Internet stops working when downloading a large file in IE

dissonance

Limp Gawd
I'm not real sure what is causing this but I've been trying to download a 600 meg file in Internet Explorer. It will work fine for a while and then all of a sudden my connection stops working for everything (download, torrent, icq, wow, etc). Then I restart the computer and modem and it's back. This is pretty annoying and I'm not sure what causes it. I'm on a cable modem and then into a hub that splits the connection between two computers (however one is currently off/inactive). Any ideas? Thanks.

As awesome as an answer as that was, I think its an IE cache problem.

Tools ===> Internet Options ===> Settings
Change cache to 1024 or larger if ya like. That should fix the problem. Or use a download assistant like GetRight.

But still, http://www.mozilla.org

Rune75 said:
As awesome as an answer as that was, I think its an IE cache problem.

Tools ===> Internet Options ===> Settings
Change cache to 1024 or larger if ya like. That should fix the problem. Or use a download assistant like GetRight.

But still, http://www.mozilla.org

Hey thanks for replying. It is set by default at 4095mb. It also just happened while downloading a torrent in BitComet so it doesn't appear to be a IE issue.

Ug this is still happening. It didn't happen before this computer. It's not just IE. I can have BitComet downloading torrents and then all of a sudden I come back and the net is totally dead until I restart... Very annoying. It seems to happen most or maybe all of the time when I'm downloading at a high rate.

I'm using a Motorola cable modem and I believe a hub that splits it to two connections but I don't think those are the problem because it worked fine on my old computer.

Sounds like the problem is more associated with the torrents, ive got a similar problem, ill leave it on overnight, wake up in the morning and have to restart my WRT54G, the cable internet never goes out, but restarting the router always fixes it. Running static ips, so it's not like im just renewing my address, I dont know how to fix it.

When you are using bittorrent, make sure you limit your max upload speed to something less than your actual upload speed, otherwise you will saturate your upload and kill your download speeds in the process. I find that limiting my torrents to about 75% of my max upload works pretty good.

You can also try limiting the max number of connections per torrent. Some routers can't handle the hundreds of connections you can get with a high volume torrent, and just lock up. I know my WRT54G has this problem when I just let torrents open as many connections as they want. Within a day or so it will lock up. I usually limit mine to 50 connections overall, and 15 connections per torrent. It can drop your speeds a bit, but I've found that 15 connections is enough for almost every torrent.

I'm assuming BitComet will let you modify these settings, I know Azureus does.

JBark said:
When you are using bittorrent, make sure you limit your max upload speed to something less than your actual upload speed, otherwise you will saturate your upload and kill your download speeds in the process. I find that limiting my torrents to about 75% of my max upload works pretty good.

You can also try limiting the max number of connections per torrent. Some routers can't handle the hundreds of connections you can get with a high volume torrent, and just lock up. I know my WRT54G has this problem when I just let torrents open as many connections as they want. Within a day or so it will lock up. I usually limit mine to 50 connections overall, and 15 connections per torrent. It can drop your speeds a bit, but I've found that 15 connections is enough for almost every torrent.

I'm assuming BitComet will let you modify these settings, I know Azureus does.

Done all of those, didn't help my situation at all, sniff.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Unfortunately my internet quits randomly until I restart the comp from bit torrents, IE downloads, and even Winamp TV streams.

Have you checked your computer with a good antivirus program, and several good ad/spyware/malware removal programs?

Since you appear to be into using those P2P programs, your computer is probably infested with ad/spyware, and other baddies. (those things usually go hand in hand). I'd give the system a thorough checking with a top notch antivirus, as well as scan with Microsoft Antispyware, Spybot S&D, Adaware, trial of Spysweeper.

Add to that, you're not behind the NAT firewall of a router, so your computer is exposed a bit....an entry point for more troubles, esp if your Administrator password is left blank.

Also try the WinXP winsock/tcp stack repair utility (Google)

dissonance said:
I'm using a Motorola cable modem and I believe a hub that splits it to two connections but I don't think those are the problem because it worked fine on my old computer.

Is it a hub or a router? hubs and multiple PCs connected to your ISP doesn't work (in most cases)..... Does it still happen if the other PC is turned off?

Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

Wow thanks again for the replies. :D

I run an antivirus scan once a week and keep updated. I'm using Norton. I've also done several online virus scans in case Norton got attacked.

I run Adaware regularly as well as Windows updates.

I use the Norton firewall and have passed several online security tests.

I forget if it's a hub or router. Basically it takes a line from my modem and splits it to two computers. I pay extra to get a second ip for the second computer.

Yeah it still stops my internet even when the second comp is off. Sometimes I'll go to sleep watching a winamp stream of Upright Citizens Brigade and then wake up with no net. IE, winamp, icq, BitComet, etc won't work. The only way I've found to get it back is to restart.

This just started happening to me as well. If I let ABC sit for a while doing it's thing, I won't be able to get to any sites when I come back. If I kill ABC and wait a moment, things start picking back up again.
I was kinda wondering if it was related to all that DNS/netsplit/layer3 stuff mentioned earlier.. unfortunately I've been too busy to even read into what that news bit was really about.

Now that I think about it... I've updated the firmware on my WRT54G fairly recently. Perhaps I'll try to backrev to what it was. The issue that I was hoping to fix with the update wasn't affected anyway.

If it ain't broke enough, try fixing it. :rolleyes:

Looks like there are quite a few people over at LinksysInfo that are having the same type of problem with WRT54G routers. weird...

I decided to try changing my DNS servers from my ISPs (assigned by DHCP) to the ones listed on page 2 of the Internet issues: Level3(backbone) and CogentCo thread. (4.2.2.1,2,3)

I have not run into the "internet no workey" situation thus far. This may serve as a decent temporary solution untill my ISP figures out how to unfuck themselves.

Anyway... something you might try.. your mileage may vary. no waranty expressed or implied.

edit: and that's 3 posts in a row.. I'm done! :D

This was happeining to me with bitorrent and I tried many thing, different bitorrent setups and programs, changed router from a 802.11b Linksys router to the WRT54GS with Alchemy firmware. Then last week I moved into a new house and the Cox guy told me my modem wasn't supported anymore by them (linksys v1 cable modem) so he sold me one of theirs and ever since then I have not had a single problem. I do not know what model cable modem I have now since I am not at home but its a real small black one that Cox sells for $59.

Back