Internet Fire Challenge Leaves 12 Year Old Girl Horribly Burned and on a Ventilator

Kids will always do stupid things
But if your kid doesn't know the dangers of flammable stuff at that age....wtf

Kids are mindless idiots

Reminds me...must go pick up mine from creche

:D

While I am sure that many of the kids today are very smart in their own way, and will likely come up with things never dreamed before...... too many of them are unable to think for themselves. A Youtube video tells them something is a challenge, and they go do it. I had a 10 minute argument about how Kylie Jenner is not a "role model" and provided no actual betterment to the world with my 15 yr old stepdaughter who wants to be like Kylie (sorry, you aren't from a multi-million dollar family, so that is out). I gave up and just accepted, kids are dumb. I was once dumb too, but i did stupid stuff on my own (friends and I found a bunch of shotgun shells, cut them open to get the gunpowder out, and then tried to light it by throwing matches on the pile). I am consistently amazed when i tell kids to go outside and play, and they look at me blankly and ask what they are supposed to do outside.

Godwin's Law, can;t escape it - it's ALWAYS Nazis.

Hey, you'd think by the time you made it to your teens you'd know that eating soap was bad, but that didn't stop all those Tide Pod morons.

We did plenty of dumb things as kids. And we didn't wear helmets when we rode bikes. But we survived. Though probably the dumbest thing I ever did was climb to the very tip top of the big maple tree in my back yard - meaning, I was sticking my head up out of the TOP of the tree. Branches were mighty thing up that high, but I made it up and back down without disaster - could have been bad, the top of the tree was higher than the roof of the 2 story (plus attic) house. Also, I was far less fat back then. And while I was up there, I lashed an old car antenna to the tree and ran a cable down to the fort I built at the base of the tree to get better range on walkie talkies. A mobile user had a wire wrapped around one of those old bike flags that were popular. Not knowing a damn thing about RF engineering back then, it amazingly worked, and from the fort I could talk to the mobile users riding around the entire neighborhood.

Hmm, or maybe it was tying the wagon to the back of my bike - though that wasn't my fault at all, rather the impatient neighbor from up the street who couldn't wait til we all rode past the narrow part of the street (because cars were packed on both sides) and forces his way through. The front og my wagon caught on the inside of his rear wheel well. Luckily for me, the rope broke so I wasn't pulled backwards dragging on the street. Told my Mom what happened, a little while later he comes banging on the door trying to say it was my fault. Sorry dude, bikes have the right of way over cars.

Then there were the explosions my best friend and I set off when we were in HS. He had access to a lot of interesting chemicals, and made up some interesting things. But we set them off in a huge empty field where there was nothing around to damage, and for the big one we used nearl a whoel roll of fuse cord so we could light it and be VERY far away. And we were - out of the field, across the road, and at least another block up the neighborhood, and it was still LOUD. Amazing it didn't shatter any windows and that no one called the police or fire department. I don't remember exactly what was in that one, but it was inside a 2 liter bottle and then set inside a stack of old tires that were in the field. When we finally went back, it looked like a black snow had fallen. That was the last one we ever did, no way coud we top that without being WAY out in the country somewhere.

your statement can be taken in two different ways. For #5 you need to define the statement as in context making sense for a man with no pants could mean that it is what you would expect a man with no pants riding a public bus to be saying, or you could mean makes sense as if he was a normal every day person.

based on your list it is hard to know what we are using as the standard to select against. Crazy guy being crazy, or "crazy guy" being normal and just not caring / forgetting to put on pants.

Thats true.. Ironically, either interpretation will work in this case..

At least YouTube banned Alex Jones! He's the real monster here and not the fire challenge video!

of all the posts here for some reason this one annoyed me the most out of all.
its like one of those damn holier than thou vegans that cant resist relating absolutely EVERY SINGLE THING IN THE WORLD to their perceived slights.

and we are in a thread about kids setting themselves on fire.

Remember kids, this is what happens when you don't use 91% Iso alcohol to clear the TIM off your components. Use 71% or rubbing alcohol and bam! You turn into a fireball running through the house.

I'm super impressed though.

After dousing themselves in rubbing alcohol, the kid overcame the intense odor and likely intense burning from getting some in their eyes or any scrapes or cuts they had and still had the where-with-all to get the lighter and and set themselves ablaze.

Also, where the hell was the parent napping at? Definitely no where near by otherwise that god awful smell would have woke them up immediately.

At least YouTube banned Alex Jones! He's the real monster here and not the fire challenge video!

