Internet Explorer 9 Beta Coming Next Month

I tried to sign up for the beta. that page you linked goes directly to where you RSVP to join them in San Fran for the release of the beta..

" September 15, 2010
Concourse Exhibition Center
635 8th Street
San Francisco, CA 94103

Thank you for your interest in joining us to celebrate the Beauty of the Web and the launch of Internet Explorer 9 Beta!

In order to confirm your attendance, please create a registration account using your e-mail address (the same e-mail address where you received your invitation), a unique password and the registration code as it appears on your invitation. "

You have to have an invite in order to register

I wish Microsoft would stop trying to make browsers and leave it for the pros to do.

I might get it just to compare speeds and also see how many security features I can lock down so the browser becomes unusable lol.

I've compiled a list of web pages I've visited using Internet Explorer:

www.getfirefox.com

End of list.

I wish Microsoft would stop trying to make browsers and leave it for the pros to do.

Yeah, Microsoft should just stop making browsers, a market where they are STILL doubling up their closest competitor. And they might as well stop making OSes for x86 machines also since they are even further ahead in that market.;)

I might get it just to compare speeds and also see how many security features I can lock down so the browser becomes unusable lol.

www.getfirefox.com

End of list.

Sounds like you still think IE is IE6.

Yeah, Microsoft should just stop making browsers, a market where they are STILL doubling up their closest competitor. And they might as well stop making OSes for x86 machines also since they are even further ahead in that market.;)

Put Chrome or Firefox on Windows right from the factory and tell me how many people won't switch? IE owns a large share because NO ONE KNOWS OF OTHER BROWSERS. Most people have a hard time double clicking, what makes you think they're going to search for other browsers? A lot of people use IE simply because it's the only browser pre-installed on Windows. I would LOVE to see this done and watch IE take a nosedive.

The interface still looks like shit and tabbed browsing is garbage.

nevergofullretard.jpg

I agree with Bahamut. I can't wait to see what is different in this new release. It seems the website linked though is to a release event, guess I'll have to wait.

Yes, IE was bad during the 5.5 and 6 age, but they have come out with a fair amount of things that were innovative that other browsers stole or people ignored like running the browser in a sandbox (7) Web accelerators and web slices. (8) And they have slowly become more standard compliant. I still don't use IE but you have to admit that in some ways it's a decent browser now. It's typical Microsoft, as long as they have competition they are competitive. As soon as they don't they get lazy.

i really like IE8, as much as i like Firefox now, used to be completely different, i would choose Firefox any day, but they are doing well now. some features in IE8 i find myself having to search to figure out how to make Firefox act the same way.......used to be the other way around.....

Put Chrome or Firefox on Windows right from the factory and tell me how many people won't switch? IE owns a large share because NO ONE KNOWS OF OTHER BROWSERS. Most people have a hard time double clicking, what makes you think they're going to search for other browsers? A lot of people use IE simply because it's the only browser pre-installed on Windows. I would LOVE to see this done and watch IE take a nosedive.

Why does everyone on this board think that non-techie people are stupid? And this logic doesn't make sense anyway. So most people are just ignorant of other browsers yet if they did know about them they'd see some huge difference between IE and other browsers?

Bottom line, ALL browsers do essentially the same job in presenting the web with minor differences in UI and the biggest difference being extensions. Some people like tons of extensions, personally the fewer the better just to keep things stable but sure they can make a big difference. I know plenty of people that used FireFox and found out it wasn't any better than IE because they didn't use a lot extensions.

Actually one of the reasons I stick with IE is it's OneNote integration but the biggest reason for me is that IE works much better on my Tablet PCs.

Overall browsers is browsers which is the whole point of them anyway.

www.getfirefox.com

End of list.

Wow. A browser fanboy. How pathetic. IE, Firefox, and Chrome are all fine browsers.

Huh, using old versions of the browsers really jumbles the results.

More recent tests have put Firefox 4 pretty much neck-and-neck with IE9, followed by Opera, with Chrome and Safari coming in dead last. The addition of Direct2D and DirectWrite hardware acceleration is probably what's given FF4 and IE9 their massive advantage.

I was impressed by the improvement made in IE8
Looking forward to IE9

The addition of Direct2D and DirectWrite hardware acceleration is probably what's given FF4 and IE9 their massive advantage.

Pinch zooming in IE 9 is MUCH better, indeed rendering overall is just a hell of lot better. Gonna check out FF 4 this weekend and see how that works.

This right here. There's little point in being a browser or OS fan boy these days, they are all good now.

Nothing wrong with being a fan boy as long as you understand both the strengths and weaknesses of your favs.

www.getfirefox.com

End of list.
I wish people who didn't understand enterprise computing would get a reasonable clue about how silly this sounds, but it isn't going to happen.

Ever try to deploy Firefox in a corporate environment?

Ever try to set up the browser so that everyone has the controls the same way, and access to what they need, but not the things they could accidentally screw up their machines with?

Ever try to set up a method to keep a browser like Firefox updated for non-administrative users when an update comes out to fix a security flaw?

See, with IE, you can do that --relatively easily. With Firefox, not so much.

