Internet Caretaker ICANN To Escape US Control

HardOCP News

[H] News
I like how they make it sound like ICANN was being held captive and had to "escape" US control. :(

Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) chief Fadi Chehade expressed his confidence in the move during a press briefing at the opening of the nonprofit organization's meeting this week in Los Angeles. "ICANN is in a very solid, confident place today," Chehade said of its readiness for a 'post US-government role' in charge of the Internet addressing system.

The circus has been in town for quite sometime ( trillion dollar debts, wall street ponzi pump and dump) and now showing ebola (the CDC has a patent on this ?) :eek:

The US gov't may be incompetent in nearly every facet, but handing the internet over to the likes of the UN will not end well.

Yep, give those ICANN folks a few months and wait until they start getting personally charged for other people's speech overseas and for violating other countries myriad speech laws...

Pretty soon they'll figure out the US was a pretty sweet gig and has a fairly light touch when it comes to online freedom of expression and separating the content from the carrier.

The US gov't may be incompetent in nearly every facet, but handing the internet over to the likes of the UN will not end well.

Is this what is going to happen? If so I can imagine all the bullshit that goes on from certain members of the UN who might be granted permanent veto power over shit ICANN does.

Even considering how much The Land of the Free has fallen, I shudder to think what countries like Russia would like to do with the Internet.

hmm. ICANN wants to basically print up all the TLDs they can to sell to spammers, and foreign governments want to enforce their political policy through technical regulations.

I don't think this will work out like ICANN thinks it will.

... and here I was thinking ICANN was the same as iCAN which sells really cheap Chinese shit, especially a/v mounts, which fall apart in short order.

i think it's a mistake giving away control.

didn't they try that with the UN by the inclusion of countries such as russia and china, but everytime there is a veto by these 2 countries for their own selfish ends ? So the system doesn't work when there is inclusion by countries who are known to be oppressive. But how to say no you can't join this exclusive club of regulators without causing another cold war to break out ?

i rather trust the US will do right, more than other countries like zimbabwe, north korea, russia, china, arab states, iran and among others who are run by way more oppressive and backward thinking governments.

if they really must share, why not with the EU which has a better standard compared to other parts of the world.

But i would certainly not leave this in corporate hands. Just look at how the FCC got bought out by the lobbyists in the form of tom wheeler, and their anti net neutrality stance.

Prelude to Internet 2.0, USA only, secure private and ... well ok, the NSA reads everything but ... free from any international entanglements.

An Internet of by and for the American people, fuck the rest of the World. Cast their asses into the DEEP NET and watch'em squirm.

Back