Bad behavior does not justify bad behavior. Or are you gonna be ethicly consistent and say Alex Jones, the Fire Challenge, and Snuff films should all be allowed on youtube. Just cus one of them didn't get banned doesn't mean the others didn't need to be as well. (and I like Alex Jones, he is crazy as hell but as long as you don't take his rants seriously it's quite entertaining from time to time)

Last edited:
In this case setting oneself on fire is a stupid thing from any angle. But not from a kid's angle

I am sorry but if your (not you specifically) TEENAGE child doesn't have the smarts to not set themselves on freaking FIRE, then I pray to god they are never allowed to reproduce. Animals know enough to stay away from fire, much less intentionally get caught on fire. This is just as stupid as the Tide Pod challenge. Kids seem to have less and less common sense as time goes by. I don't know if its because parents are not paying enough attention to them or maybe paying to much attention. I don't know but not setting ones self on fire has been ingrained in the human brain since 5 minutes after the discovery of fire.

Really?!?!?!?!?! When I was growing up it was freaking common sense even when I was 5 years old that you don't play with fire, much less set yourself on fire.

Screw "peer pressure"... if you are dumb enough to fall for crap like that, then it is either the parent's fault for not actually teaching their child(ren) basic common sense or the person that did it is flat out retarded.
God you must have had a boring childhood. What young boy doesn't want to play with fire, fireworks, napalm, etc.?

Where do all these dangerous and even life-threatening challenges come from? Tide Pods, condom snort, choking to induce a high, salt and ice, etc.
Its like there is some mastermind out there that want to filter out the dumbest of this generation's youth.

What happened to the good old days before the internet when children had clean, wholesome fun, like BB gun wars, or firecracker wars, or BOTTLE ROCKET WARS!!? (Fuck yeah!)

This is unrelated to the stupidity of lighting yourself on fire (and I am not advocating lighting yourself on fire), but a friend once told me that the difference between adventure and stupidity is your budget. You see, not everyone can afford the years of training and thousands of dollars it takes to die while climbing the Himalayas. Not everyone can afford to drown while scuba diving, not everyone can afford to hit the wall while base jumping with a wing suit. Most people can't afford to hit a deer with a Harley Davidson and they can't afford to go out with their buddies and flip a $10,000 Yamaha ATV into an early grave. But most people can afford the cost of rope for a decent homemade zip line. The difference is, if you die doing the expensive things that's a tragedy. Dying because you fell off your own cheap-ass zip line makes you an idiot.

Using some psychological algebra, doing stupid things can actually be rewarding, because (as shown above) stupid is always the cheapest adventure you can go on. So go ahead and see if you can get a chainsaw to power your old bicycle. And remember, they only mock you because you died on a low budget.

Hey now, that should have worked...

About a block from my house there used to be a beautiful 30's era house, a big place built by a wealthy mill owner. And the little old lady who lived there used to make spiced olive oil to give away at Christmas time. She would make her spiced olive oil in a crock pot, but one day the crock pot stopped working, so she lifted the ceramic crock out of the crock pot and put it on the stove, and set the (gas) burner to it's lowest setting, and left to buy a new crock pot, and anyway, that house burned down.

No it blew up, the gas vapors went through the motor, and caused it to explode. BAD!!!!!!

A lot of young kids mess around with fire at some point and often there are unintended consequences like the fire getting out of control. A lot of young kids have also had some sort of experience with burns from touching something hot, or at least have seen and heard that fire is dangerous.

But pouring a flammable liquid all over yourself and setting yourself on fire is next-level stupidity; what's next, a "jump on the knife!" challenge? "Jump off a building" challenge? How much obvious self-harm needs to be in the mix before you do what most other people do and "chicken out"?

TVhs79Q.gif

"participants douse themselves with rubbing alcohol from head to toe and then set their bodies on fire".......
This is what happens when you take science out of schools and try to put god in there instead.....

Wonder when we'll see the Take 2 Cups of Draino and Call the Funny Doctor in the Morning challenge?

Try as they might to negate it, natural selection is still alive and well.
Sadly it's just isn't fast enough
Play stupid games....
Win crispy prizes!

Godwin's Law, can;t escape it - it's ALWAYS Nazis.

Hey, you'd think by the time you made it to your teens you'd know that eating soap was bad, but that didn't stop all those Tide Pod morons.

We did plenty of dumb things as kids. And we didn't wear helmets when we rode bikes. But we survived. Though probably the dumbest thing I ever did was climb to the very tip top of the big maple tree in my back yard - meaning, I was sticking my head up out of the TOP of the tree. Branches were mighty thing up that high, but I made it up and back down without disaster - could have been bad, the top of the tree was higher than the roof of the 2 story (plus attic) house. Also, I was far less fat back then. And while I was up there, I lashed an old car antenna to the tree and ran a cable down to the fort I built at the base of the tree to get better range on walkie talkies. A mobile user had a wire wrapped around one of those old bike flags that were popular. Not knowing a damn thing about RF engineering back then, it amazingly worked, and from the fort I could talk to the mobile users riding around the entire neighborhood.

