Internet really sketchy, can't explain it.

HybReD1234

Limp Gawd
Usually I am pretty good about figuring out what's going wrong with my computer, if something does happen to go wrong. However, I'm pretty stumped on this one.

A few days ago my connection started freaking out with spikes and drops and what not. So I did the normal, restart modem for 1 minute, turn it back on. Etc. You know basic stuff; This didn't help in the slightest.

So next I figured I somehow grabbed some spyware from some random site. Proceeding that thought, I ran Spybot and AdAware, cleaned out the 5-10 problems I had. Problem still exsists.

Now the problem itself makes no sense in the slightest. I play World of Warcraft, I have Ventrilo (VoIP program) on basically 24/7, and it's easiest to notice the spikes in Ventrilo. I'll be sitting there, with WoW open, doing completely fine. I'll spike maybe once a 1/2 hour but nothing too bothersome. My ping hangs around 65~.

However, when I CLOSE WoW, Ventrilo starts exploding. Spiking to 15k~ ping putting me back 15~ seconds in the conversation. Sometimes more. This is happening basically every 30-45 seconds and is completely unbearable. I've done some download tests, and on sites I normally got 500-800/kbs, I'm getting 40-60/kbs.

So great, wonderful. My connection is shot. Now here's the thing I don't get. If my connection is screwing up so badly, how am I able to host UT2k4 games, Wc3 DotA matches, and have the clients connecting to me not lag AT ALL? It makes no sense in the slightest and just blows my mind.

My assumption is that because WoW is constantly uploading and downloading data, it holds the connection steady, leaving Ventrilo for the most part.. stable. Once I close that link, Ventrilo drops. My downloads begin freeze off and on, everything.

Things that I've done:

• Restarted Modem / Router
  • Ran Spybot / AdWare.. three times.
  • Checked my other computers in the house for a similar problem, none exsist.
  • Changed the jumper from the Router to the wall. No change.
  • Updated my Network Cards drivers from the RealTek website.

All of the above made no difference in the problem. Anyone have ANY idea of what could be causing the problem?

HybReD1234 said:
Changed the jumper from the Router to the wall. No change.
Updated my Network Cards drivers from the RealTek website.

Am I correct in assuming that when you say "changed the jumper from the router to the wall", you mean you plugged your computer directly into the modem versus going through any sort of switch and/or router? If not, give that a try.

Try another computer plugged directly into the modem as well to see if it may be something isolated to your setup.

Try a different network card.

Try another router if one of your buddies have one you could borrow, etc.

Call your ISP to find out if they are having trouble in your area.

Do you have Cable or DSL? All you said was Modem:

If Cable, make sure you don't have any amplifiers or an abundance of splitters before the modem. Make sure any splitters you might use are rated high frequency capable. What modem do you have? What level DOCSIS does it support? IF it's a 1.0 modem, most cable providers have moved to the 2.0+ standard which could be to blame for your connection's odd behavior.

If DSL, make sure the line running to your modem is not split anywhere - make sure it's not run off a splitter with a phone plugged into the same jack. Make sure you have the modem and/or router set for "always on" versus "on demand" - also make sure all of your PPoE information, if your ISP makes use of it, is correct.

I'm going to be testing a new NIC soon. It's not my router because none of my other computers are having this issue. Still doesn't explain the wierd behavior... :|

Try running some speed tests from your ISPs speedtest page -or toast if they don't have one - from the computer when you are noticing the problem. Then, boot into safe mode with networking and run the same tests. If you get different results, it's most likely a software issue. If your results are the same then you'll have to troubleshoot other possibilities. Since none of your other PCs seem to have the problem my gut feeling on this is that it's some kind of software issue (or a bad NIC as previously stated).

I called up Comcast and they said that they were getting packet loss pinging the modem... so yeah... I'll continute investigating this problem on Tuesday if it still persists.

Thanks for the help =)

Well that tech didn't do jack sh1t. The pinged my modem 3 days ago saying that it was losing packets, then today he comes in saying it's perfectly fine. /sigh. I'll be getting a new NIC soon.

Do you have an amp on the line?

Your cable modem should be the first, strongest signal tap of the splitter in the cable junction box. Before an amp not after.

I had a similiar problem a few months ago, connection would be great, 300-500kb downloads and then 20-40kb if I was lucky. Mornings were perfect, evenings were trash.

I figured some asshat was using a P2P on the local headend and only used it in the evenings.

I ran a new cable coax from the splitter in the junction box to my modem. Fixed it for me.
My modem was in the inside of the amp, now only the TV's are on the amp.

Just a random thought to see if it helps you.

:)

Thanks for all the assistance guys, I figured out the problem.

Turns out that when I downloaded and installed something required to run a Banlist for DotA (Warcraft 3: TFT Map), it was called ProtoWall and fucked up my connection big time. Thanks for all the possibilities, really appreciate it.

Back