Internet Archive Launches a Commodore 64 Emulator

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
The Internet Archive just launched a free, browser based Commodore 64 Emulator. The website already has over 10,500 programs that are "working and tested for at least booting properly." Interestingly, this release comes the day before the launch of Commodore's own C64 Mini.

We're going to be working on this for a few weeks (screenshotting, testing) and I always appreciate tips of particularly nice ones to put in the Showcase collection. It's based off the VICE emulator (http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net/ ) version 3.2, which is a triumph of engineering. lso it's due to the tireless work of Sgeo who banged his head across our environment, as well as compiling VICE 3.2 in Emscripten, an act inspired by an earlier project by @rjanicek to convert Vice 2.4. We're still working on it, but I think you'll like where it's going.

The upside with a C64 emulator is that Commodore as a company didn't make a bunch of the software that runs on it, unlike Nintendo.

Sadly it seems many of the games can't be played without an old fashion joystick.

Damn, I remember playing the hell out of 'Radar Rat Race' with my son (actually beat it once), now I have that music in my head and can't get it out.

I might have to try this out. I had a C64 and played a few games a lot: MULE, Jumpman Jr, Paradroid, Gateway to Apshai (love getting a tough monster stuck on a corner and killing them through the wall), Archon, 7 Cities of Gold - good times. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch more, but these are a few I've played in the last 5 years or so on an emulator.l

Heart of Africa, Mail Order Monsters, The Captive, Marble Madness, and a whole host of other cool games not included may be a deal breaker for me.

Does have Impossible Mission 1 & 2, Super Cycle, Paradroid, Temple of Apshai trilogy, Winter Games, World Games, and Summer Games 2...those are all games I put a lot of time in with my C128 back in the day, so kudos for that.

Back