Hmm, or maybe it was tying the wagon to the back of my bike - though that wasn't my fault at all, rather the impatient neighbor from up the street who couldn't wait til we all rode past the narrow part of the street (because cars were packed on both sides) and forces his way through. The front og my wagon caught on the inside of his rear wheel well. Luckily for me, the rope broke so I wasn't pulled backwards dragging on the street. Told my Mom what happened, a little while later he comes banging on the door trying to say it was my fault. Sorry dude, bikes have the right of way over cars.

Then there were the explosions my best friend and I set off when we were in HS. He had access to a lot of interesting chemicals, and made up some interesting things. But we set them off in a huge empty field where there was nothing around to damage, and for the big one we used nearl a whoel roll of fuse cord so we could light it and be VERY far away. And we were - out of the field, across the road, and at least another block up the neighborhood, and it was still LOUD. Amazing it didn't shatter any windows and that no one called the police or fire department. I don't remember exactly what was in that one, but it was inside a 2 liter bottle and then set inside a stack of old tires that were in the field. When we finally went back, it looked like a black snow had fallen. That was the last one we ever did, no way coud we top that without being WAY out in the country somewhere.

No instead they aim guns at their boyfriends and hope the phone book hes holding up will stop the bullet...

God you must have had a boring childhood. What young boy doesn't want to play with fire, fireworks, napalm, etc.?

the problem is the difference between being young and dumb and being just plain stupid. Like I said above riding a skateboard off a roof of a house and off a 100 story building is very different. There is a difference between playing with fire and watching things burn vs committing suicide. If you ride a bike off a home made ramp you are thinking I am being like some x-gamer or doing something cool. When you have your friend put a .44 to your chest and pull thr trigger you are having somebody kill you. 3 people died swimming around a waterfall and they were called stupid and said it should have been a given they would die. However that was actually just being adventurous. Covering yourself with a flammable liquid and setting one's self on fire is simply being stupid. There is a difference between the two. Nothing excuses stupid, no matter how many people do it. Many people get two or three times over the legal limit and swerve in and out of traffic, does that make it ok?

"participants douse themselves with rubbing alcohol from head to toe and then set their bodies on fire".......
This is what happens when you take science out of schools and try to put god in there instead.....
Not sure if serious...

Well, regardless, the education system is fscked, I agree.

the problem is the difference between being young and dumb and being just plain stupid. Like I said above riding a skateboard off a roof of a house and off a 100 story building is very different. There is a difference between playing with fire and watching things burn vs committing suicide. If you ride a bike off a home made ramp you are thinking I am being like some x-gamer or doing something cool. When you have your friend put a .44 to your chest and pull thr trigger you are having somebody kill you. 3 people died swimming around a waterfall and they were called stupid and said it should have been a given they would die. However that was actually just being adventurous. Covering yourself with a flammable liquid and setting one's self on fire is simply being stupid. There is a difference between the two. Nothing excuses stupid, no matter how many people do it. Many people get two or three times over the legal limit and swerve in and out of traffic, does that make it ok?
Nah I agree, just giving crap. We likely all did stupid things, but most of us knew the limits.

And going 3x the speed limit in the city is reprehensible, but those are stupid adults. You hope that the common sense iron would hit them eventually... but I've taken a Viper, CTS-V, Stingrays, and numerous other sports cars out 20 miles to open roads and went well above 100mph when I was much younger... It's fun if you aren't endangering others! (still stupid)

I am sorry but if your (not you specifically) TEENAGE child doesn't have the smarts to not set themselves on freaking FIRE, then I pray to god they are never allowed to reproduce. Animals know enough to stay away from fire, much less intentionally get caught on fire. This is just as stupid as the Tide Pod challenge. Kids seem to have less and less common sense as time goes by. I don't know if its because parents are not paying enough attention to them or maybe paying to much attention. I don't know but not setting ones self on fire has been ingrained in the human brain since 5 minutes after the discovery of fire.

Humans are hard-wired as a species to conform; even if they know what they are being asked to do is a bad idea. If a group of friends/family/role models pressure someone to do something, the overwhelming majority of people will do it [this applies to adults just as well as children].

This isn't a case of people getting less intelligent with time; people over a century ago would have done this same exact type of stuff had people they look up to told them to do it. The difference now is the sheer amount of voices thanks to the Internet; more voices, more chance of people listening to the wrong ones.

I would never teach a kid to fear something, I taught my kids how to respect fire and understand it. They know the dangers that go along with it but also know how to enjoy it.

YouTube on the other hand... my kids want to be on it ALL day but they aren’t watching it unless I’m watching it with them. Yes I’ll listen to their crappy music too. I guess I’m lucky though, my kids love the NatGeo channel and those videos are like 45 minutes long.

