could benefit from motion control can be potentially a LOT more fun than using a joystick to do the same thing. Hell, anything that requires pointing-and-shooting would be much better with a wiimote - as long as its optimized - than a gamepad (though a keyboard+mouse will still be superior). Observing this forum for a long time, I've realized that a lot of people are opposed to real change and I've always wondered why.

Back