Internet Explorer vs. Firefox

Which browser would you prefer between the below options?

• Total voters
MaXimus said:
sorry but why on earth would you prefer to use a browser that is not integrated into the OS? What does that have to do with anything?

You can't easily install multiple versions.
If it goes down, it's more likely to take the OS with it.
Getting a new version can involve updating the OS.

firefox.... all I can say is it rocks!!! IE is like a bread crumb compared to firefox :p
Why do you people like IE? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

WhyYouLoveMe said:
Uhm... another one word - speed

In what way? startup? I find that firefox displays pages as fast as IE. Even it IE is a little faster I would take being more secure than a little speed increase.

todlerix said:
cuz it works with everything, its a standard just like windows

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

KevinO said:
In what way? startup? I find that firefox displays pages as fast as IE. Even it IE is a little faster I would take being more secure than a little speed increase.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

lol ;x

honestly i can't tell you how many people bring their computers and say they cant do this or that , i see they use firefox, test with ie6. and gg!

just like 3-4 days ago someone had loaded firefox on a machine cuz "its better" and this person hadnt been working for 3 days before they called me.. bla bla bla wont work
(this is a place 4 doors down from my shop)

i show up, have them show me what isnt working, using firefox going to a website.. so i run it in IE. it works fine.

Maybe its just me who always runs into crap it doesnt work with. Oh man and the profile thing PISSES ME OFF, lots of clients get firefox error and get message to send in report.. load up firefox "profile in use" OMG OMG WTF ALL MY FAVORITES ARE GONE WHATS GOING ON. I dont like those calls.

I've taken the time to replace every single icon of ie on my rig with a firefox link. It would be terribly difficult for my wife or any other random relative to run ie right now on my computer, and I like it that way, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside.

KevinO said:

Firefox starts up faster, loads pages faster, updates faster, opens tabs faster, opens multiple pages faster, cleans up faster and installs faster.

WhyYouLoveMe said:
Firefox starts up faster, loads pages faster, updates faster, opens tabs faster, opens multiple pages faster, cleans up faster and installs faster.

I misunderstood your post WhyYouLoveMe sorry. I though you were saying one word "faster" on the IE side and not the Firefox side. ;)

ok well finally the solution is there!

Internet Explorer 7 Beta 3!!! I couldn't use IE7 coz it had a bug where it would reset your cookies after you restart! now it's fixed! i have no reason not to use IE7 anymore! bye bye firefox! IE for teh w!n

I love me some Firefox... IE6 has screwed up a lot of the machines that I have had to clean up for friends/ family b/c of Active X. :rolleyes:

KevinO said:
I misunderstood your post WhyYouLoveMe sorry. I though you were saying one word "faster" on the IE side and not the Firefox side. ;)

Gotcha. ;) For a second there I thought worlds would collide, the sun would burst and Windows would stop blue-screening. Ok... back to normal now.

Firefox and derivatives, hands down.

I'm amazed IE is getting as many votes as it is in this poll.

Doesn't matter what I do to Firefox, what extensions I try, what about:config variables I tune and tweak, what FasterFox stuff I modify, etc. Avant/IE/Opera just smokes it flat out on this laptop of mine, in all ways.

bb

darktiger said:
IE7 B3, is fast....Love it..Dropping FF...
ditto!!! it's amazing! all the errors are cleared out! seem like MS is ready for teh final release

Centauri said:
I'm amazed IE is getting as many votes as it is in this poll.

I need IE for the corporate intranet, and just can't be bothered using another browser for the internet.

Besides, IE and Firefox are about the same speed, and since I run IE as a limited user, there aren't any security issues.

there is nothing that ie does better than firefox...even when it tries to copy firefox.

You have got to be kidding me. There's a difference between not being perfect on the ACID test and being... well... IE. This is not even in the same ball park. Not even the same sport. Not even the same planet.

So Firefox only scored a 1500 on its SAT. IE is still wearing a helmet and drooling on itself as it takes the short bus back to Redmond. Seriously just... just don't even go there. IE is the biggest frustration on the planet right now to anyone who actually works in this industry.

johnnq said:
there is nothing that ie does better than firefox...even when it tries to copy firefox.

How's Firefox at running the ActiveX controls?

That makes it pretty useless for my intranet, doesn't it?

WhyYouLoveMe said:
That's a bummer, Pete. So.... how the frick did you just post that? Telekinesis? You don't use any browsers? Perhaps hyperterminal? hehe

You're right. *bows and showers them with praise for allowing me to post* That's some elite coding right there. I should really send them a donation! :|

I will be oper'ing I suppose.

Shadow2531 said:
Just curious. Why do you say "sorta close" for Opera 9. Opera 9 completely passes it.
It didn't when I tried it; it had a gaping mouth thing and the eyes were odd. Thats one of the reasons I encouraged people to test for themselves. Have to say though, I just tried it again (on a different PC), and it nailed it just like Konqueror had.

pigster said:

Edit: Nevermind read your previous post that you were running IE under limited user restrictions

todlerix said:
i voted ie6/7because firefox isnt not 100% compatible.

where as ie is (im sure there are some bullshit sites out there that ie wont work, but nothing i've ever run into

Wrong. IE is the one that doesn't properly support standards. Instead, MS creates their own, and then dumbfounded users mistakenly believe IE works better than FF or Opera.

I believe Opera has the highest rating for correctness in terms of HTML/CSS/other support... considering the guy who wrote CSS 1 is a developer for Opera, that's no surprise, really.

Josh_B said:
Wrong. IE is the one that doesn't properly support standards. Instead, MS creates their own, and then dumbfounded users mistakenly believe IE works better than FF or Opera.

QFT

Here is a quote from the IEBlog from last year: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/07/29/445242.aspx

We fully recognize that IE is behind the game today in CSS support. We’ve dug through the Acid 2 Test and analyzed IE’s problems with the test in some great detail, and we’ve made sure the bugs and features are on our list - however, there are some fairly large and difficult features to implement, and they will not all sort to the top of the stack in IE7. I believe we are doing a much better service to web developers out there in IE7 by fixing our known bang-your-head-on-the-desk bugs and usability problems first, and prioritizing the most commonly-requested features based on all the feedback we've had.

Now I am no web dev (althought I do create simple CSS / HTML sites for my company), but hopefully what they say is true. We will see how "much better" they do in the final release.

Please don't get me wrong, I think IE7 is a huge improvement over IE6 and do have it installed and testing it. I haven't found as many sites that are not compatible like in IE6, but that doesn't mean there aren't alot out there. Also, what sites are using the IE CSS hacks to let it show correctly?

pigster said:

Same reason I use IE6. Very interested in beta7, just hoping they get the majority of the bugs out before it goes live. Still, we'll be waiting a month or two before rolling it out.

Baredor said:
Same reason I use IE6. Very interested in beta7, just hoping they get the majority of the bugs out before it goes live. Still, we'll be waiting a month or two before rolling it out.
it's teh best browser i ever used

Back