Internet connection seems to drop often

WhatTheSchmidt

Limp Gawd
I'm using MSI wireless Utility with my card, the connection is always 90+% and is pretty fast and good most of the time. All of the sudden for no reason I can fathom the connection stops working and the MSI utility will either display connection is good or it will go back and forth with disconnected and connected but not work. I have to right click on the windows wireless connection and click repair. After the repair it works fine for 15+ minutes but the problem happens again within an hour.

What's going on and how can I fix this? Should I try using windows zero configuration?

We could use some more info:

- What wireless router are you using?
- Any other wireless connected PCs or laptops that exhibit the same problem?

And use WZC and see if your problem is gone.

situation got a lot worse last night..I no longer have internet.
the router is a linksys wrt54gs(pretty sure) The internet is working fine..I'm on it right now on a roommates laptop. The problem happened out of nowhere. I switched over to windows zero configuration and it ran the same way as before for like 6 hours and now it says I'm connected with a good signal to our router but I don't get internet.

Please help, thanks.

drivers, have you reset the router, does it work if you manually configure ip

Control Panel > Network > right click on the wireless and set a IP In the TCP IP, set it to like 192.168.1.69, default gateway 192.168.1.1, subnet 255.255.255.0, dns set as 192.168.1.1 or even try like 4.2.2.2

right click, go to properties, you will see 4 checkboxes in the middle, double click on the one that says TCP/IP

netsh winsock reset didn't do anything after going back to automatic ip

this could be virus/spyware or something possibly so I will try doing hijack this

what else can I try?

I got internet working again using the winsockxpfix program on my usb drive...

I will most likely still lose connection here and there I will report back when I get that problem again

Not sure... the only thing I've seen this happen with is with IPv6 enabled under Vista personally :(. Still, bump and hopefully someone else knows!

Back