I love Firefox --but every time I hear this tired-old anti-MS rant, I know I'm dealing with someone that doesn't understand the core of enterprise-level computing, which, by the way, is where Microsoft actually makes their money. It's pretty clear that (while they aren't perfect) they know far more about it than you do.

I won't switch because quite frankly Firefox since Vista 64 bit has been pure garbage. Actually let me clarify. Firefox runs like complete crap and is very prone to crashing and locking up in 64 bit Operating Systems.Vista and Windows 7. How's that ?

Firefox went from being reliable and fast with some very neat features to a bug infested, utter piece of crap. Opera actually is a pretty neat little browser and it's fast but something about it just does not appeal to me, don't know what it just does not grab me.

Both IE7 and IE8 just work, no tweaking or cussing required. I'd love to see Firefox get back to where it was as I like having options. With all the crap that google has been pulling lately I have no desire to try Chrome.

I won't switch because quite frankly Firefox since Vista 64 bit has been pure garbage. Actually let me clarify. Firefox runs like complete crap and is very prone to crashing and locking up in 64 bit Operating Systems.Vista and Windows 7. How's that ?

Firefox went from being reliable and fast with some very neat features to a bug infested, utter piece of crap. Opera actually is a pretty neat little browser and it's fast but something about it just does not appeal to me, don't know what it just does not grab me.

Both IE7 and IE8 just work, no tweaking or cussing required. I'd love to see Firefox get back to where it was as I like having options. With all the crap that google has been pulling lately I have no desire to try Chrome.

PEBKAC I've yet to have Firefox crash on any of my computers

IE has a big share because of people who do know their browsers - the business sector IT department who controls domain groups with group policy, something other browser lacks.

Did Microsoft hurt you as a child? Your IE-rage seems quite extreme compared to some I've seen on here.

PEBKAC I've yet to have Firefox crash on any of my computers

Happy for you. No problem between keyboard and chair here. You don't know me, so who the hell are you to come off with a statement like that? Oh, and btw fanboy, if Firefox is so wonderful how the hell come it's never been out of beta ?

Anyway I digress. This thread is supposed to be about IE9 beta not Firefox fanboys coming in here and thread crapping like always. If you actually fucking read what I posted you would have seen that I used Firefox in the past.

I loved Firefox back in the IE6 days. I was highly customizable, had tons of neat features was highly secure and stable, fast and neat UI options. I tried going back to it numbers of times in Vista x64 and it was shit on that OS. I tried again last fall on Windows 7 x64 and it had not gotten much better.

I just want to open the damn browser and go to whatever webpage I'm looking for. In spite of what the Firefox fanboys say Internet Explorer 8 does that just fine.

I use Firefox, Chrome and Opera. I'm not sure where you got the idea that I'm a fanboy. Calm down, boy.

IE 9 looks like it will have some interesting features. I'll likely wait until it's done before I use it as I don't like beta testing browaers much any more.

I use Firefox, Chrome and Opera. I'm not sure where you got the idea that I'm a fanboy. Calm down, boy.

You come off as a fanboy. You post your thread by telling me I'm stupid and then call me a boy? Why don't you just go away ? I'm done.:rolleyes:

You come off as a fanboy. You post your thread by telling me I'm stupid and then call me a boy? Why don't you just go away ? I'm done.:rolleyes:

I called you a boy because that's how you're acting and no, I'm not going to go away. Perhaps you should step away for a minute though, since this is obviously getting you all hot and bothered.

In the spirit of staying on topic, I am looking forward to IE9.

I wish people who didn't understand enterprise computing would get a reasonable clue about how silly this sounds, but it isn't going to happen.

Ever try to deploy Firefox in a corporate environment?

Ever try to set up the browser so that everyone has the controls the same way, and access to what they need, but not the things they could accidentally screw up their machines with?

Ever try to set up a method to keep a browser like Firefox updated for non-administrative users when an update comes out to fix a security flaw?

See, with IE, you can do that --relatively easily. With Firefox, not so much.

I love Firefox --but every time I hear this tired-old anti-MS rant, I know I'm dealing with someone that doesn't understand the core of enterprise-level computing, which, by the way, is where Microsoft actually makes their money. It's pretty clear that (while they aren't perfect) they know far more about it than you do.

I often go to a place where the try to use firefox and it is horrendous. You logon to one computer to check you're emails and then log off and go to another room. Almost always it says "a copy of firefox is already running" and refuses to open. Then it doesn't have updates for flash so youtube doesn't work, and it goes on...

But you have to travel to san fransisco to join the beta program?

I often go to a place where the try to use firefox and it is horrendous. You logon to one computer to check you're emails and then log off and go to another room. Almost always it says "a copy of firefox is already running" and refuses to open. Then it doesn't have updates for flash so youtube doesn't work, and it goes on...

But you have to travel to san fransisco to join the beta program?

I have the exact same problem on my main rig. firefox.exe *32 always remain in the task manager even if I close it. It's fine on my other computers, except it lags on my laptop when scrolling a busy web site.

IE9 can't get here fast enough.

When bulding web pages, it is really lame to have to make sure stuff that works properly in other browsers will work in IE.

Even following Microsoft's documentation doesn't work a lot of the time.

Having to have special cases for IE is really stupid.

IE9 is supposed to be a whole lot better in this respect.

Back