Intersting voltages being seen on 1090T

mhenley

[H]ard|Gawd
A picture is worth a thousand words. The only things that I have changed in my CMOS are memory timings, and cpu multiplier, I left voltages on auto.

**Edit** Motherboard is ASUS M4A785TD-V Evo

Is this a normal range? Am I seeing signs of an aging power supply (3 year old OCZ StealthXStream 700w)?

The concern comes from a new desire to reach 4ghz, auto voltage settings and 3.8 was not stable, but 3.7 was.

Voltages.jpg

Last edited:
your CPU-Z isn't recongizing your 1090T correctly.

Mine shows all the appropriate information, yours is missing stuff...

Pulled this image from an old thread, I have a 1055t... can't remember if it shows voltage so sorry if it is unhelpful
mainboardtemp.jpg

You need approximately 1.4 v at least to get to 4.0 ghz (more or less, depending on your motherboard). 1.45v was enough to take me up to 4.1 or 4.2 ghz (don't remember which). 1.3-1.35 is standard for the Phenom II 1090T, depending on motherboard.

Software voltages aren't that accurate, especially for the 12v, 5v, and 3.3v. For example, my 12v is steady at 11.63, 5v at 5.02, and 3.3v at 1.00v in CPUID Hardware Monitor. I'm pretty sure if my 3.3v line is at 1.00v and 12v line at 11.63, my computer would be failing.

Tsumi: That's why I was wanting to figure out why I saw a drop to 1.28. I get the feeling it has something to do with the 'auto' setting though. If I set my board to 1.3875v for cpu, it doesn't go below 1.37, but auto drops to 1.28 regularly.I wish these readouts were a little bit more accurate, AMD says voltage limit for the chip is 1.4 and I don't want to go much beyond that if I can help it.

Tsumi: That's why I was wanting to figure out why I saw a drop to 1.28. I get the feeling it has something to do with the 'auto' setting though. If I set my board to 1.3875v for cpu, it doesn't go below 1.37, but auto drops to 1.28 regularly.I wish these readouts were a little bit more accurate, AMD says voltage limit for the chip is 1.4 and I don't want to go much beyond that if I can help it.

Is Cool 'n' Quiet still on? I did a small experiment last week where I left it on while stress-testing an overclock, and the CPU voltage was bouncing all over the place (voltage went lower and much higher than it was set for). The stress-test failed with CnQ on but passed once I turned it off and manually set the voltage.

Voltage limit on the Phenom II's are 1.55v. You are safe up to 1.55, so don't worry about hitting 1.45 volts. In fact, AMD's turbo core is designed to overvolt the 1090T and 1055T to 1.45 volts to gain the turbo core speed. When does it drop to 1.28? Under load like P95, or randomly while in windows? Is turbo core enabled?

Turbo Core disabled, Cool And Quiet disabled. The drop is random but happens both during "idle" in windows and during games. I say "idle" because I fold 100%. It doesn't seem to bounce around as much when I set a number rather than leaving it 'auto', which I have started doing since I began this thread.
1.55 you say? Odd how AMD's site says 1.4, but then again, I don't think they cater to the likes of us [H]ers
http://products.amd.com/en-us/Deskt...2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=

Thanks again everybody for your help.

Last edited:
Nah, that's just the default operating voltage range. Max safe voltage as listed by AMD is 1.55v for Phenom II's.

Don't say idle, say under 100% folding load.

It's usually best to set your own manual voltage, auto tends to fluctuate. How much is it dropping by?

Good news, I have a mostly stable 4.0 overclock, no crashes during testing... but some more interesting numbers.

"Power" drops to 90w and CPU-Z reports my multi dropped to x8 (I have it set for x19) and my mobo is set to 1.45v, yet I see it go up to 1.49. I know I'm inside the threshold of 1.55, I just find it interesting that it spikes occaisonally. This happens for only a few seconds then goes back to the numbers that I'm wanting to see. Any ideas? Another voltage bump needed?

Voltages3.jpg

Not sure why that is happening, it almost sounds like it is hitting a thermal barrier and throttling back to cool off the cpu.

My multiplier never changes, whether under load or idle.

Well, I'm obviously nowhere close to thermal barrier. It may be the board, ASUS claims it only supports 140w processors, and I was hitting that at 3.7 with no voltage bump.

Don't bother with the cpuid power consumption. A 1090t at 4 ghz would be using 150-200 watts.

A board that supports 140 watt processors will also support lower wattage processors.

Besides thermals, I wouldn't know what is causing the throttling back. Maybe a thermal limit setting in the bios?

I'll check. For all I know it could be a motherboard component (phase, mosfets, caps) that is reaching thermal limit. If that is the case, which is entirely possible since this is an older board, I might have to stick with 3.7 until a later date.

**edit**
Wasn't able to reach 4.0 stable without that multiplier dropping; I blame the northbridge. I was, however, able to reach 3.8 on stock voltage with a slight bump in fsb. Not bad for some extra folding points.

Last edited:
Overclock your northbridge. You'll definitely feel increased system responsiveness.

Back