Internet Tax Ban Goes to The President

HardOCP News

[H] News
You know, part of me wants to see the president refuse to sign anything less than a permanent ban…but the logical side of me says “we’d better take what we can get.” Seven years is better than nothing.

The House approved by 402-0 the bill, which includes a longer moratorium extension than the four-year extension the chamber earlier endorsed. The latest version of the House legislation is identical to that already approved by the Senate, so the bill next goes to President George W. Bush, who is expected to sign it into law.

There is no reason to tax accessing the Internet. However, as local businesses give way to e-tailers state and local governments will need to tax online sales to replace their revenue stream. I realize some do it now but almost all of them will have to at some point.

The only way they could enforce this is by using the local tax of the company that it resides in. There is no federal sales tax because that is strictly for local municipalities. The government gets its money from income, not sales.

I still think it is a stupid idea to put taxes on the internet.

There is no reason to tax accessing the Internet. However, as local businesses give way to e-tailers state and local governments will need to tax online sales to replace their revenue stream. I realize some do it now but almost all of them will have to at some point.

or perhaps they should stop spending their money on the salaries of morons that run the system? or the waste of money on things that don't work? they dont' need to replace anything. they need to make themselves more efficient.

in this day and age, access to the internet is basically like access to the public library, within the comfort of your own home, and with the exception that you still pay for the access.

You know, part of me wants to see the president refuse to sign anything less than a permanent ban…but the logical side of me says “we’d better take what we can get.” Seven years is better than nothing.[/QUOTE

I'm getting old, but I'd swear that the president was the governor of Texas that signed the law that lets them tax internet services.

Nothing better than signing up for WOW or just plain ole DSL and seeing those extra taxes added on.

Regardless, I see no problem with a 7 year extension. You want a permanent ban? Then you'll need to get a constitutional ammendment passed. Anything less than that will eventually be revoked.

My question is why simply stop at internet acess? Why not ban taxes on gas, phone, electricity, etc. since they are all equally vital services.

My question is why simply stop at internet acess? Why not ban taxes on gas, phone, electricity, etc. since they are all equally vital services.

Initially, the ban was put in place because it was feared that taxes would hinder the economic expansion created by e-commerce.

They made an exception for the 1 or 2 states (<cough> texas</cough>) that already taxed access and services.

I suspect most people think it's a ban on taxing internet purchases (by law, you're obligated to pay your state's use tax when you buy out of state via mail order or over the web.

or perhaps they should stop spending their money on the salaries of morons that run the system? or the waste of money on things that don't work? they dont' need to replace anything. they need to make themselves more efficient.

A-FUCKING-MEN!!!

If Bush signs the bill, will it cover all internets, or just one of the internets?

Back