Internetworking Salary Survey (based on Cisco certification)

moetop

[H]ard|Gawd
I found this article interesting.

"Across the board, averages for all Cisco certifications are up -- and not just by a few thousand. For example, the average salary in 2004 for those of you who held a CCNA was $60,000 -- now, that number has jumped to a little more than $76,000. "

That's a significant jump. 22% overall which means over %5 a year which is better than the %3-%4.5 raises I got in the last 3-4 years

The region chart at the bottom is also very interesting.

i really need to get my MSCE

I am going to complain to work to get this.

how long does it normally take? ( i have been a network admin for 4 years for 2 different company's.. so I guess i wouldn't find it too hard)

Wow, guess i should have finished that CCNA training i was doing,

Of all things in IT I'm glad this is one of the few things that are still good.

Good GOD, i finished my classes last year. But too bad i did not try the exam.:mad:

Looks like i need to pull those notes back up.

My exam is next week. About fucking time though, I took classes of semester 1 and 2 of the academy program a few years ago but never realized it potential.

Salary surveys are pretty misleading sometimes. Don't be fooled into thinking you're going to be pulling in 76k for getting your CCNA. Experience, college education, who you work for, and what you do plays into this a lot. CCNA is a good stepping stone and will probably open some doors for you, but don't make the mistake of getting it with the expectation that you're suddenly going to be making a ton of money. More than likely, you'll be sadly disappointed.

Salary surveys are pretty misleading sometimes. Don't be fooled into thinking you're going to be pulling in 76k for getting your CCNA. Experience, college education, who you work for, and what you do plays into this a lot. CCNA is a good stepping stone and will probably open some doors for you, but don't make the mistake of getting it with the expectation that you're suddenly going to be making a ton of money. More than likely, you'll be sadly disappointed.

I agree totaly. That's where the "Average Base Salary by Experience Level" data makes that reality a bit more aparent. 3-5 years Exp =53K 2-3 years =43K .

I would encourage that everyone take the time to read the whole article and even download the complete survey to find out the low end.

Alot of those 2-3 and 3-5 year numbers are getting drug down by the fact that the job market was poor when alot of those people started. I have first hand experience, having started in that time frame. While I haven't seen anyone come in and grab a job where I work with a CCNA and pull 76k, its getting close. Wish I was anywhere close to my equivalent experience/CCNP number.

Another consideration to take into account is your workload and time away from home.

60K isn't jack if you're on the road for weeks/months at a time, working 60+ hours a week, completely stressed out.

You also need to take location into account. I live in a small town, but hold a CCDA. I don't make anywhere near those numbers, even my co worker who holds a CCNA and CCDA does not make anywhere near those numbers. It would be nice thou.

I work in the networking arena and find that certs aren't all that necessary. I have 10 years in Cisco/Juniper networks at a carrier (teir1) level with all the little bells and whistles. I find that the exp I have out weighs my expired CCNP. That is the biggest reason I've not put the time or money into re-certing. I've also seen CCNAs come in and not know jack about the basics. They just book smart but no practical knowledge.

Back