We rightly excuse children for youthful transgressions born of innocence and naivety, but some things are just unforgivable stupidity, even for a 12 year-old.

Nowadays we're using the "just a kid" excuse for everything, as well as applying it to people in their 20s.

Due to Obama care, a kid can stay on their parents medical insurance until they are 26. And you wonder why 26 year olds are still acting like kids?

Humans are hard-wired as a species to conform; even if they know what they are being asked to do is a bad idea. If a group of friends/family/role models pressure someone to do something, the overwhelming majority of people will do it [this applies to adults just as well as children].

This isn't a case of people getting less intelligent with time; people over a century ago would have done this same exact type of stuff had people they look up to told them to do it. The difference now is the sheer amount of voices thanks to the Internet; more voices, more chance of people listening to the wrong ones.

That's called peer pressure, and the best thing you can do as a parent is to teach you kid to ignore it, especially then the pressure is to make you do something stupid.
Maybe that's the magical reason my kid and her cousins haven't done stupid things like this.

Wasn't this a thing a few years ago? I recall a guy doing this in a shower and not going well back then. Who the fuck brings this shit back?

The Internet never forgets. Ten years from now a new batch of kids will be scoring antique Tide pods off of eBay when the challenge comes around again.

I have zero sympathy....
Agreed, no more love for stupidity, no more tears shed for the loses.
Whatever happened to commonsense?

A lot of young kids mess around with fire at some point and often there are unintended consequences like the fire getting out of control. A lot of young kids have also had some sort of experience with burns from touching something hot, or at least have seen and heard that fire is dangerous.

View attachment 98285
Reminds me of my father catching me playing with matches.
Took me to the stove, placed my hand on the burner, and turned it on. While it never got really hot, the experience was carved into my mind. One of the many fond memories of my early childhood......

Not sure if serious...

Well, regardless, the education system is fscked, I agree.

Serious. Some states are requiring schools to post "In God We Trust" under the guise of national motto. A more fitting motto to use would be "We the People", or the original country's motto, "E pluribus unum", out of many, one.
Others are trying to push Creationism into science classes.

Reactions: ncjoe
like this
Due to Obama care, a kid can stay on their parents medical insurance until they are 26. And you wonder why 26 year olds are still acting like kids?

Soooo the less medical insurance you have the better your judgement becomes? The fuck?

Sounds like some first class parenting there.

I don't necessarily blame parenting in this case. By 12 pretty much everyone knows not to douse yourself in flammable liquid and light yourself on fire.

Sometimes there's just not a fix for stupid. If you haven't figured out not to light yourself on fire by 6th grade, you'll likely never learn.

I hope as many idiots take part in this challenge as can. I'll never get my wish of removing warning labels from products so i'll have to settle for Youtube challenges taking care of the morons.

While I am sure that many of the kids today are very smart in their own way, and will likely come up with things never dreamed before...... too many of them are unable to think for themselves. A Youtube video tells them something is a challenge, and they go do it. I had a 10 minute argument about how Kylie Jenner is not a "role model" and provided no actual betterment to the world with my 15 yr old stepdaughter who wants to be like Kylie (sorry, you aren't from a multi-million dollar family, so that is out). I gave up and just accepted, kids are dumb. I was once dumb too, but i did stupid stuff on my own (friends and I found a bunch of shotgun shells, cut them open to get the gunpowder out, and then tried to light it by throwing matches on the pile). I am consistently amazed when i tell kids to go outside and play, and they look at me blankly and ask what they are supposed to do outside.

It's because, to be blunt, kids are stupid. Parents never want to admit this but ALL kids are stupid (even their precious bobbies and sallys) to varying degrees as some are dumber than others. We were all kids once, and we all did stupid things too as it's part of growing up. Sometimes, some kids do stupid things that end up being a HUGE mistake...this being one of them.

Here’s a logical exercise for you to consider.

Survival of the fittest allows for all kinds of nastiness. All dictators, all tyranny. All the worst of the worst is supported, as it rises to power. Joseph Mengele?, sure why not, he had power and authority to do what he did. Nazis were the fittest after all at the time, and in power...

Ugh, the absolute worst of humanity.

Take a maxim perspective of that survival of the fittest philosophy outside the limited organization of the dumb animal and you’ll quickly logically realize it doesn’t work in organized and intelligent humanity.

Now compare a philosphy of living peacefully with each other like Christ teaches. The two greatest commandments 1) love the Lord your God with all your heart and 2) treat your neighbor as yourself. (The basis of the Golden Rule) and run that philosophy to the societal maxim. Which world would you rather live in?

I'd like to live in the world where people take some fucking personal responsibility for their actions, thank you very much.

Back