Internet connect Issues... :(

Bennyb

2[H]4U
My and my family recently moved to france. The appt. we are in has a cable modem in it. My powerbook running Mac OS v. 10.4.2 can simply plug into the cable modem and be on the internet. My mom's and sister's ibooks running 10.3.9 cannot seem to pick up the signal. They recognize that they are plugged into a modem but just assign themselves ip addresses instead of taking the one I was given on this computer.

I tried to manually configure it, no beans. I tried running the network setup assistant but it asks me fore DCHP client info, which I don't think exists...

Any help?

were you the first person to plug directly into the cable modem after moving in? sometimes european ISP's grab the MAC address and only allow that computer to be online through that connection. a work-around is either sharing the connection through your airport, or buy a router with MAC cloning and put your ethernet adaptor in as the MAC address.

otherwise that's really weird...

are you reseting the modem in between trying the different computers? i really have no idea if the cable protocols/standards in Europe are the same as the states, but with comcast modems, the modem will recognize the MAC address of the network adapter (and remember it). Not sure why they do this, perhaps to prevent people from setting up home networks...anyhow, I need to reset my modem if I want it to work with a different computer than my own.

Back