Internet browsing cutting out, Instant messaging maintained

My friend is having a situation with his DSL modem/router where his internet browsing ability will fail over a certain amount of time, but instant messaging is not affected. This happens to all of the PCs on his network. Any possible causes? Using a separate router is an option that hasn't been tried.

Possibly the router is not fit for accepting many connections at once such as using bittorrent or refreshing servers for an online game. Some routers (such as my Actiontec Fios router) have very small NAT tables and when to many connections are opened it will not accept new ones for a couple of minutes. AIM will still be open but any future connection will not be opened such as HTTP.

I was thinking something along those lines, but the only thing is I am running the exact same DSL modem, routed to three computers rather than two and don't have those issues.

Rule out any DNS issues on that computer before spending too much time on anything else. When ComQuack's DNS servers go down, which seems to be far too often for me, the only thing working on my computer is MSN Messenger.

Try pinging google.com, then try pinging 72.14.207.99. If the google.com ping times out, but the other does not... That will certianly narrow down the problem.

Rule out any DNS issues on that computer before spending too much time on anything else. When ComQuack's DNS servers go down, which seems to be far too often for me, the only thing working on my computer is MSN Messenger.

Try pinging google.com, then try pinging 72.14.207.99. If the google.com ping times out, but the other does not... That will certianly narrow down the problem.

Will do.

The modem is a modem router combo (wireless and a 4 port hub built in).
The funny thing is I just started having the exact same problem.

Back