Interpol Worried About Spike in Extremist Websites

HardOCP News

[H] News
The head of Interpol, speaking at the conference of world police chiefs, says that the number of extremist websites has skyrocketed. Makes you wonder where the RIAA ranks on that list. :D

The chief of Interpol says the "skyrocketing" number of extremist websites is making it easier for terrorists to recruit middle class youth around the world. Noble said the number of extremist websites tracked by police was 12 in 1998 and 4,500 in 2006.

Is there a rise in extremist websites, or is there a lowering of the definition of "extremist websites?"

With over 1000 intelligence agencies in the US alone, gotta justify that budget!

"Sir, if we don't get another $10 million a year to monitor ++++++++++, the terrorists win."

Oops, apparently the infamous gaping ++++++++ website is censored, should have seen that coming.

I think it's funny that 1998 is used at a reference point. Like anything on the internet in 1998 is comparable to today.

Moreover, and in a similar fashion, I think that the saturation of internet access across the world in the last 12 years has opened the communications avenue to people who would had such sites in the past but were unable to.

Now that any single website who advocates Capitalism, limited government, and fiscal responsibility (which are the only three principles you must agree to to belong to any Tea Party) is marked as a extremist threat, I could see why they've said the number has risen like crazy.

Is there a rise in extremist websites, or is there a lowering of the definition of "extremist websites?"

With over 1000 intelligence agencies in the US alone, gotta justify that budget!

"Sir, if we don't get another $10 million a year to monitor ++++++++++, the terrorists win."

I think it's funny that 1998 is used at a reference point. Like anything on the internet in 1998 is comparable to today.

^^this and that!!!

its great to think about the reaction they were going for with this type of info and the reaction seen here :)

Sadly Pauld5999 the masses will still read it exactly as the authors wanted it to appear.

This doesn't actually happen quite as often as you might think.

And there are actually 16 US intelligence agencies.

The Intelligence part is debatable. I've know some real dummies who work for CIA, NSA. Every department of the Gov has them. They are just known as "Paycheck Collectors" and they are there to satisfy quotas. Efficiency is #123,456,789
Well, you get the point. Plenty of good workers though, but when you have dirty water, its not clean until you purify it.

Now that any single website who advocates Capitalism, limited government, and fiscal responsibility (which are the only three principles you must agree to to belong to any Tea Party) is marked as a extremist threat, I could see why they've said the number has risen like crazy.

Got any proof of that? Or just made up political hyperbole?

Got any proof of that? Or just made up political hyperbole?

"In the report, Demos, “Recommends the Government fight back by infiltrating internet sites to dispute these theories.” One of the tools Demos already employs to “fight back” against conspiracy theories is by labeling anyone who challenges the government’s official story as an extremist or a terrorist recruiter."
http://www.infowars.com/government-think-tank-calls-for-infiltrating-conspiracy-websites/

http://www.infowars.com/bedell-a-libertarian-terrorist-soros-linked-blog-claims/

not so much government its the people who serve it, willing to fuck over hundreds of people for their paycheck so there wife and kid can eat, yeh thats not selfish

From Top Secret America (http://projects.washingtonpost.com/...cles/a-hidden-world-growing-beyond-control/):

" Some 1,271 government organizations and 1,931 private companies work on programs related to counterterrorism, homeland security and intelligence in about 10,000 locations across the United States."

Ok, so "organizations," not agencies. And yes I was exagerrating a bit. But at the same time, I just read a recent article on IED counter-measure research; it was quoted by one of the staff that a bombmaker in Pakistan can spend $5-600 at a market and make a new sort of IED, and up to $1 billion could be spent countering it. So spending $10 mil to monitor, say, Somethingawful.com, while humorous, isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Back