Internet slower than modem says it is

SlayVus

Limp Gawd
So I'm a new user here to [H], but am a long time reader.

My landlord is having problems with his AT&T DSL, which affects me since we share it. The modem is reporting a connection speed of Incoming: 3552 Kbps | Outgoing: 384 Kbps. This is what I am getting though when I do a speed test.

1124858294.png
1124859544.png

The modem is a 2701HG-B 2Wire Wireless Gateway. I am connected to it wirelessly using a Linksys USB Wireless-N Dual-Band network adapter(WUSB600N). I have also tried a wired line from the modem -> DLink DIR-655 -> PC and speeds were the same. I can not get a direct connection to the modem over wired because I do not have an ethernet line long enough.

Restarting the modem through the GUI and leaving it unplugged for several minutes as not resolved this issue. The connection speed that the modem reports does change slightly when reset.

Well try directly connected to the modem and if that doesn't get what you want try calling AT&T to see if there is something they can see on their end / can they send out a service tech. It may have nothing to do with your setup, but a faulty phone line, or a bad signal, or being too far from the DSL hub (or repeater, whatever it is DSL uses) and thus your going to have poor service no matter what.

I'm going to assume that this is something that only AT&T can fix because I just went in there, for shits and giggles, and disconnected all of his electronics from the modem and unplugged the modem for about a minute.

I did a speedtest and this is what I got when connected modem -> DLink DIR-655 -> PC
1124963734.png

This is what I got when I connected wirelessly directly to the modem, no router.
1124966321.png

:eek::eek:

That`s round about a good dial-up connection.

I remember, back in the day, I used to do a dance if I got connected at 54Kbps:D:D

They were the days!

How do you not cry when you see some on this forum connected at like 35/35!?! I cry and I have 20/2!

I was having similar problems on my TekSavvy DSL here in Ontario a little while back, but it was only temporary. I blamed line quality; we're on the 7th story of a 70's apartment building, and our dmarc consists of a freaking ancient phone line coming out of our wall(!), so that might not be it for you.

It could be the phone line, the house which is split up apartment style, is pretty old. I would say early 1900s, it still had those circular screw in type fuses when I moved in.

There is also a rodent problem on his side so one of them could have chewed through the line. Sadly though all my messing with it has messed it up even more and I can't even get online at my place. Everytime I try to get on the net it redirects me to a https webpage at pattcwprt.att.motive.com.

I'm doing my own research on the moment, but it I don't have a conclusion yet and don't have time to look for more information since I have to be in class in 8 minutes. Oh, and my landlord won't be back until tomorrow, which is why I'm doing my own research and not just having him call AT&T.

I don't have time to read through all of this at the moment.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21018774-Redirected-Modem

So I figured out what the possible problem might be. I saw a bill on my landlord's desk for $256 late due in December for all of this AT&T services including land line, iPhone and internet.

So now I am looking at getting my own internet connection from AT&T and using my own ADSL modem, that I will have to purchase, instead of one of theirs.

Back