Internet halfway works

Long story short

Open up IE6 no internet, the page times out after 60sec or so. Firefox does the same. But yahoo IM works fine. And I can ping websites all day in command prompt. I tried the winsock fix thing and nothing. Did the spybot thing, stinger virus scan, AVG, and other cleaners. It's not my Pc and windows has not been reloaded in 2 years. So i think some bad spyware got on it since the main user is 14. I reloaded Xp and it still doing the same thing. I call up knology (ISP) and "they say" everything is fine on their end.

So that's the problem in a nut shell. Any help or finger pointing would be nice :)

something is blocking or redirecting port 80 (the port HTTP works on).

Try creating a new user and logging in as that user and see if it works. I have had spyware corrupt a user's profile and cause the problem you describe. I usually log on as administrator, move their profile to the root of C:. I then log back in as that user so that it will create a new profile and I copy back favorites etc from the original moved profile.

When you reloaded XP was it a full reformat reinstall or a repair? If it is malware that wasn't picked up by the scans a format would be the best way to see what happens. when you ran your network tests did you run them in safe mode with the system hardwired? Safemode would rule out most of the spyware out there, smitfraud and a few others can still be running though.
I would try safemode first, if you can surf the web there than you know its a spyware thing. If not are there other computers on the network? Can they connect? If they can, reformat reinstall. if they can't then somethings up on the ISP side.

Back